Wiki Posts
Search

New to F1... Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to F1... Looking for suggestions

Hello all,

I am getting back into RC Racing after a 10+ year break... MY last car was a Nitro HPI RS4 2... so it's been some time.

I am looking at going mostly electric this time around, as there is limited nitro option in my area. (Greater Seattle) Because of this I am looking at Electric F1.

I gave read some articles over on UF1RC.com and currently leaning towards a Tamiya F104 V2. but also, like the new Speed Passion SP1 that has come out.

any suggestions or thoughts, I am thinking there is far more available for hop-ups and options on the tamiya.... That being said, any suggestions or directions are welcome.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just got the VBC Flash 04 myself and really like the way it is setup and feels, drives good and comes with all the hopups on it already. If you are gonna go with the tamiya I would wait until the trf101 comes out in a couple more weeks. From what I"ve seen this will be the car to beat. Had a big race coming up and just could not wait myself but plan on gitten one once they are available.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I think there's a pretty strong F1 following up in the Seattle area - you should check out some of the local races and see what everyone is running. I'm willing to bet it's primarily Tamiya. We have a mix of Tamiya and 3Racing cars in our area (Portland), the Tamiya seems easier to set up, and more racers running it means you'll have an easier time getting setup advice. I'd mention parts support, but as long as you can get the parts from a reliable source in the US, that's about as good as it's going to get in most cases. Most local shops don't carry F1 parts.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks... I'll have to keep looking, the couple of places I have called have said they have two or three people.

So I guess I will keep looking at the Tamiya and decide between the TRF101 and F104 V2. I know pre-orders are up in some place for the TRF101.

I guess in the meantime, I can look at picking up a new ECS and Motor. I already updated my radio...Crazy how much as changed in 10 or so years.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We have been having a good turnout at Galaxy Hobbies in Lynnwood, also the site of the Tamiya regional.
Fasttrax has also had a bit of people showing up.

At the NW Asphalt Challenge we had 16 entries and I heard of a couple of cars being bought for the next round on June 29th @ Timezone raceway.

I bring a small amount of inventory to the races to support the F1 guys, Tires, decals, bodies and motors.

Stop by Galaxy on Sunday this weekend and ask around. its mostly Tamiya and SP-1's and you're welcome to take a look at any of my cars while you're there.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Tech Rookie

@Difuser

Thanks for the heads up about Galaxy Hobby. I think I stopped in their one afternoon, thats near the play again sports I think. I didn't realize that they raced there. What time do things get going there?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sundays, setup 9ish open track until Noon racing starts at noon
Old 06-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default re F1

Don't buy the speed passion. parts support is hope less.
I am in Australia bought a car locally now can't get parts.
First 4 weeks nobody had them now they stock in USA but i can't checkout to Australia. Local agent is not stocking parts
Go tamiya i have.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Tech Rookie

OK, soooo if I guy, such as myself, coul not wait for the new TRF101 to be released and then hope to get his hands on it, Would I better off looking at the base F104 V2 or something like their F104 V2 Dark Titanium, which has a number of hop-ups already added, including body, fins etc?

Thanks for all the opinions so far.

Last edited by SnyderJD77; 06-11-2013 at 07:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SnyderJD77
OK, soooo if I guy, such as myself, coul not wait for the new TRF101 to be released and then hope to get his hands on it, Would I better off looking at the base F104 V2 or something like their F104 V2 Dark Titanium, which has a number of hop-ups already added, including body, fins etc?

Thanks for all the opinions so far.
Just start with the F104 v2 - the dark titanium one is primarily just looks changes.

And I wouldn't even suggest the TRF101 right now - it'll be so new and bleeding edge, most won't know how to help if you have any issues.

Right now the standard is the F104 v2.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

you know.. i would suggest going to the local track and testing other cars people have. I've tried a few f1 chassis before i picked mine. What is mine? doesn't matter cause yours will ultimately be different as each driver is different.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

That tamiya v2 is a rock. I've hit some serious crap and not a bent thing or broken part. Have had it for almost a year now..
Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrod1933
Don't buy the speed passion. parts support is hope less.
I am in Australia bought a car locally now can't get parts.
First 4 weeks nobody had them now they stock in USA but i can't checkout to Australia. Local agent is not stocking parts
Go tamiya i have.
That's unfortunate but true. I have a tresrey x speed passion sp-1 f1 and I can't get the parts I need to be successful on the track. The car drove really good and I'm impressed with the handling but not impressed with the inventory.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b20btec
That's unfortunate but true. I have a tresrey x speed passion sp-1 f1 and I can't get the parts I need to be successful on the track. The car drove really good and I'm impressed with the handling but not impressed with the inventory.
^ Plus one.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks all, for the words of wisdom. I will be heading to the track this weekend to check out whats new etc...

In the meantime, I ordered the Tamiya F104 Vii with a few hop parts that I think I would want, Aluminum motor mount, carbon driveshaft, titanium kingpins, and adjustable metal uprights...

Also ordered the Body Set Vodafone McLaren - Mercedes MP4-24

ECS, Motor, tires, any additional parts I'll try to get from continued feedback here or at the track.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.