Community
Wiki Posts
Search

screw strength

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Anodizing- Get some small leads from RadioShack with alligator clips on both ends. You can anodize with your race packs. To increase your safety either leave them discharged (till the car on the track ran slow) or just put about 1 minute of charge in them. Hook four packs in series with the alligator clip leads. This will produce a nice looking blue color on Lunsford turnbuckles. 5 packs will produce a light blue color. Two packs produced an ugly muddy red color.

Danger-If you use fully charged packs and accidently touch the leads in your anodizing container together the following series of events will likely occur. The point of contact will likely spot weld itself together. All the insulation in the wires will likely melt smoke and ignite. The wires will glow cherry red (incandesce). If you try to use your hands to disconnect them you will suffer severe burns. No more dangerous than driving your fullsize car really, but just be aware that you have to be careful. 30 Volts will shock the $rap out of you so be careful here as well.

I tried doing some aluminum and all I got was grey so far. tried from 6 to 30 volts. (1 to five six cell packs) Probably need to use the dye process for aluminum if you want some color. I used Tilex tile cleaner which contains some acid as well some sulfuric acid from an old battery which I removed with a battery filling bulb. Got the same results with the tilex so there is probably no need for the more dangerous sulfuric acid. Did not have any coke to test. Took about 10 minutes to setup and do titanium.

(If you are going to mix arms in different motor cans might as well put in the 14 turn double)

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-25-2002 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

what was the akseus liquid u ahve when doing the titanium ... simple green ???
Old 08-25-2002, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I have done the titanium anodizing with simple green before. This time I used Tilex wich is a tile and grout cleaner for the bathroom. It is mildly acidic. I also used dilute sulfuric acid which worked good as well. One web site reccomended Trisodium Phosphate which is a powder that makes a cleaner degreaser for housepaint to prep it for repainting. I tried this with the RC packs to save the cost of buying 9V batteries which are on the expensive side. The solution is not very critical it just has to be conductive.

The Aluminum can be anodized right off the back of the 12 V Rivergate power supply or the front's variable output that we use breakin motors. The titanium requires higher voltage than this to get into the useful colors. The aluminum will need to be dyed to get colors.