Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 02:57 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can run the 5800 rotor and endbell on the 5.5 motor (stator). I could not fit the new rotor (has carbon or kevlar thread wrap on it to prevent explosion presumably) into the old stator (old 5800 can, may have just been the circular phase connector plate, not necessarily the actual stator being too small). Using propellors, I saw minimal, if any, power difference with a rotor swap.

If it's too much power for you Dave, try this:
http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-b...AT_ID=rs_380ph

Also if you are paying attention, it looks like the ROAR rules have changed to allow increased variation of stack and rotor sizes in brushless.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:08 AM
Tech Master

Gordon

What kind of connectors are you using for the motors?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I think those are 3.5 mm connectors (male & female). http://www.precisionrc.com/nv/car/pr...roduct_id=3278
Old 11-10-2005, 03:17 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yea, pretty standard 3.5mm "gold" type connector:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJPY2&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJPY3&P=7

Those aren't the exact ones I'm using but the same basic thing. I've got different ones from different manufacturers and they still fit each other.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman
Yea, pretty standard 3.5mm "gold" type connector:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJPY2&P=7
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJPY3&P=7

Those aren't the exact ones I'm using but the same basic thing. I've got different ones from different manufacturers and they still fit each other.
almost the same thing im using,,, works great,,, also the same kind used with the mamba.. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXKYD1

i bought 2 sets,, one for the 5.5 motor and the other for the brushed motors i use
Old 11-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys,

Dose anyone know the size of the front bearing in the 5.5 ? Mine is really rough straight out of the box. And it squeels when i rev the motor.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Timox
Hey guys,

Dose anyone know the size of the front bearing in the 5.5 ? Mine is really rough straight out of the box. And it squeels when i rev the motor.
It's a 1/8" x 3/8" sized bearing. Are you sure it's the actual bearing that's causing the squeeling?
Old 11-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the reply

Yep, Its the bearing for sure.... It is so tight in the end bell that it is being crushed/warped which is making it feel rough.

It was like this straight from the box. When i take the bearing out of the end bell it feels ok, but when its in there and you spin it in your fingers it is as rough as guts.... Its just like squeezing it in some pliers while trying to spin it. Feels like its full of rocks or something

I'm going to have to put the end bell in the lathe and relieve it a little where the bearing goes now.

And yes i have pulled the thing apart and cleaned with motor spray ( the bearing thar is). So no it dosent have any grit in it or anything like that.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quality control on two of the three Novak motors i've had has been rather lacking.

In one motor all the screws were loose... and couldn't be tightened. Two of the endcap screws were actually loose in the packaging. It was so screwed up that it was pretty amuzing. And it wasn't a return.

The second motor makes a pretty loud squeal from 80-100% throttle. I don't know why, and I oiled the bearings and what not... it seems to run okay, but the squeal is pretty strange.

My third motor was fine. No squeal, and the screws stay put. So Novak's batting .333 in my experience...

If your motor is sketchy, send it back. It's the only way Novak will know...
Old 11-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Tech Adept

Just got back from racing dirt tonight. My friend and I both have GTB escs but he has the 5800 motor and I have the 6.5. I can honestly say that I could see no difference in power anywhere on the track. Anyone else out there have any experience with the GTB and the 5800 motor. In case your wondering track size is 100 X 50 and we were both geared at 81x18 in a B4.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:45 AM
Tech Regular

Cant send it back.... I need it now and have no time to wait for a replacment.

Besides, I have fixed it myself.. Put the end bell in the lathe and shaved a little off where the bearing sits. Poped the bearing back in and now it is as smooth as silk.

Oh and by the way. Its the 1/2" x 3/16" bearing not the 1/8 x 3/8.

Have any of you also noticed if the black plastic end cap screws are on too tight it warpes something inside making a rough sounding motor? Take the screws out and the cap off and give the motor a run... It will sound 200% smoother... And give an extra 200rpm or more...

I'm rather dissapointed in Novak... I have come to expect better from them.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Timox
Oh and by the way. Its the 1/2" x 3/16" bearing not the 1/8 x 3/8.
I just assumed that the SS5800 endbell/bearing kit was the same as the 5.5's, sorry.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Davenport: Have you experimented with gearing at all? I also have the 6.5 in a b4 but with the gearing you mentioned it only felt equivalent to a really good stock in top speed. It had ridiculous amounts of bottom end but just didn't seem to get anywhere in the straight.

I have progressively increased the gearing and am currently at 25/81 and am still getting 6 minutes run time out of some very tired 3300's and it has no problems spinning the wheels in fact I have had to loosen the slipper and play around with the Mars settings to decrease bottom end to help the tyres last a little longer. The motor is coming off luke warm and the speedy is hot but you can hold your hand on the heatsink and last time I checked it was about 15degC below the suggested limits.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

Davenport: Have you experimented with gearing at all? I also have the 6.5 in a b4 but with the gearing you mentioned it only felt equivalent to a really good stock in top speed. It had ridiculous amounts of bottom end but just didn't seem to get anywhere in the straight.
Nope but but I will next weekend. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Default The GTB has been a great speedo.

One thing, when is the upgrade rotor/endbell come out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.