R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Which TC short shocks are preferred? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/732887-tc-short-shocks-preferred.html)

Dragobrat 05-26-2013 12:35 AM

Which TC short shocks are preferred?

Hi, I am going to fit a set of short shock towers to a Tamiya 417v5 and then would need a set of short shocks.

I was just curious as to whether or not there are a set of shocks available that might be preferred by some.

I was considering - AME T-shox, M-chassis tamiya, X-ray T4 or maybe the new Schumacher Mi5 shocks?

Thanks.

narcotiks 05-26-2013 01:08 AM

Definantely the m chassis TRF shocks

B00t13g 05-26-2013 01:09 AM

T shox seem super interesting!!

Dragobrat 05-26-2013 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by narcotiks (Post 12190685)
Definantely the m chassis TRF shocks

Hi, I was leaning toward the M-Chassis shocks, but I was at the same time reading the AME guy's theories on shock bladders.-
"The bladder has one main assignment and that is to take care about the volume compensation with the shock rod is pushed into the shock body. The air above the bladder will be compressed when the shock rod is pushed in. This compressed air will work as a airspring stopping the rod from going further into the shock body and will try to push the rod out again. Or more know as rebound.

In my oppinion incorrectly. The spring should be the only spring, there should be no airspring additionally. Especially an airspring which definetly will not be the same in more then 1 shock, unless you are extremely good in building shocks. Even if you are a pro shock builder you will need to rebuild your shock after every run, to make sure that the rebound is the same from run to run as this tends to change while running and how can one know that the different shocks on the car change in the same way?
So the aircompression/volume compensation needs to me improved.

I know if I buy Tamiya m-chassis shocks I will get a quality product but if I buy T-shox the quality might not be there..

Geberit 05-26-2013 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dragobrat (Post 12190729)
Hi, I was leaning toward the M-Chassis shocks, but I was at the same time reading the AME guy's theories on shock bladders.-
"The bladder has one main assignment and that is to take care about the volume compensation with the shock rod is pushed into the shock body. The air above the bladder will be compressed when the shock rod is pushed in. This compressed air will work as a airspring stopping the rod from going further into the shock body and will try to push the rod out again. Or more know as rebound.

In my oppinion incorrectly. The spring should be the only spring, there should be no airspring additionally. Especially an airspring which definetly will not be the same in more then 1 shock, unless you are extremely good in building shocks. Even if you are a pro shock builder you will need to rebuild your shock after every run, to make sure that the rebound is the same from run to run as this tends to change while running and how can one know that the different shocks on the car change in the same way?

I know if I buy Tamiya m-chassis shocks I will get a quality product but if I buy T-shox the quality might not be there..

The T-shox are not bad and work OK. I used them on my Serpent ERYX but didn't noticed any difference to the original short RCM-SS shocks. The issue I had was they leak on the bottom AND top! Used different O-rings but couldn't stop it so I gave up. If you read the T-SHOX thread you'll see others had that issue to.

ali_g 05-26-2013 06:21 AM

Any comments on cso, xray and serpent?

Qatmix 05-26-2013 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by ali_g (Post 12191011)
Any comments on cso, xray and serpent?

They are not as good as the TRF ones. That's why you will see those cars with blue shocks.

Also you can drill a 1mm hole in the plastic part at the top to reduce the impact of compressed air.

narcotiks 05-26-2013 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dragobrat (Post 12190729)

The concept of the t-shox is excellent, but has not been perfected...
You cant go wrong with TRF shocks, they uphold their name as the best shocks quite well.
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to put short shocks on your v5?

Potoczak 05-26-2013 07:57 AM

So if I as going to use the m-chassis shocks which springs would I use??

narcotiks 05-26-2013 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Potoczak (Post 12191240)
So if I as going to use the m-chassis shocks which springs would I use??

That depends on which shock towers you have (there are a few different types)
If your adamant on running short shocks, it would be ideal to find the company that makes short towers but allows the use of standard length springs. :)

Julius 05-26-2013 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by narcotiks (Post 12191312)
That depends on which shock towers you have (there are a few different types)
If your adamant on running short shocks, it would be ideal to find the company that makes short towers but allows the use of standard length springs. :)

Which puts the serpent ss shocks top of the list. They are short, but use std springs, so any spring you already have will will fit.

Dragobrat 05-26-2013 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by narcotiks (Post 12191110)
The concept of the t-shox is excellent, but has not been perfected...
You cant go wrong with TRF shocks, they uphold their name as the best shocks quite well.
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to put short shocks on your v5?

Hi there, Thanks for your advices.

Re: why to go for short shocks on my 417v5 - I was under the impression that low shock towers and short shocks were a must these days.?
It seemed that all the new cars were running this combination.?
To get the centre of gravity as low as possible.

But then I also had read [as someone had mentioned in this thread] that the shorter springs that come with the short shocks might be less effective than standard springs..? not sure.

Qatmix 05-26-2013 03:59 PM

http://www.capricornrc.nl/dsmotorsport/shocktowers

Low profile but you can use std springs.

DS Motorsport 05-26-2013 04:42 PM

As mentioned above our shocktowers allow the use of short dampers with full length springs on the 417.
I know the Xray, CSO and T-Shox are a perfect fit for our shocktowers.

http://www.capricornrc.nl/Webwinkel-...or-TRF417.html

I hope to have the new Capricorn short, big bore dampers before the end of the week to verify if those will work as well. The Capricorn shocks are also high quality with machined Delrin internals.
http://www.capricornrc.com/capricorn...8-thickbox.jpg

The concept of the T-shox is very interesting but the quality is really bad, worst rc part I've ever seen to be honest. I had to remake all of the internals because not a single part was up to spec, and the design of the internals has a big mistake. Threading of the shockbody hasn't been done right as well, threads aren't cut deep enough so you will strip out the threads very easily.

Monsta 05-26-2013 05:04 PM

sorry for the noobie question, but what benefit is there in short shocks over normal/standard?