Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Weather Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 02:24 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hot Weather Racing

What do people change as the day gets hotter/warmer on asphalt?

i would expect all wt of oils to increase etc

Do people lower the temp of the tyre warmers? or does there become a point at which you dont even use warmers?

whats the rule of thumb with additive, thinner when its warmer or thicker?

we use sorex 32s outdoor

Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 03:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nathan Wilson
What do people change as the day gets hotter/warmer on asphalt?

i would expect all wt of oils to increase etc

Do people lower the temp of the tyre warmers? or does there become a point at which you dont even use warmers?

whats the rule of thumb with additive, thinner when its warmer or thicker?

we use sorex 32s outdoor

Thanks
As temps get higher I tend to run thicker oil in the shocks and gear diff as temps do effect them.

I still tend to use tyre warmers but gradually turn them down as the track gets warmer, so as not to overheat the tyres too much during a run.

The additive will normally stay the same as this is dependant on the make up of track surface etc to begin with, not it's temperature.

I try to stay away from too many setup changes to links etc as if the track temp starts to drop due to cloud or wind, it can cause me all sorts of problems.
I find that as the temp increases, the car understeers more, but eventually it will reach a point where the tyres will start to be too hot during the run and you get oversteer.

Skiddins
Old 06-05-2013, 03:50 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks Skiddins,

what rule do you use with additive then as you said it depends on the surfaces, thick for low grip thin for high grip or vice versa?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nathan Wilson
Thanks Skiddins,

what rule do you use with additive then as you said it depends on the surfaces, thick for low grip thin for high grip or vice versa?

Thanks
It depends on the type of asphalt and how old it is etc. There is no solid rule.
I'm afraid you just need to try the different types at the tracks to see what works best.
Best bet is to ask locals what works when you race there.

Skiddins
Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Tech Addict

have you ever used 36r's i still grain up 32's on a cool day
Old 06-06-2013, 03:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
have you ever used 36r's i still grain up 32's on a cool day
At what track?
I've only ever run 36's at WLRC when the track gets very hot.

At Aldershot the tyres grain more than West London, but at West London older tyres work fine until canvass is showing, at Aldershot you can get two good runs, one slightly down on pace, then the drop off is big.

When WLRC had the tarmac first relaid, the tyres looked smooth after every run, in fact they looked like they were being run on carpet. But as the tarmac ages and it all gets dusty and dirty it wears them a bit more.

Skiddins
Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Skiddins
At what track?
I've only ever run 36's at WLRC when the track gets very hot.

At Aldershot the tyres grain more than West London, but at West London older tyres work fine until canvass is showing, at Aldershot you can get two good runs, one slightly down on pace, then the drop off is big.

When WLRC had the tarmac first relaid, the tyres looked smooth after every run, in fact they looked like they were being run on carpet. But as the tarmac ages and it all gets dusty and dirty it wears them a bit more.

Skiddins
i noticed that west london doesnt wear tyres much now,the old surface would kill the front left within 3 rounds,2002 spashett or drescher cant remember exactly ran cs 27 front left and cs22 on the others,i was thinking along the same lines for amcc,36r fl and 32's on the others,if the 36 doesnt grain then the grip should last longer,whats your thoughts ,is it something worth doing with the current rubber? suppose its one of them things ill have to try out one day
Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Define hot.
my track get's up to 170F
then I start running sorex 40r
Old 06-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JayL
Define hot.
my track get's up to 170F
then I start running sorex 40r
in the uk if we get a good summer then track temps can get to about 60/70c air temps can reach around 35c
at the mo track temps have been around 35c and air around 20c
Old 06-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I race in Florida and it gets very hot here. We run Solaris hard premounts and they work great. I have used Sorex 36R and they are fast for 2 runs then fall of drastically. Honestly I wish TakeOff was still around. CS27's and RP30's were not as fast as the newest tires but they would maintain consistent lap times and feel for 3 or 4 runs in Mod and a lot longer in Spec classes (5-6 runs) even on hot abrasive asphalt.

Trinity Tire Tweak and Gravity R/C LG2 are thick oil based compounds that make tires stick and last in hot conditions.

Car setup and driving is critical in hot conditions. If you have a slight push you will roast your front tires. If you drive hard and pitch your car you will roast all your tires. you have to set up your car to stick and drive it within the limits to go fast. Especially at limited control tire events.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
i noticed that west london doesnt wear tyres much now,the old surface would kill the front left within 3 rounds,2002 spashett or drescher cant remember exactly ran cs 27 front left and cs22 on the others,i was thinking along the same lines for amcc,36r fl and 32's on the others,if the 36 doesnt grain then the grip should last longer,whats your thoughts ,is it something worth doing with the current rubber? suppose its one of them things ill have to try out one day
On Sunday I ran a new set in round 3 and used the same tyres until the 2nd final, when I swapped the tyres left to right and right to left (to see if I could get any steering back as the outside tyre was getting a bit thin), my best lap was actually slightly quicker on the swapped tyres than the 1st final where they were on their 4th run (less than 0.1 though).

Personally I wouldn't bother putting different compounds on as it can create other problems.

To the American's, I think our definition of 'hot weather' might be slightly different to your's

My local track is typically around 20-25degC surface temp during the season. If it warms up and we get a day with just sunshine the track can get as high as 55degC. Bare in mind we tend to run 32 tyres and you can see we have to manage setups a little differently. Particularly at nationals where Sorex 32RY's are the only tyre allowed.

Last edited by Skiddins; 06-06-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Addict

On Sunday I ran a new set in round 3 and used the same tyres until the 2nd final, when I swapped the tyres left to right and right to left (to see if I could get any steering back as the outside tyre was getting a bit thin), my best lap was actually slightly quicker on the swapped tyres than the 1st final where they were on their 4th run (less than 0.1 though).

Personally I wouldn't bother putting different compounds on as it can create other problems.

i made a bad decision in the second final to put an old set of rears on the front and when i turned in the car span out did 3 laps and pulled off,they just had too much grip against the worn rears that id left on,swapping sides would have been a better option,ah well something else ive learned,looking good for this weekend,bookings are up in all classes,should be a good day
Old 06-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

To the American's, I think our definition of 'hot weather' might be slightly different to your's

My local track is typically around 20-25degC surface temp during the season. If it warms up and we get a day with just sunshine the track can get as high as 55degC. Bare in mind we tend to run 32 tyres and you can see we have to manage setups a little differently. Particularly at nationals where Sorex 32RY's are the only tyre allowed.
55c is on the low to mid end of the surface temp scale in So-Cal for most of the year, Sorex36 are most common here

It's not unusual to see 25-30c carpet temps either
Old 06-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

Regards to tyre additive Nathan. Use mr33 at Stafford. Tested a few there and that was found to work the best. Keep it out of direct sunlight if it is hot too. That way it works better.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Tech Regular

Do people tend to alter roll centers,to get the car to free up more keep tyres little cooler