R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Moderator
 
DaveVera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
Posts: 338
Default

"" I would appreciate understanding the thinking and justification for putting this event on tarmac. If this in in fact a fait accompli then I would like to hear plans on a control tyre otherwise we may as well give some Japanese lad the trophy now, lets all save the money and just send it in the post.""



Wow dude, seriously? The fastest will be the fastest regardless.
__________________
Motiv, Gravity RC, Joe Conte Racing ,Blast RC Paint, Sanwa, #~MASAMI~ . ROAR#27050

Last edited by DaveVera; 05-26-2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Typo
DaveVera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Stockport, UK
Posts: 982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVera View Post
Wow dude, seriously? The fastest will be the fastest regardless.
Yes, Mark's serious. If it's on asphalt a lot of Europeans won't be taking part after the farce that was the 1/12th worlds in 2008.

In the UK we don't have a single permanent carpet track, yet we run nationals, european champs and have even run world champs indoors on temporary carpet tracks in school or sports halls.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #18
Moderator
 
DaveVera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale,Fl
Posts: 338
Default

[QUOTE=terry.sc;12192125]Yes, Mark's serious. If it's on asphalt a lot of Europeans won't be taking part after the farce that was the 1/12th worlds in 2008.
I'm sorry to hear that... But with the event scheduled over 1 and a half years from now and the pre worlds 11 months from now, I find it hard to believe that the majority of racers/teams won't have the ability to test and be prepaired adequately. Just my opinion
__________________
Motiv, Gravity RC, Joe Conte Racing ,Blast RC Paint, Sanwa, #~MASAMI~ . ROAR#27050
DaveVera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
Tech Addict
 
trickd122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 509
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Talking

[QUOTE=DaveVera;12192218]
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
Yes, Mark's serious. If it's on asphalt a lot of Europeans won't be taking part after the farce that was the 1/12th worlds in 2008.
I'm sorry to hear that... But with the event scheduled over 1 and a half years from now and the pre worlds 11 months from now, I find it hard to believe that the majority of racers/teams won't have the ability to test and be prepaired adequately. Just my opinion
+1 - Weighing in on this "the fast guys will ALWAYS be up front" be it carpet or tarmac. Champions are just that for a reason -Location or surface shouldn't matter. I wouldn't be surprised Dave if we see some "new' yet familiar faces at the FSEARA races

This is tragic if the europeans decide not to come - the US bloc gets those spots lol Nice
__________________
TEAM MAGIC "making my competition disappear"
trickd122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #20
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,116
Default

Dave thanks for the support. I think the worlds in Kissimmee is gonna be pretty even playing field for all racers. The track will be open for a few events during the rest of this year and most of next year before the WC. The track is big. 250x95 (feet). The event will be high speed and flowing. If you want to test the track is gonna be available.

Dave Vera is correct. Fast guys will always be fast. The last worlds that was held in kissimmee Masami and Hara spent many weeks testing at different times using many compounds of tires, bodies and motor . I was privileged to see them test battery after battery sharing some info, tips and how much effort they place on a WC. These two guys both tested tirelessly only to have Reinhard beat them both. Reinhard never came to test.

Masami had two mechnaics and a 15 passanger van full of stuff to test and use at his finger tips. He used special sauces that came in medicine bottles so he could get them through customs. Masami won because he was the best prepared. The best will always spend the most and prepare the most.

I cant wait till the pre worlds to see everyone that comes and you will enjoy your time here.
rangulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
Tech Champion
 
GMartinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 8,038
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

2 Days of tearing down the track in preparation for the new asphalt
I truly feel that with all the changes the track will be the same for all
Regardless of tire selection & preparation weather makes it a big factor very easy to heat up tires.
Layout Myself & Steve are taking our time to ensure the layout will be very oriented & expect pics July time frame as we have to allow the new pavement to cure
__________________
www.fullthrottlercraceway.com
Home of The U.S. World Nitro Cup 2013,2014,2015,2016
2014 Roar Electric Nationals, IFMAR ISTC Worlds, 2015 Roar Fuel Nationals
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon

Last edited by GMartinez; 05-26-2013 at 08:24 PM.
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #22
Tech Champion
 
GMartinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 8,038
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default FSEARA State Race

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=546706858700920
This is 1 of the local favorite layout
__________________
www.fullthrottlercraceway.com
Home of The U.S. World Nitro Cup 2013,2014,2015,2016
2014 Roar Electric Nationals, IFMAR ISTC Worlds, 2015 Roar Fuel Nationals
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #23
Tech Champion
 
Radio Active's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Newcastle, Australia
Posts: 7,056
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I'm personally glad to see the 12th Worlds back on Asphalt, not because I don't like Carpet, or because I think Asphalt is better, but because Asphalt is a surface that 12th is raced on. ROAR races 12th on Asphalt, so does FEMCA. I don't know about FAMAR. Ok, so EFRA doesn't, that's still at least 50% of the IFMAR blocs. As I posted in another thread, to me having the Worlds only ever on carpet would be like having Tennis at the Olympics only on Hardcourt. There are a variety of surfaces on which 12th is raced around the world. Given the Worlds are a one off race, the surface we compete on each time at the Worlds should vary in line with that – it should reflect the local racing scene of the host as well as the World racing scene.

Keeping the Worlds on a variety of surfaces is good for the health of 12th scale too, because it shows potential competitors and clubs that they have more options for running the class. More options for racing locations means more numbers. If 12th is seen as carpet only it hurts numbers particularly in countries with a dearth of carpet tracks. There are flow on effects to lower numbers worldwide including fewer "name" manufacturers, and fewer kits produced leading to higher prices. The same is true for 1S ESCs and anything else that is specialised 12th. Prices in general are pretty cheap right now I must say, but they could be even better if the class was more popular around the world. That's just the economics of manufacturing.

Lastly, 12th scale has a history of being raced on a variety of surfaces. Obviously, it's the oldest EP class there is. The construction rules have changed very little in 30 years. 12th is our link to the past. I think that makes it even more important that we retain as much of its heritage as possible in the way we race it now.

---------

If the tyres really are as much of a concern as some people make out then I don't think a control tyre is the answer. Tyre options are really fundamental to the way a 12th scale works, and the way we race it. I have no problem at all though with a rule that says tyres used by factory drivers must be commercially available in all blocs within a certain time frame leading up to the event, or something like that.
__________________
Reigning NSW 4WD Group 20 Champion
Member: Maitland Radio Car Club (http://www.morcc.com.au)
twitter: @dvcotton
Australian 12th Scale hastag: #EP12AU
Radio Active is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #24
Tech Champion
 
GMartinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 8,038
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=546188678752738
Jconcepts scalpel class very fun to drive
__________________
www.fullthrottlercraceway.com
Home of The U.S. World Nitro Cup 2013,2014,2015,2016
2014 Roar Electric Nationals, IFMAR ISTC Worlds, 2015 Roar Fuel Nationals
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #25
Tech Champion
 
GMartinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 8,038
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=545891645449108
USVTA Class another strong growing class
__________________
www.fullthrottlercraceway.com
Home of The U.S. World Nitro Cup 2013,2014,2015,2016
2014 Roar Electric Nationals, IFMAR ISTC Worlds, 2015 Roar Fuel Nationals
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #26
Tech Champion
 
GMartinez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 8,038
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
I'm personally glad to see the 12th Worlds back on Asphalt, not because I don't like Carpet, or because I think Asphalt is better, but because Asphalt is a surface that 12th is raced on. ROAR races 12th on Asphalt, so does FEMCA. I don't know about FAMAR. Ok, so EFRA doesn't, that's still at least 50% of the IFMAR blocs. As I posted in another thread, to me having the Worlds only ever on carpet would be like having Tennis at the Olympics only on Hardcourt. There are a variety of surfaces on which 12th is raced around the world. Given the Worlds are a one off race, the surface we compete on each time at the Worlds should vary in line with that it should reflect the local racing scene of the host as well as the World racing scene.

Keeping the Worlds on a variety of surfaces is good for the health of 12th scale too, because it shows potential competitors and clubs that they have more options for running the class. More options for racing locations means more numbers. If 12th is seen as carpet only it hurts numbers particularly in countries with a dearth of carpet tracks. There are flow on effects to lower numbers worldwide including fewer "name" manufacturers, and fewer kits produced leading to higher prices. The same is true for 1S ESCs and anything else that is specialised 12th. Prices in general are pretty cheap right now I must say, but they could be even better if the class was more popular around the world. That's just the economics of manufacturing.

Lastly, 12th scale has a history of being raced on a variety of surfaces. Obviously, it's the oldest EP class there is. The construction rules have changed very little in 30 years. 12th is our link to the past. I think that makes it even more important that we retain as much of its heritage as possible in the way we race it now.

---------

If the tyres really are as much of a concern as some people make out then I don't think a control tyre is the answer. Tyre options are really fundamental to the way a 12th scale works, and the way we race it. I have no problem at all though with a rule that says tyres used by factory drivers must be commercially available in all blocs within a certain time frame leading up to the event, or something like that.
+1 Radio
There are 2 classes that I enjoy the most 1/12th & 1/8th
These 2 classes to me remind me of the Lemans/F1 circuit stlye which are looked upon as the Mecca of all racing


1/12th
__________________
www.fullthrottlercraceway.com
Home of The U.S. World Nitro Cup 2013,2014,2015,2016
2014 Roar Electric Nationals, IFMAR ISTC Worlds, 2015 Roar Fuel Nationals
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #27
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,915
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Active View Post
I'm personally glad to see the 12th Worlds back on Asphalt, not because I don't like Carpet, or because I think Asphalt is better, but because Asphalt is a surface that 12th is raced on. ROAR races 12th on Asphalt, so does FEMCA. I don't know about FAMAR. Ok, so EFRA doesn't, that's still at least 50% of the IFMAR blocs. As I posted in another thread, to me having the Worlds only ever on carpet would be like having Tennis at the Olympics only on Hardcourt. There are a variety of surfaces on which 12th is raced around the world. Given the Worlds are a one off race, the surface we compete on each time at the Worlds should vary in line with that it should reflect the local racing scene of the host as well as the World racing scene.

Keeping the Worlds on a variety of surfaces is good for the health of 12th scale too, because it shows potential competitors and clubs that they have more options for running the class. More options for racing locations means more numbers. If 12th is seen as carpet only it hurts numbers particularly in countries with a dearth of carpet tracks. There are flow on effects to lower numbers worldwide including fewer "name" manufacturers, and fewer kits produced leading to higher prices. The same is true for 1S ESCs and anything else that is specialised 12th. Prices in general are pretty cheap right now I must say, but they could be even better if the class was more popular around the world. That's just the economics of manufacturing.

Lastly, 12th scale has a history of being raced on a variety of surfaces. Obviously, it's the oldest EP class there is. The construction rules have changed very little in 30 years. 12th is our link to the past. I think that makes it even more important that we retain as much of its heritage as possible in the way we race it now.

---------

If the tyres really are as much of a concern as some people make out then I don't think a control tyre is the answer. Tyre options are really fundamental to the way a 12th scale works, and the way we race it. I have no problem at all though with a rule that says tyres used by factory drivers must be commercially available in all blocs within a certain time frame leading up to the event, or something like that.
ROAR does have a history of running on asphalt but it is pretty much a dead animal now. Since 2007, there has never been a B main at the asphalt nats (modified). And in 2 or 3 of those years there were no entries.

1/12 aspalt is an old fashioned idea. That does not mean the race will not be competitive, but there are likely not going to be a lot of entries.
__________________
www.reedypower.com
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
Tech Elite
 
mike ivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Comin at ya from a distant galaxy
Posts: 2,790
Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default

Guys Though I'll get bashed for this I think 1/12th should be on carpet.
__________________
[-eXpress motorsports-] [-TQ Wire-]

1/12th Fo' Life!!! R.I.P Mike Reedy, R.I.P John Williams

[-Horsham RC-] [-Jackson RC-] [-RC Car World-] [ Black Out Free 2015 ]
mike ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #29
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,730
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

I agree that it should be on carpet but if it's got to be asphalt, what the hell I'll run it. Could be fun, and isn't that what it's all about?
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #30
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
ROAR does have a history of running on asphalt but it is pretty much a dead animal now. Since 2007, there has never been a B main at the asphalt nats (modified). And in 2 or 3 of those years there were no entries.

1/12 aspalt is an old fashioned idea. That does not mean the race will not be competitive, but there are likely not going to be a lot of entries.
Is Rick American? I think he is.
Does he race 1/12th scale... Yep very well indeed. I was congratulating him only last year in Holland for being brilliant. Maybe as he is an ambassador for the section, is an active 12th racer and comes from your ROAR side of the pond you might listen to him? I hope so.

We all know that it is the TC class that is the real world championship. What us old men and fools do with pan cars is just a distraction to the main event.

Carpet please. Thank you very much. What possible reason could there be to make a choice that will make an event less popular and under subscribed? Is my EFRA licence and entry fee not worth the hire of a hall?

M
Mark Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:47 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net