Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

LOL, you said "parachute pants".....
TnT-Fx Custom Graphics
Tres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:52 AM   #32
Tech Apprentice
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Somerwil Send a message via Yahoo to Somerwil

I hate the Associated website! Too many links to follow to find what you want. From the start page, you can reach serveral pages on the site in multiple ways, which makes it a mess. They tried to make their site better the last months, but it's still crap. For example the start page: What the **** is tha huge AE logo doing on top of the site? It's vage and the texts get over it while scrolling. The layout also continually changes (navigation does not stay where it starts) which makes navigation a mess. I like the amount of information they offer, but they should find a better way to make searching easier. Tip: scrap the movies and small pictures in first place and offer high resolution pictures (2000x1500 pixels) in a download section. Most people are looking for high quality pictures for website usage. It's the easiest way to do marketing. What I mean is hown at LRP's site in the download section.

I like the Losi site much better than the Asso's although they should come up with a new layout after 10+ years. They try to with their new models, but a redesign of the complete site will not be a bad idea. Pro: navigation stays where is starts.

The Orion site is one of the best from my opinion. Their only problem is that they do not only sell their items, but mainly other's items. The emphasis on their site is not entirely on Orion products. That's what makes most people come and visit I think, but for Orion promotion it's not the best. Pro: very much updates!

I hate the Novak site. Can't find the things I want quickly. Also (just like associated), the navigation goes all around the screen making it difficult for users. The navigation should just stay wherever it started from my opinion. They only try to advertise their own stuff, that's a pro for me since I also don't want to find an mp3 player when I'm looking for a RC10-B4, like on Orion's site?!

I also cannot find product in the American E-shops. They are just too huge with way too many options (towerhobbies.com/ omnimodels.com/ ultimatehobbies.com). The only way to find something is by finding the manufacturer's article number on their site. I prefer for example rcmart.com or rc-mushroom.com.

To be honest I think I've done a pretty good job myself at mvbracing.nl. Unfortunately for most of you only available in Dutch, but navigation is pretty easy.

My like-sites:

The David Joor sites (although they all look similar)
rcmart.com (although very slow download speeds here in Holland)

Michael Somerwil
Somerwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:17 AM   #33
Tech Regular

I couldn't agree more. Some of these companies need to redesign there sites to be more consistant. I think tamiyausa.com is in need of the most imrpovements. It is virtually impossible to navigate to a specific product, but I must admit it is visually appealing. I do web, and network consulting as a side job, and am about ready to go back into the field. I always pitch the K-I-S-S concept in my meetings. I use the cnn.com website as a great example, as it is probably one of the most viewed websites. It is consistant, cross browser compatible, and not overly elaborate with fluff like roll-overs, animations, high-res pics, or flash animations. I have always favored hand coding sites vs editors, and used databased backed products like Cold-Fusion. It will always be compatible with Unix, Novell, Microsoft, and Linux. Less coding, and faster page loads that make a nicer experience. Anyways the days have long past where webdevelopers were few, and far between. Now everyone claims they can make a nice site, but the quality severly lags in my experience.
jw92656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:44 AM   #34
Tech Addict

To me,the sites that are heavily graphic oriented are doing that to cover up a lack of product or information....kinda like hanging too many banners in a hobby shop to try and look full rather than actually having product on the walls..

and you know who you are...LOL....
losi jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #35
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was actually going to mention the Tamiya USA website but I was indifferent about it.
It is nicely done, great content, tons of information. But your right, if your trying to find something specific, fuhget about it!
I think their downfall is that they have SOOOOO many kits.
It just needs to be tweaked some to make it perfect.
My one gripe is that it looks very busy and cluttered.
Your Tamiya for gods sake! Whats with all the advertisement!
scoobydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 06:43 PM   #36
Tech Adept

TeamXray.com has been one of the best, if not THE best, RC manufacturers website since they hit the market.
They've got a well maintained site, plenty of information, always kept up-to-date with results and news, they go out of there way to create sneak preview flash movies to whet your tastebuds on new kits, and have a Forum where you can get help and advice from the top xray driver and even the great man himself, Mario!
Add to this there recent addition of a setup area where you can create your setup sheets online for others to view, and there simply isnt a better manufacturers website on the web right now.
HPI's is good, but theres limited help there since they removed there forums a few years back, and then insisted on using the 'you wanna ask a question, its gotta get approval from us first' system which saw them filter out any form of critisism.
AE's and Losi's sites are a shambles compared to there possition in the market, theres no direct communication between customer and company, and a VERY dull layout both of which are years behind the likes of Xrays and HPI's.

I really cant understand the thinking behind companies like AE and Losi, the amount of money they must put into advertising within Magazines worldwide, and yet the free (meh, u know what i mean) access internet is a key source for information, especially when magazines are always months out of date by the time you read them, so I dont see the logic in running a website thats so far behind others in the market.

I dabble on the odd website, cant say im great at it, but they do the job they were intended for, so its something i take a further interest in when looking at companies websites, and seeing some of these smaller RC companies who have nicer and more informative websites than some of the market leading companies is rather pathetic IMO, there customers deserve better than what they're been given thats for sure.

Still, TeamXray.com wins hands down for me, theres some bias in there i suppose, but can someone name a site (manufacturers at least) which does as much to sell its own products and also help its existing customers even half as much as xray are currently succeeding in doing?
PaulC2K is offline   Reply With Quote