Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It's good to see some people who are willing to spend some time mounting their electronics instead of just putting the receiver up on the servo (or topdeck ). Nice mounting jobs guys. I'm going to put up some pictures hopefully tomorrow or thursday so you can see how i wired the brushed motor into the GTB.

As for the GTB studdering and stuff with the 4.5, I'm guessing it's only under acceleration? If so it's probably because it's drawing so many amps that there's not enough power for the rx to operate properly. You could try either running a receiver pack or putting one of those little rx caps (like the MuchMore ones) on your rx and see if that helps, I'm guessing it should.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Tech Initiate

hey guys i just got my gtb 4.5r and im having a problem i cant seem to get the reverse to work...i tried profile 2 and 5 the reverse doesnt work...any suggestion ...or am i doing something wrong...

what i did i hold the set butten until i get to the profile selection...then i set it to the profile i want....after that i hold the set button again to set it up...then the red and amber led becomes solid..i did everything what the manual said ...and still it doesnt work...help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:37 AM
Tech Master

i bought a 5.5R
is there any thing i should avoid doing when installing?
any tips and trick?

(new to EP)
Old 06-14-2006, 05:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by James
We had some issues at our local track/shop recently with a 4.5 system.. It just wouldnt work properly (glitching, stuttering, etc)...

radio gear is KO EX-10, 40Mhz...

we changed everything... changed to KO EX-1 Mars R 40mhz.. changed the 4.5 motor to another one, all sorts of things... same glitchy stuttering.

We spoke to HEI (the aust distributer for novak) and they said that the Novak 4.5R doesnt work with 40Mhz radio gear!

what the ?

I run a 5.5R system with my EX-10 helios 40Mhz system no problem, and also with DSM, no problem...

hrmmm very strange that just running the 4.5R with 40Mhz has these issues?

James
I have also had some weird problems with the GTB, ran for 2 full days then started having major glitching issues, tried moving everything around, no good, then moved receiver on top of servo, PT to the tront body mounts, and cap up in the air. Also put 2 ferrite rings on the motor wires, and 1 on the neg power wire. Ran it on Sunday without a problem. Only thing now the wiring looks very ugly.

Dont bother dealing with HEI they wont give you useful information. Charlie has told me that they have had some issues with 40 meg, i assume the noise generated by the extra load of the 4.5 causes more problems with 40 than other signals.

Try the above and see if you can get it working properly.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

guys just a question, is it normal for 4.5 brushless to be a bit noisy during running than mod brushed motors? or is there a problem with it.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

Mine is a lot quieter than a brushed motor - it's pretty much silent all I can here is tyre noise and maybe the transmission and the car whistling through the air at speed.....so I'd say something is mechanically up with either the motor or your car's transmission.

Dan
Old 06-14-2006, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by James
We had some issues at our local track/shop recently with a 4.5 system.. It just wouldnt work properly (glitching, stuttering, etc)...

radio gear is KO EX-10, 40Mhz...

we changed everything... changed to KO EX-1 Mars R 40mhz.. changed the 4.5 motor to another one, all sorts of things... same glitchy stuttering.

We spoke to HEI (the aust distributer for novak) and they said that the Novak 4.5R doesnt work with 40Mhz radio gear!

what the ?

I run a 5.5R system with my EX-10 helios 40Mhz system no problem, and also with DSM, no problem...

hrmmm very strange that just running the 4.5R with 40Mhz has these issues?

James
Did you try adding a Cap to the receiver? Ive had to add a cap everytime ive used my GTB and 5.5r. Isnt a huge issue (unless i run out of places to put the cap!) Maybe Novak should add an additional cap to the reciever circuitry?? Ive used my system on 27mhz am, 27mhz fm and 40mhz fm and had to use a cap each time. thats in both a touring car 6 cell and a pan car 6 cell.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Besercoe
I have also had some weird problems with the GTB, ran for 2 full days then started having major glitching issues, tried moving everything around, no good, then moved receiver on top of servo, PT to the tront body mounts, and cap up in the air. Also put 2 ferrite rings on the motor wires, and 1 on the neg power wire. Ran it on Sunday without a problem. Only thing now the wiring looks very ugly.

Dont bother dealing with HEI they wont give you useful information. Charlie has told me that they have had some issues with 40 meg, i assume the noise generated by the extra load of the 4.5 causes more problems with 40 than other signals.

Try the above and see if you can get it working properly.

Hey Brad, again chuck a cap into your reciever. I was lucky that i got two caps in a box with a second hand car, so i put on one of the caps with a set of spare servo leads, and it solved the problem totally. before the cap, i found that if i used the throttle up to about half throttle, the car was fine. as soon as i got heavy on the gas, the steering would lock and id have no response from the radio. I put the cap on, and i was slamming the gas on my 10 pan. Didnt have to move a thing. Ive read up a little on running caps. seems to be a big problem on the LRP brushless, so tried it and it totally worked for my car.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan415ms
Mine is a lot quieter than a brushed motor - it's pretty much silent all I can here is tyre noise and maybe the transmission and the car whistling through the air at speed.....so I'd say something is mechanically up with either the motor or your car's transmission.

Dan
My 5.5r was very quiet when i bought it. now its getting noticably louder. Im guessing the bearings arent that good anymore as the motor still produces crazy power. im going to strip it, and thoroughly clean the bearings and put in some lite speed bearing oil. I think to say these motors are 0 maintenance isnt true, you still need to look after your bearings.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by kidrobot
hey guys i just got my gtb 4.5r and im having a problem i cant seem to get the reverse to work...i tried profile 2 and 5 the reverse doesnt work...any suggestion ...or am i doing something wrong...

what i did i hold the set butten until i get to the profile selection...then i set it to the profile i want....after that i hold the set button again to set it up...then the red and amber led becomes solid..i did everything what the manual said ...and still it doesnt work...help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anybody???can u help me please....
Old 06-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've never tried putting the GTB into reverse so I cant help you out directly. But what I would do is call Novaks customer service line and talk to them directly, they're very helpful and will walk you through it to make sure you don't miss any steps .
Old 06-14-2006, 10:57 AM
The Evicerator

Kidrobot:

What is happening is that everytime you do a one touch setup on the ESC, it returns the ESC to profile 1 (the default profile)

So, do this:

Do a one touch setup just to make sure that your radio settings are all fine.

Full end points, no exponential, etc.

Then, once you finish with the one touch setup, THEN change the profile to profile #2 or #5.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

Got some pics right now. Here's a close up of my 4.5 assembly.

Re glitching, I'm sure it's a case of positioning of electrics. I use 40Fm with a KO Vantage and Novak XXL receiver and have never experienced any such problems.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
I think to say these motors are 0 maintenance isnt true, you still need to look after your bearings.
As you do all motors.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:58 PM
Tech Adept

The best way I have found to run brushless and brushed is soldering a battery bar to the neg tab of the brushed motor for more soldering room. If you do it that way your wires will reach both setups and its very clean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.