corner weight??

Old 05-25-2013, 02:26 AM
Tech Addict

Default corner weight??

hi all,i have some scales to measure the corner weights ,what i want to know is do i just adjust each corner using the spring collars,the ride height was 5.5 f and 5.8 rear,but since getting all four corners the same(20 gms heavier on the front)the ride height has changed from 5.5 to 6 on one side at the front and 6.0 to 6.2 on the rear but only on one side,how much does it matter and should i be adding weight to get all corners the same?
the car already weighs 1410gms so reluctant to add more weight

so whats more important having a level chassis or the corners weighing the same?cheers guys
Old 05-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
hi all,i have some scales to measure the corner weights ,what i want to know is do i just adjust each corner using the spring collars,the ride height was 5.5 f and 5.8 rear,but since getting all four corners the same(20 gms heavier on the front)the ride height has changed from 5.5 to 6 on one side at the front and 6.0 to 6.2 on the rear but only on one side,how much does it matter and should i be adding weight to get all corners the same?

so whats more important having a level chassis or the corners weighing the same?cheers guys
Most important is an even ride height. The fronts need to be the same and the rears need to be the same but front and rear can be different. then balance the car left to right by adding, removing, or shifting weight. very important to have an equal left right balance. front to rear is not as important. I only use scales to identify a chassis tweak. You will see severe differences in weights if the chassis is tweaked.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If just one side is high, lower that side and corner weight should stay the same.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chasingthepack

First scale on a level surface.
Both crossweights need to be the same AFTER car balance has be set.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default Rollcentre

Any weight you add to the car should be down the centre.
It's basic physics.
Imagine two axis,a Y and X axis,one is straight up the centre of the car,the X across the car.
Your cars weight in all four corners will always differ when the car is being driven,but,as long as it can ROLL from side to side,the car will feel great.
Adding weights to the edge of the chassis is creating a ballast effect,the car HAS to expend more energy hauling that weight around a corner,whereas in the centre it's all evenly distributed.

You will be creating a pendulum effect and will upset the whole dynamically set ups made to the car.

I really advise you try it though,put ALL the weights on the corners and see what the car does.
Do this when your on the track on your own as it won't be pretty.lol.
Hope this helps mate,corner weights aren't critical on a moving object.
Tim
Old 05-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
If just one side is high, lower that side and corner weight should stay the same.
+1
Old 05-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Timbo99
Any weight you add to the car should be down the centre.
It's basic physics.
Imagine two axis,a Y and X axis,one is straight up the centre of the car,the X across the car.
Your cars weight in all four corners will always differ when the car is being driven,but,as long as it can ROLL from side to side,the car will feel great.
Adding weights to the edge of the chassis is creating a ballast effect,the car HAS to expend more energy hauling that weight around a corner,whereas in the centre it's all evenly distributed.

You will be creating a pendulum effect and will upset the whole dynamically set ups made to the car.

I really advise you try it though,put ALL the weights on the corners and see what the car does.
Do this when your on the track on your own as it won't be pretty.lol.
Hope this helps mate,corner weights aren't critical on a moving object.
Tim
Adding weight down the center will only work if the car has a good left to right balance to begin with. you have to have a good left to right balance or the car will handle differently in left turns and right turns. if the balance is off the corner weight will never be right.

Agree that corner weights are not critical. balance is far more important.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Agree that corner weights are not critical. balance is far more important.
Yes balance is important but so is cross. Try driving a car with 55% cross sometime and tell me what you think. I promise you will hate it
Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
Yes balance is important but so is cross. Try driving a car with 55% cross sometime and tell me what you think. I promise you will hate it
I agree completely. In my experience the cross weight changes because of a chassis tweak. if the car is balanced it will usually have a cross weight that is pretty close. if you are out of balance then you won't get the cross weight right without completely screwing up ride heights or other adjustments that will have an even worse effect on the handling. I guess I should have said to balance first then cross weigh the chassis and make any fine adjustments.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

thanks for all the replys,much appreciated