Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 08:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Novak GTB 2.5?

Regarding the Novak GTB brushless motor series, does anyone know whether there are plans to produce a 2.5 BL GTB system (step-up in power compared with 3.5 BL)? Guess what I'm really asking is how much more (if any) RPM, torque (power) can be squeezed out of a these BL motors? At some point there's a ceiling (or floor) with respect to continually increasing power with a given motor design, right? Anyone know something about the engineering and science behind what actually makes these motors generate power? Is the 3.5 BL GTB system close to being "maxed out" as far as power goes, or can we expect additional power increases from these BL systems in the near future?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys,

I just got a GTB and wondering if I could put the Cap a little further (with longer wires). That would help balancing the car.

Thanks in advance.

Jon Gagnon
Old 07-22-2007, 09:22 PM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Doing some bench test on my new installed, Novak GTB with 10.5SS. When I hold full throttle position for 3 sec or so, the ESC would stutter to a slower speed then goes back to full throttle again, or when I hold to around 30-40% throttle the motor would stop and red led blinks. Trouble shooting says about the sensor cable, I did shorten the cable and made sure 6 pins has contact. What else can be wrong?

Any help is appreciated...
Attached Thumbnails New Novak Brusless System-cimg1886.jpg  
Old 07-23-2007, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

anyone else have problems with the switch wire coming off the esc while racing? if so what should i do to fix it? shoe goo?
Old 07-23-2007, 03:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer34v
anyone else have problems with the switch wire coming off the esc while racing? if so what should i do to fix it? shoe goo?
is the switch itself secured? and free from any sudden force of moment?

I and many others have the switch assembly installed above the servo with double sided tape. Never had any wires from the switch worked itself loose.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)

yup, its double sided to the top deck and theres slack in the line.... it may have been operator error as well as it was the first time i ran the car since i built it.....i only ran once after i slid it back together the rest of the way and it seemed fine int hat run
Old 07-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

TFR - Make sure the sensor wire plug is fully seated into the ESC... One local racer had similar issues and he just hadn't gotten it plugged in solid enough...

Worth a check...
Old 07-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I wish there is a search within a thread that has 100 of pages...LOL

Here is my question....need another GTB system for my 12th scale..however, not really interested JUST for the 12th scale only, there is another TC that I would like to swap speedo/motor onto.......does 6 cells regular GTB works with 4 cells without losing a lot of stuff?

Also, does regular GTB be able to remove the heatsink like the 4 cell version? I think I tried to remove my exisitng GTB but it does not seems like it can be remove after removing the 4 screws...is that heat sink doubleside taped onto the GTB?

Last...I know the latest verison of GTB has LIPO cutoff, how about Brushless/brushed motor switch...do they have the update that the owner no longer need to press button to switch to brushed mode..? Just like the other brand brushless speedo does...? Or it still required the owner to switch to BRUSHED mode or we will see the GTB on flame....thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara

Here is my question....need another GTB system for my 12th scale..however, not really interested JUST for the 12th scale only, there is another TC that I would like to swap speedo/motor onto.......does 6 cells regular GTB works with 4 cells without losing a lot of stuff?

Also, does regular GTB be able to remove the heatsink like the 4 cell version? I think I tried to remove my exisitng GTB but it does not seems like it can be remove after removing the 4 screws...is that heat sink doubleside taped onto the GTB?

Last...I know the latest verison of GTB has LIPO cutoff, how about Brushless/brushed motor switch...do they have the update that the owner no longer need to press button to switch to brushed mode..? Just like the other brand brushless speedo does...? Or it still required the owner to switch to BRUSHED mode or we will see the GTB on flame....thanks
the regular GTB will work on your 12th scale with 4 cells , i ran mine just fine i just removed the fan.I wouldn remove the heatsink myself.

with the gtb you still have to go through the set up to run brushed motor unless you get the newer esc from novak the XBR but it has a motor limit of 8.5 brushless but no motor limit on brushed and it has lipo cut off built it
Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
the regular GTB will work on your 12th scale with 4 cells , i ran mine just fine i just removed the fan.I wouldn remove the heatsink myself.

with the gtb you still have to go through the set up to run brushed motor unless you get the newer esc from novak the XBR but it has a motor limit of 8.5 brushless but no motor limit on brushed and it has lipo cut off built it
Thanks Marco...........so even the most current model of GTB I still have to switch manually between brushed and brushless mode...?
Also...when you run your GTB on your 12th scale, you still need to use the CAP right..? Thanks..
Old 07-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Thanks Marco...........so even the most current model of GTB I still have to switch manually between brushed and brushless mode...?
Also...when you run your GTB on your 12th scale, you still need to use the CAP right..? Thanks..
yes i kept the cap on it i have a pic let me find it!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It's back, look down a little from the top search, there's search thread.

Last edited by swopemike; 07-26-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi guys,

Im about to buy a GTB Brushless System 10.5 to race 19T class.

Im not new on onroad racing but totally new to electrics, so hi have some questions :

1.- Batteries. I want a budget oriented solution, would be a good idea to go for a couple of lipo packs (7.4v 3.xxxmah lipo packs x 2) or a couple of 4.200mah NiMh packs ?.

2.- I have two chargers, one ICE and one Multiplex MULTICharger LN-5014, its enough for electric touring racing ?.

3.- I see you sometimes use a capacitor connected to the ESC, what it is for ?, when you have to use it ?, do i have to ?

4.- Almost sure i will be racing a XRAY T2 '007, on medium size technical track, any idea of the pinion size i have to use on the GTB Brushless system ?

5.- I see that you can buy differente GAUGE wires to mount the batt packs, when you have to use higher or lower numbers (12, 14, 18, etc ?).

6.- Any sugestion on connectors ?, im not on the idea of 100% soldered installation.

7.- If i go for lipo batts, i DO have to buy a balancer ?

thanks a lot guys !!
Old 07-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Hi guys,

Im not new on onroad racing but totally new to electrics, so hi have some questions :

1.- Batteries. I want a budget oriented solution, would be a good idea to go for a couple of lipo packs (7.4v 3.xxxmah lipo packs x 2) or a couple of 4.200mah NiMh packs ?.

2.- I have two chargers, one ICE and one Multiplex MULTICharger LN-5014, its enough for electric touring racing ?.

3.- I see you sometimes use a capacitor connected to the ESC, what it is for ?, when you have to use it ?, do i have to ?

4.- Almost sure i will be racing a XRAY T2 '007, on medium size technical track, any idea of the pinion size i have to use on the GTB Brushless system ?

5.- I see that you can buy differente GAUGE wires to mount the batt packs, when you have to use higher or lower numbers (12, 14, 18, etc ?).

6.- Any sugestion on connectors ?, im not on the idea of 100% soldered installation.

thanks a lot guys !!
1. Depends on your club, and what they allow.

2. Yes ICE and LN5104 works fine

3. Yes you SHOULD use the capacitor.

5. Use only 14 or 12 Guage. Less resistance then 16

6. Connectors newbies usually use deans. I use bullet connectors

7. Yes if you run lipo you need to balance. The orion Lipo, you can just charge each cell individually every 10 charges. i.e you can balance but u dont need a balancer

p.s it sound like the Orion Carbon Fibre 3200 would suit your needs best
Old 07-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Hi guys,

thanks a lot guys !!

1. depends on where you race, if they alow Lipo. but i've heard you give up quite a bit of punch at the start. i'll find out this weekend (running 10.5) as i'll try to swap between NiMH and a lipo pack.

3. MUST use the capacitor that comes with the GTB

4. 10.5 FDR is around 5.5 to 5, depending on the flow and size of your track, if you're using a sintered rotor. so pinion gear would depend on what size of spur you're using.

5. i use 12. but 14 should be fine.

6. euro-style plugs for me. i'm not so hot on direct soldering as well.

here's a pic of my T2 if you want an idea on how to mount a GTB on a T2 (Running an Orion motor though)

hths.
Attached Thumbnails New Novak Brusless System-dsc01377.jpg   New Novak Brusless System-dsc01376.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.