Wiki Posts
Search

Intellect Battery 3800

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 02:27 PM
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Anybody have any experiences with IB3600? Just want to try out a few packs of unmatched IB3600 as they are fairly inexpensive and I'm running 19T only so no issue with runtimes.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi Danny,
i having this problem during my FEMCA race i n malaysia. i using IB3800 cell i think mostly the cell are 2nd generation. i used linear charge of 5amp at first the punch very perfect but after 2min30sec the punch was drop and flat until the cell dump. so after that i increase my charging amp to 5.5 amp the problem still the same. may i know is that my charging problem? thanks
Old 12-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Guo Chean
Hi Danny,
i having this problem during my FEMCA race i n malaysia. i using IB3800 cell i think mostly the cell are 2nd generation. i used linear charge of 5amp at first the punch very perfect but after 2min30sec the punch was drop and flat until the cell dump. so after that i increase my charging amp to 5.5 amp the problem still the same. may i know is that my charging problem? thanks
The SMC 3800's have so much voltage that the amp draw from the motor can't be too high or it gets to hot and slows down. If you are running stock try setting the amp draw to no more than 8 amps by narrowing the brushes. Actually you should use 6 amp charge, 7 amps is a little faster but hurts battery life, I would stick with what Danny says, 6 amps and .02 cutoff.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Merry Xmas Barry B!
Old 12-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Danny or any Smart battery folks:

I am going to upgrade to 3800's

I am charging with a Millenium Pro...am I right in understanding I charge linear not NIMH2 mode?

6 amps? I race stock and 19x oval

I can still use the smart tray after the race and flatline? I normally Smart tray them...then put them on the flatline...want to make sure this is the same.

Thanks
Paul
Old 12-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

I believe the flatline novak tray is meant to deadshort the packs where the smart tray you can alter it's cutoff???? Millenium..I use one for 3800's and have never used the nimh2 mode, use the nicd linear, 6.0amps, like 20mv total(think on millenium can choose like 18 or 24mv total for 6C pack), I use 18mv and it's good but sometimes depending on temp/pack I could turn the detect up to next level.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Danny,
It's most likely your motor setup. Once the comm gets to hot you will experience some fade in the motor. Try backig off the timing some on your motors while keeping the same gear ratio.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herc Driver
Danny or any Smart battery folks:

I am going to upgrade to 3800's

I am charging with a Millenium Pro...am I right in understanding I charge linear not NIMH2 mode?

6 amps? I race stock and 19x oval

I can still use the smart tray after the race and flatline? I normally Smart tray them...then put them on the flatline...want to make sure this is the same.

Thanks
Paul

Use a regular linear 6 amp charge which is most likely the nicad mode on your charger. After your run darin what is left in the pack at 30/35 amps down to .90 per cell. Leave the pack alone until the next time you plan on using it. Then place on your smart tray prior to charging. Set the cutoff at .80v and once the cells have reached .80 remove from tray right away and start charging.

If you don't plan on using your packs for a long period of time (6 weeks or more) then put 500 second sof charge back into the pack for storage.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Danny,
During FEMCA race, I do hear different opinions on selection of gear ration when using 7T or 8T motors from different drivers. Some geared 6.7, some geared 7.5 while we, Hong Kong Team, all geared 8.8-8.9 for 7T motor and 8.4 for 8T motor at FEMCA race.

I am not a motor man to tell which gear ratio is correct. However, I do notice there are burnt comm, melt solder armatures or dump motors because of using wrong gear ratio in such hot condition. So plesae consult your motor man if your using gear ratio is correct for your track.

To have good power curve during the 5min or 8min race, a good battery pack, a good motor + a good motor tuning is very important.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Regional Moderator

Hi Danny,
I live near you and I have similar problem before because of the hot weather. On my case it isn't the battery, it's the motor. Later I found out small timing and big pinion combo is a totally wrong move.

What motor and what timing/gear ratio do you use? You may try Anthony Yuen said, try smaller pinion and increase timing with harder brush spring. See if that solve the problem.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Regional Moderator

Oops sorry, this is battery not motor discussion.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Anthony Yuen
During FEMCA race, I do hear different opinions on selection of gear ration when using 7T or 8T motors from different drivers. Some geared 6.7, some geared 7.5 while we, Hong Kong Team, all geared 8.8-8.9 for 7T motor and 8.4 for 8T motor at FEMCA race.

I am not a motor man to tell which gear ratio is correct. However, I do notice there are burnt comm, melt solder armatures or dump motors because of using wrong gear ratio in such hot condition. So plesae consult your motor man if your using gear ratio is correct for your track.

To have good power curve during the 5min or 8min race, a good battery pack, a good motor + a good motor tuning is very important.
Hi Anthony,
how are you, i also follow what Oscar sugguestion gear ratio me for 8turn. i had used 8.4 also. but it seem that the result still the same. and i had never facing this problem when i was using other manufacturer cell. i not say that IB3800 not a good cell but i just want to make sure that will be my charging problem or my IB3800 version are having this kind or problem. like the IB3600 at early version problem.

Last edited by Guo Chean; 12-24-2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by daniz24
I live near you and I have similar problem before because of the hot weather. On my case it isn't the battery, it's the motor. Later I found out small timing and big pinion combo is a totally wrong move.

What motor and what timing/gear ratio do you use? You may try Anthony Yuen said, try smaller pinion and increase timing with harder brush spring. See if that solve the problem.
are you living in Indiana PA also?i using orion V2 motor, 8.4ratio, timing 2 level is not mistake is 12 or 10 degree. MR035 10 coil is medium. during the race day i take my motor to Oscar tuning also.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Anthony,
how are you, i also follow what Oscar sugguestion gear ratio me for 8turn. i had used 8.4 also. but it seem that the result still the same. and i had never facing this problem when i was using other manufacturer cell. i not say that IB3800 not a good cell but i just want to make sure that will be my charging problem or my IB3800 version are having this kind or problem. like the IB3600 at early version problem.
Hi Guo Chean,

Nice to hear from you. We did face motor overheat problem too because of the hot track temperature. We tried to use lighter motor spring to let the overheat problem comes later, but there came another problem that the motor was not punch or powerful enough to be competitive.

By the end, both Hiroshi Kambiyashi (1st) and Alan Yau (2nd) used IB3800s and standard 8T motors for race. We don't see any sign of dump during the 5 min. race.

So bad, I didn't have chance to chat with you when I was in FEMCA, otherwise, I can gather more details what caused your problem.

Anthony Yuen
Old 12-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Tech Elite

I've found that my motors run much hotter with the 3800's when the brush serrations are gone. After a few runs, I re-serrate them with the fussy brush tool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.