Wiki Posts
Search

Smoothest modified motor for 1/12th racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 03:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Smoothest modified motor for 1/12th racing

Hey Guys,

I am shopping for a modified motor for my R5.2 with a LRP flow works team ESC.

I want to buy the smoothest motor possible, it will either be a 5.0 or 5.5

I know this is a million dollar question, but I would like to know everyones opinion on this

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks Kevin
Old 05-24-2013, 05:15 AM
Tech Adept

I've not run every motor available, but I can give a useful comparison between two. I prefer the feel of Reedy motors in 1/12 scale, particularly for modified. They seem much smoother at the bottom end to me. The LRP motors have a very aggressive power band and I always struggled to get enough feel in the low to medium speed stuff when I ran them.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HBRC-LBD
Hey Guys,

I am shopping for a modified motor for my R5.2 with a LRP flow works team ESC.

I want to buy the smoothest motor possible, it will either be a 5.0 or 5.5

I know this is a million dollar question, but I would like to know everyones opinion on this

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks Kevin
The Reedy's are the best mod motors out now. The 0's are supposed to be smoother than the .5's

Of the two winds you mentioned I would recommend the 5.0. However, the top 1/12th racers are running 3.5's and 4.0's with boost. You would not be competitive if you were racing against good drivers with those motors running a 5.0. If you are club racing guys with the same motors as you you will be fine.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

It doesn't fit the definition of "smooth" but I really do love my LRP X20 4.0t.

Whatever you get I really would recommend that you get a 3.5 or 4.0 rather than a 5.0 or 5.5, unless everyone you are racing against is also running a 5.0. The 5.0 will seem pretty quick until you are on the straight with someone who has a 3.5 or 4.0. Doesn't sound like much, but the difference is pretty astounding, actually.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I have found that the 1 cell Speed Passion motors are very smooth. The 3.5 and 4.5s are on sale right now too at speedpassion.net for around $30 or $40 I think.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I really like the smooth feel of the Orion VST Motor's I normally drive a 4.0T in my On-Point car. AdrianM is right, the x.0T motor's feel smoother then the x.5T motors.

Regards Robert
Old 05-24-2013, 09:27 AM
avs
Tech Master

i seem to recall advice from someone that you choose the stator wind for top speed, and then tune the bottom end with the rotor. the smaller diameter rotor would tame down the low end of the power curve.

lately i have heard people suggesting rollout and timing changes to adjust the bottom end, is rotor diameter no longer a good option?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by avs
i seem to recall advice from someone that you choose the stator wind for top speed, and then tune the bottom end with the rotor. the smaller diameter rotor would tame down the low end of the power curve.

lately i have heard people suggesting rollout and timing changes to adjust the bottom end, is rotor diameter no longer a good option?
I think most if not all low-turn modified motors come with their respective manufacturers 'torque' rotor to help prevent a combination of 2S or boosted free-reving and stupidity from having the motor reach 150,000 rpm and having the rotor explode like a bomb. Obviously you can change it but it's another 50 dollars.

In adjusting my own 1/12 car with a Revtech 3.5, raising my rollout did not really help in smoothing out the bottom end (that Revtech is very powerful), but it did get the ESC nice and hot! I would suggest just staying at 35-38mm of rollout and using ESC or radio settings to smooth out the low end, or more winds and boost it for top end.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Suspended

The trinity D3.5 5.0 turn comes in several rotors and if get the high rpm you can adjust with gearing and tire diameter. .
Old 06-11-2013, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Any esc now a days that allows boost typically allows a "punch control" to "smooth" out any motor if you will. You can typically add a boost delay and change the RPM to make any motor out there feel smoother.