Wiki Posts
Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
how does it protect the speedo? Cyclones didnt have one! What would be a good replacement because I refuse to drop $17 on an OEM novak one!
i guess you can kiss your warranty good bye
Old 07-18-2007, 12:24 PM
The Evicerator

The reason that the cap does a good job of protecting the ESC is because it is a very high quality capacitor with a very low ESR which means that it reacts very quickly to voltage fluctuations durring operation.

An "equivalent" voltage and capacitance capacitor bought through a store like radio shack might only cost you $1... but it's ESR is so high that it will do nothing to protect the ESC from the ripple current caused by the switching of the ESC.

$17 is a small price to pay when the alternative is an eventual replacment cost of an entire ESC.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

how does it protect the speedo? Cyclones didnt have one! What would be a good replacement because I refuse to drop $17 on an OEM novak one!
The Cyclones also had different FET's. If you'd like to have a brushless speedo that's a whole bunch bigger they can probably use some of those older components.

Without the cap, the speedo will go "flat" and you'll end up with a speedo that's either slow or just plain runs hot. I think that my old "blue" speedo's went flat because they had a small cap (or no cap).
Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The ESC WILL run hotter without the cap. You should use it
Old 07-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Awww Give us a chance to answer the Cap buisness
you lot are too quick

Be Nice to get a BL speedo with a small Foot print & a smaller wiring loom
things are monterous

got it release new gadjets with old crap insdie to get rid off
then slowly release smaller & smaller ones in the future so we buy the same thing over & over

just go small & be done with it
Old 07-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by DOTMAN
The ESC WILL run hotter without the cap. You should use it
i wear a cap & my wife has one aswell
Old 07-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hi i try set minimun brake and drag brake independently.

however whenever i change min brake, it seem drag brake changes aswell.

e.g if I set min brake to 4 flashes, drag brake also goes to 4 flashes.

then if I set drag brake to 6 flashes, the min brake goes to 6 flashes aswell.

is this normal? shouldnt they be independent of one another?
Old 07-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
The reason that the cap does a good job of protecting the ESC is because it is a very high quality capacitor with a very low ESR which means that it reacts very quickly to voltage fluctuations durring operation.

An "equivalent" voltage and capacitance capacitor bought through a store like radio shack might only cost you $1... but it's ESR is so high that it will do nothing to protect the ESC from the ripple current caused by the switching of the ESC.

$17 is a small price to pay when the alternative is an eventual replacment cost of an entire ESC.

is there a reason the cap is 17 dollars
Old 07-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

is there a reason the cap is 17 dollars
its more than just a simple $1 cap that you get from elextronics store.. there is a small circuit board, wiring and heat shrink. all would all to the cost.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GymBeam
its more than just a simple $1 cap that you get from elextronics store.. there is a small circuit board, wiring and heat shrink. all would all to the cost.
Well, he said he dented the cap, so he must just go to an electronics components store. show them the cap, get the exact same one.
Then remove the "dented" one and replace with the new one.
Just check for bad soldering (shorts) and capacitor polarity (there's a big "-" at one leg).

Who goes out and buy this thing for $17 when there's a simple 2$ fix...
Old 07-19-2007, 12:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss

Idd, very true, that high quality cap did a very good job protecting my esc...thats why my Novak went dead all of a sudden...
Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

so do you think I can run without the cap?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:17 AM
Tech Addict

so do you think I can run without the cap?
Normally you shouldnt because you'll heat up the ESC... but hey, its your GTB... (maybe you got more money than me )
Old 07-20-2007, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdy
No prob pre... I also notice between fdr of 10.2 and 10.5 theres no speed difference. so to be safe 10.5 nlang.

I also don't think theres any effect on your radio settings. happy brushless racing lewd...
Hi rcdy, I just sent out my GTB + 4.5R set to Novak as recommended by Charlie. It seems the GTB is failing this is why the system shutdowns even at moderate and correct gearing. The courier charged me US$37! Wow this is becoming more expensive

Anyway, thanks to Novak they have this superb service and support.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Adept

caps - i dented mine during a meeting and i then thermalled 3 minutes into the next race (having never thermalled ever). put new on problem gone. you need the poxy cap, two novak people have continually said this over last dozen pages, people agreed and you just got an explaination and you don't believe them. don't come crying to this thread when you blow it to hell cheapskate!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.