New Novak Brusless System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Those thermalling issues i mentioned were happening on a 1/8th eurotrack as well. It was no surprise for me to have these problems - i had ~8.0 gearing on N4.5 (imagine track size). The funny thing is that the guy with sphere/vector was thermalling earlier than me (8.2+ FDR) and 2 other guys with the very same systems did not have any problems (7.8 FDR).
Old 09-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lokanas
Those thermalling issues i mentioned were happening on a 1/8th eurotrack as well. It was no surprise for me to have these problems - i had ~8.0 gearing on N4.5 (imagine track size). The funny thing is that the guy with sphere/vector was thermalling earlier than me (8.2+ FDR) and 2 other guys with the very same systems did not have any problems (7.8 FDR).

8.0 Gearing!! When a Bro of mine said he was using 9.2.I told him he was mad...

I ran my N4.5R on a 1/8 track also using 10.0 gearing,was fast already...Gosh I must try it one day!
Old 09-18-2006, 03:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ben.C
8.0 Gearing!! When a Bro of mine said he was using 9.2.I told him he was mad...

I ran my N4.5R on a 1/8 track also using 10.0 gearing,was fast already...Gosh I must try it one day!
Yeah, i was seriously scared when first tried it. I tried to be easy with the throttle finger - with slightly used 3800's i was finishing with ~150-50mah left in the batts.

First i felt fastest on the track, but two guys became fed up with their 8T's maintenance during quals and switched to Spheres. After that i went up from 8.2 to 8.0-7.9... I tried to go a tooth/two lower after first thermal but i was too slow..
And again... i was VERY soft on a throttle just to make runtime.

Here's a pic of the track...
Attached Thumbnails New Novak Brusless System-tor_max.jpg  
Old 09-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LeoChan
Hi All :
Do you know If use 3.5R or 4.5R in Cyclone use which gear ratio ?

Thanks!
I ran the 3.5 on the Cyclone with a 23/110 gear combo for a fdr of 11.65 and it came of the track at 130 degress.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

Just because a track is big doens't mean the systems can pull huge gear. They can pull a "bit" more, but nothing like what you're trying to do.

This is the same as overgearing a regular motor and having it burn brushes, unsolder a wire, or melt the ESC. Instead of those horrific outcomes, you simply get a shut down. It's not bad, its just overgeared is all.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Pardon me, but I have a question. I would like to know what is the height on the speed controller with out the fan on the heat sink? Also is the cap required for running the BL in a 12th scale running 4 cells? I am asking after having problems with the Sphere/neo 3 star. I am looking to going novak since I never had problems with Novak speedos.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Charlie
Just because a track is big doens't mean the systems can pull huge gear. They can pull a "bit" more, but nothing like what you're trying to do.

This is the same as overgearing a regular motor and having it burn brushes, unsolder a wire, or melt the ESC. Instead of those horrific outcomes, you simply get a shut down. It's not bad, its just overgeared is all.
Yes, in general i do agree with you, but on that particular track any gearing down just ment letting others pass. I don't blame the system - heh I LOVE IT! It just reminds me regular 12T races on huge tracks - overgeared, overtimed stuff, coming off the track with white burnt brushes ... (i mean it's a serious task to find compromise on a track like this). At least brushless felt like "some little problems" while a year ago 12T felt like worst nightmare on the same track )

And i still got 3rd place during this race, so it's not too bad for my first brushless race

Last edited by Lokanas; 09-18-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarlosG.
Pardon me, but I have a question. I would like to know what is the height on the speed controller with out the fan on the heat sink? Also is the cap required for running the BL in a 12th scale running 4 cells? I am asking after having problems with the Sphere/neo 3 star. I am looking to going novak since I never had problems with Novak speedos.
And erm... might I ask what problems?? I plan on driving the sphere/ 3 star on 4 cells as well in my CK. Just curious...
Old 09-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lokanas
Yes, in general i do agree with you, but on that particular track any gearing down just ment letting others pass. I don't blame the system - heh I LOVE IT! It just reminds me regular 12T races on huge tracks - overgeared, overtimed stuff, coming off the track with white burnt brushes ... (i mean it's a serious task to find compromise on a track like this). At least brushless felt like "some little problems" while a year ago 12T felt like worst nightmare on the same track )

And i still got 3rd place during this race, so it's not too bad for my first brushless race
I imagine a sintered rotor would sort that out or better yet, a 3.5.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Tech Master

Specs should be on the website. I don't have an ESC or Caliper handy to measure at the moment. You should ALWAYs run the cap on any Novak ESC, or any ESC in my personal opinion, but you don't need the fan for 4 cell applications at all.

We've had medium good luck with the GTB in 12th applications for sure. The power to weight ratio makes a big difference. Most Club Race atmospheres need nothing hotter then the 5.5R.

I recommend the Sintered Rotor for EVERY SINGLE application. It ALWAYS helps and will always allow the motor to survive any heating issues better. Additionally the brakes are significantly better with a sintered rotor.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Charlie, I have looked on the website, the instruction manual, and still have not found the measurement for the GTB with and with out the fan. Does anybody know what the height difference is? It would be greatly appreciated to find this out.

Quante, I will not mention anymore about that other than you would have to read the LRP Sphere brushless thread to find out.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarlosG.
Charlie, I have looked on the website, the instruction manual, and still have not found the measurement for the GTB with and with out the fan. Does anybody know what the height difference is? It would be greatly appreciated to find this out.

Quante, I will not mention anymore about that other than you would have to read the LRP Sphere brushless thread to find out.
its about 24mm without the fan
Old 09-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Charlie, how should we expect the sintered rotor to perform relative to the others? The blurb on Novak's site says "increased performance." I've been experimenting with it in a 4300 the last few weeks, and while I definitely think it feels more natural (better drag brake), it seems like the guys with the stock rotors are faster than me. I do have the option of giving it a lot more gear, though, and it doesn't have any issues with heat where other guys fighting with thermal shutdown.

It seems like sintered magnets, now that they're reasonably priced, are the way to go in applications such as R/C.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Thanks MarcoJ.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:30 PM
The Evicerator

Where you are really getting that "increased performance" is the fact that the rotor is now much more reliable under high rpm and high heat and that the feel is better.

With the slower wind motors the out speed of the motor will not vary that much from the stock rotors save that the sintered rotor will pull a slightly taller gearing.

The sintered rotor shines a bit more in the faster motors like the 5.5, 4.5, and 3.5 turn motors where reliability is a must

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.