Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
world Championship events >

world Championship events

world Championship events

Old 08-16-2002, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Default world Championship events

Hi,

I want to know more about the RC world championships for RC cars.

Are there a series of events where you have to finish at the top to be in the world championship event? Or is it a once a year event, that as long as you can make it to the country/race you can race?

Also, there are many other championship events like the european championships, Japan championships...etc. are they invitational only?

Also, I would like to know is there a rating system in the RC world like those of tennis, where you will be rated first, second...etc, or as long as you win a world championship race you are the world champ?

Thank you all in advance for any input/reply Thank you very much!
Old 08-16-2002, 11:48 PM
Tech Master

Good morning and greetings from Malta.

I imagine you will find all the info you are asking for in the IFMAR site.

IFMAR is the world body which governs our sport.

I would like to answer most of your questions, but presently I'm in a bit of a rush. Hope to do so later.

Welcome to our sport anyway.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 08-17-2002, 12:24 AM
Tech Master

JohnBull,

Well, i'm not new to the sport, just wanna know more about how the world championship works.

I checked the IFMAR website. Racing in the worlds are not cheap~... plus flying to the location that win the chance to host the world... and hotel.... etc.... Either a really good paying job, or being sponsored, or being lucky that the chamionship race is close to you, otherwise it's kinda hard for regular people to attend~

Maybe they should run a point series race~... that would be nice......
Old 08-17-2002, 12:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

This is how the World Championship works:

It will be held rotationally every other year amongst the members of IFMAR (ROAR for US/CAN; FEMCA for Asia Oceania; and EFRA for Europeans and African nations). This year (or was supposed to be last year), Off Road for example, was held in South Africa which is a member of EFRA. Next year it will be held in I believe Simi Valley or somewhere near Burbank (you're in luck buddy!) and the following year would be in Asia unless all three voting members decided that it'll be held in non voting fourth member countries (south america, etc).

My perception is that the reason why it was held (really...this is my own) once every two years is for the drivers and the sponsors to have enough bragging rights over the competitors and give them enough time for any development, evolution, and revolution--ing their products before the next Worlds. More on the drivers side it gives them a chance to have a break from intense competition while polishing their driving skills in the process.

All the drivers will have to go through several procedures before they can enter the Worlds I believe. There should be local qualifying (for regular joes like you and me) before a state qualifying then from state it goes to regional qualifying and so on. For the worlds, I'm not sure how the qualifying works. It is either on the same day or the day before or even a whole seperate day to itself.

If you ever heard about World Champ warmup, this is how that one works. IFMAR would pick a place in one of its sanctioning member countries with a track setup and temperature similar to the one where the Worlds is going to be held. Last year, the Offroad Warm-up was held in Australia during their fall season (which is completely opposite to us in USA) which has somewhat similar climate of South Africa which was originally going to be held in the October 2001 before Sept 11. tragedy. IFMAR is going to be appoint a track at the country and either lay it out similarly to the one in South Africa or at least the weather and track condition of South Africa.

Maybe you are suggesting about having a World Cup Championship system rather than having it twice a year then? You already read how much the costs are going to add up. Don't you think it's a bit overboard then?
Old 08-17-2002, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Yeah I can see how the cost might add up. But for the pros that shouldn't be a problem since they are sponsored. So point series for pros only should be a nice event to watch.... maybe get few TV programs involve.... that will be really nice.

but the problem is... finding the track to have the point series... it cost organizers a lot of money to hold the event... well... it's just a "thought" .... I sure don't mind turn on RC-vision channel and watch some RC races.... lol
Old 08-17-2002, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

isnt the warmups always held at the track where the actual race is. the warmup for the offroad worlds was not held here in australia, maybe you confused it with the 1/8 onroad worlds held here on sept 15th. i think anyone involved should go to watch or better yet race at a world championship if given the chance. i went to see the final and was amazed at the driving skill. the drivers in the final drove for 1 hour making near no mistakes. these 1/8 onroads go over 100km/h so they arent easy to drive either.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I agree that the World championship should be over say 6 rounds in different countries - preferably different continents too.

It's no problem racing in the World Championship. My son, then just 15 raced in the on road Worlds in 1998 when they were close enough for us to afford the trip - UK. All that was necessary was the go ahead from his local country's ruling body. This was no problem.

The system used in 98 was different to usual for each driver raced 15 races over 3 days - each time with a different set of drivers. this is good because you can get to race with the likes of Masami, Spashett, etc......a chance in a lifetime perhaps.

But getting back to a 6 race championship, most of the big guys do more than 6 big races each year. For instance in the last 3 weeks a number of drivers drove the ROAR race in the states one weekend, followed by the Euros in Switzerland the following weekend, followed by the Reedy race in Spain last weekend. All these races were good enough to be of Worlds standard.

It would mean that the driver who could afford to travel to all would be in with a better chance, but then that's life anyway........money talks!

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i dont think there's a rating/ranking system in the r/c world. as we can see, for different sports, there are different ways they determine who is No.1 or who is World Champ. In fact for some sports, they dont necesarrily have both. Here are diffrent examples:

Tennis (since this was mentioned): The season pretty much has several tournaments which are ATP (for men) sanctioned and participants of these events are given points comensurate to how they perform (if you win you get more points, if you you're eliminted in the 1st round then you get squat - or next to nothing ). i dont know if you get more points for the grand slam titles like US Open, Wimbeldon, Austrailian Open, and the French Open but there's a lot of prestiege in those torunaments since all the top players are usually present - so winning means you won against the best..... anyway, so you earn points per tornament and the one with the most points is ranked No.1. But notice there is no "World Champ" of tennis, just a No.1 player. You can propbaly get away with not winning a grand slam title in a season but still be ranked number one if you join more ATP tournaments (which is what some players do to just get extra points) and finsh consistently high..... well maybe you have to win at least one Grand Slam if they do indeed earn you more points... hehehehe

Billiards/Pool: this sport on the other hand has both a No.1 ranked player and a world champ. For those not familiar, Earl Stickland is the Current World Champ coz he won the World Championships but the number one player in the World is Fancsico Bustamante. I guess what makes it sweeter is that he actually faced Bustamante in the finals of the World Pool Championships.

F1 Racing: this pretty much bridges the gap since the World Champ is also the guy who earns the most points throughout a single race season. But they dont have a single "World Champinship" event where winner takes all. Its a series of Grand Prix's where you accumulate points and most points makes you world champ. it just sucks when a car and driver dominates a sport so much that he doesent have to run the remaining 5-6 races and he still earns the world title. makes for a boring last 5-6 races.

Maybe and F1 type of ranking to detemine the world champ would be a nice format to consider. But then again, it pretty much kills the chances of us unsposnored drivers to actually participate in a year long (or two year long) series. dang! Or maybe they can have the Top 3 finishers of the ROAR Nats, FEMCA, and EFRA championships just compete for a "showdown" or World Championships! Pretty much making the other events into qualifying events. .... hehehe

Last edited by ROBORAT; 08-22-2002 at 02:50 AM.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

ROBORAT.

Great input. Well done. Glad you agree that a system something like F1 would be more suitable.

If we did have a championship of say 6 events - 2 in North America, 2 in Europe, 2 in Eastern Asia, it would actually give more people a chance to compete in a world championship event - for what that's worth.

If you take our example. We are in Europe. As things are at present we only get a World Championship event once every 8 years. This means that having done a World Championship meeting in 98 - that's 4 years ago, we have to wait yet another 4 years before the World Championship is close enough to be affordable to us lesser mortals. If you're from the States the same applies.

With a system of 6 races, all counting, to give you a champion it would give everybody an opportunity to try their hand against the World's best, at least twice annually. And of course if you're a spectator it also gives you more opportunity to enjoy watching the cream racing more often.

In fact I very much liked the system used in 98 where racing is arranged in such a way that every driver races at least once against every other driver. My only criticism on that event was that only 7 races from 15 counted. It should have been at least two thirds, not less than half.

Whatever system is used, the best drivers in the best cars will still win, but it just makes it more ameanable to everyone.

Let's have some more ideas.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

i just want to know if in europe you get an itsc/1:12 world championship or do get any one of the world championships each eight years. still eight years isn't too bad, the last world chamionship before 2001 was 15 years ago here in australia. i think that if you had 6 races for the world championship it would be a bit expensive for the companys. maybe 4 over the two years would be good. speaking of f1 i think it would be cool if there was a manufacturers championship along with the individual drivers championship.
Old 08-22-2002, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Unhappy

An RC channel on tv would be awesome. You could have some of the pros like Kinwald, Matt Francis and others to show us how they start the race, driving methods and tips, and a lot of other things to help us racers out. I know that it gets kind of boring watching the racers at my track race considering I watch them every week. I wish I knew Ted Turner to get all of us hooked up with an RC Vision channel.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:17 AM
Tech Master

Ausracer. I stand to be corrected, but I seem to think that all world championships in RC are bi-annual.

Yes there is a 1/12th world championship. Masami won it...again! What we didn't have this time around in South Africa was a Pro 10 (Pan Car) World class. Pity, because those cars are awesome.

As far as I know there are off road buggy classes for 2wd and 4wd electric, on road TC and 1/12th electric, 1/8th IC and now a 1/10th IC class too. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Is there any place to view results either in real time or close to real time? Thank you
Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bjs227
Is there any place to view results either in real time or close to real time? Thank you
i am sure the guys at RedRC are there for all the 2 weeks of the worlds 1/12th and 1/10
linky link
Old 06-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
i am sure the guys at RedRC are there for all the 2 weeks of the worlds 1/12th and 1/10
linky link
Is that as close to real time as we'll get? How about laps times and info like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.