Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 04:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default motor or esc?

hi guys..

was wondering if you guys have got this problem before...i have a novak 4.5 mounted on my car with a spectrum system...i used this gearing of 9.7 on my car and it has been fine all this while...but till yesterday..the motor just did not response all of a sudden 3 mins into the run,it was only for a short while..then it started working again....at first, i thought it was an over heating issue...but when i measured the temperature on the esc and the motor....both of them were at 58 degress celcius....i did check the wires on the motor...but they were perfectly fine...was just wondering if any of you have got such a problem occuring before...i was wondering if it is due to the cool day which sort of caused the motor to over rev due to the lack of grip...but the motor was only heated to less then 60degrees celcius....doesn't really make sense.....was wondering any of you have encountered such problems and the how i can do to solve it..
Old 12-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Shutdown

I have a 4.5 and DX2.

All the shutdown issues I have had in recent (last few months) have been related to either thermal shutdown or low voltage. This in both offroad stadium truck and onroad touring car.

Since the issue is not temp, I would check voltage next. Is the cap on the 4.5 OK and do you run the Spektrum cap in the receiver? It is possible for the cap to fail - happened to me. Also check your transmitter batteries. Mine seem to conk out just under 11V, like 10.8 to 10.9. I use Energizer E2 titanium and change them out when they hit about 11V, a little expensive but avoids problems.

Did your unit have the antenna board fix on it ?

If you're posting because you tried all these and didn't work then I would call Spektrum, esp. if unit is new (1-year warranty) and consider sending it in to them for inspection.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Default voltage problem??

i have was using brand new batteries on the transmitter...so i guess the problem should not lie on the tx...as for the cap on the reciever...which one are you refering to??do you mean something like the much more one??cos i do not have one...and also..how do you check if the cap on the gtb esc is working??

but i must say i have used up all the sockets on the reciever...one for hakaranger and the other for the fan...maybe i should remove one and place the cap for the spectrum unit. and also this problem always happens a few minute into the play..it might really be voltage problem...
Old 12-14-2006, 07:37 AM
Tech Addict

Default Capacitors

Spektrum Cap is called Spektrum Voltage Protector, part number SPM1600. See also Spektrum thread here on RCTech for more info. Direct manufacturer link is http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM1600. Also horizonhobby.com (my LHS supplier) has them. $6.00.

The capacitor on my Novak went bad (my fault) because of a nick in the wire getting crushed against a carbon fiber chassis on my T3. POOOFFF !!! big smoke later, the cap discharged all its electricity into my chassis, melting it a little and ruining the cap (melted off the cover). I didn't know it was ruined, but I had some "glitching" problems and somebody said replace the cap and problems went away (that's how I know it was ruined). This one is more expensive than the Spektrum capacitor.

Racing Power Trans-Cap Module, NOV5679 By NOVAK ELECTRONICS, GTB Power Module Replacement. $16.95 on Horizonhobby.com.

Direct from teamnovak.com. Novak Electronics Racing Power Trans-Cap Module $12.99 Shipping Notes: US and Canada shipping only. Description
Replacement Power Trans-Cap Module for the GTB Brushless/Brush ESC. Unit is factory-wired with 16 GA silicone wire for easy installation on the GTB ESC’s Direct-Solder Wiring Tabs. The module can be used with the Novak GTB, GTX, GT7 or other racing speed controls for improved efficiency. The module includes a 5600 microfared 10V Electrolytic capacitor with a transorb circuitry that provides protection from voltage spikes.

Hope this helps. Let us know whether or not this fixes everything for you.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Tech Addict

Default few more thoughts

duplicate post, sorry

Last edited by swopemike; 12-14-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up few more thoughts

I was thinking about your notes again. If it shuts down but the fan remains running, you may get a false low temp on the ESC or motor as you get over there to temp it. Not sure if this was the case but just something else to consider.

Also when you say your batteries were new, I assume you're running dry cells, not rechargeables. But wanted to confirm, because 1.2 V rechargeables will probably only peak out about 10.5 - 11 V range.

One more thought. If the cap on the GTB is working properly, when you take it off, problem & performance should get worse (see instructions or teakNovak.com for details what would happen). If nothing at all happens I'd suspect the cap. might be bad. When mine went bad, the problems were somewhat subtle, but more tendency to stutter more often, at higher transmitter battery level and higher car/receiver battery levels as well. If you have run this 4.5 a long time and just now having problems that makes sense cap might be bad. Also you can inspect the cap. If the shrink is melted, wires got hot or brittle at one time, etc. that might indicate it needs replaced. Or if the money is no big deal, buy another one. These are great caps, huge with lots cap_acity

let us know what happens

Last edited by swopemike; 12-16-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

What is the effect of using double or tripple the capacitors ? For examples I use another Novak Cap in parrallel ? Any good or ill effect ?

( I think when you put the capacitor in series, the total capacity is going up, while in parralel, the capacity is still the same but the resistance become half ( for double ) or one-third ( for triple ) )
Old 12-14-2006, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Adding Capacitors in parallel is a good thing. Lessens the load on the cap and keeps it cooler.

You don't add them in series.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Charlie
Adding Capacitors in parallel is a good thing. Lessens the load on the cap and keeps it cooler.

You don't add them in series.

Thanks
Thanks Charlie.

I've been Novak loyal customer since 1994. I still have Duster2 and Cyclone TC. They are in perfect working condition

Today I use 2 GTX and 1 GTB 3.5R.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Default thank you

thanks guys for all your advises..i will go check it out and see whats the main cause of the problem.

i will be trying the following...first adding a capacitor to my spectrum,
then changing to a normal reciever on my helios...and if all else fails....maybe a change of capacitor on my gtb...
last of the last...back to this thread!
Old 12-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

What's this?
Novak GTB4-Cell Brushless ESC
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPYT2&P=7

I any specs...eta?
Old 12-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
What's this?
Novak GTB4-Cell Brushless ESC
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPYT2&P=7

I any specs...eta?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well...

Tower does have a history of cataloging products that are not currently in stock yet..

Remember the heatsinks?

GTb 4 cell huh?.. smaller? Hope so!
Old 12-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Hmm, if they're releasing a 4 cell version, it's almost certainly going to be smaller. What reason would they have, otherwise? I wonder if it'll work with 6 cells using the slower motors, like the 13.5 or 4300. The mind boggles!

Looks like the 4300/5800 upgrade kit has been updated to include the sintered rotor. That eases the pain a little bit, and makes the process a little easier. Hopefully we'll see an improved 10.5 motor in the future.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPYT1&P=7
Old 12-18-2006, 12:50 AM
tornado

Hey guys.....how to fit the motor heat sink ?.....mine don't fit....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.