Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Intellect Battery 3800 >

Intellect Battery 3800

Intellect Battery 3800

Old 12-14-2005, 05:56 AM
Tech Initiate

This thread is sad. It just proves that 90% of the racers out there don't read instructions, don't know how their stuff works and can't figure anything out for themselves.

Someone needs to come out with a tray that has "3800 Equalizer" stamped on it in big bold type so American racers can go back to not having to think about anything or understanding how things work.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JayBee
Didn't I just say most of that?!

You did! and I bet someone will still come on here and ask again how to charge and what the right tray is and BLAH BLAH BLAH!
Old 12-14-2005, 06:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carbuncle
This thread is sad. It just proves that 90% of the racers out there don't read instructions, don't know how their stuff works and can't figure anything out for themselves.

Someone needs to come out with a tray that has "3800 Equalizer" stamped on it in big bold type so American racers can go back to not having to think about anything or understanding how things work.
Some of the problem is so many people putting out so much bogus infor maton and there are a lot of people on here that seem to have a hard time not so much with reading but with comprehension.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am not sure if i have an issue with my T30 (indy car face) or if it's with the IB 3800's.

Here's my story:
-- We are running the IB 3800's in 4cell 1/12th roadcourse.
-- My T30 is set up for 30amp discharge, 4 cells.
-- I am using the small voltage clips & waiting for the voltage to settle to a constant # (@ 10 seconds).
-- At the 30 amp discharge the pack discharges for @ 7 seconds after a run.

"Problem":
If i use the 20 amp discharge rather then 30, they will discharge for @120 seconds after a run.

Question:
is my T30 "bad" or possibly a cell or does anyone else have an issue with discharging 4 cell IB 3800's at 30amps with a T30? The 7 second discharge at 30 amps happens with all 5 packs we have.

I use a 30amp discharge with our GP3300 6 cells with no problems. I do not have any 6 cell IB 3800's to try a 30 amp discharge with.

Signed,
Dazed & Confused
Old 12-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Call Competition Electronics @ 815-874-8001 and ask for Jim. Tell him what is happening and he will tell you what to do. You will most likely need to send it back in.

Is your cutoff voltage set at 3.60 for 4 cell packs ?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jg727211
I am not sure if i have an issue with my T30 (indy car face) or if it's with the IB 3800's.

Here's my story:
-- We are running the IB 3800's in 4cell 1/12th roadcourse.
-- My T30 is set up for 30amp discharge, 4 cells.
-- I am using the small voltage clips & waiting for the voltage to settle to a constant # (@ 10 seconds).
-- At the 30 amp discharge the pack discharges for @ 7 seconds after a run.

"Problem":
If i use the 20 amp discharge rather then 30, they will discharge for @120 seconds after a run.

Question:
is my T30 "bad" or possibly a cell or does anyone else have an issue with discharging 4 cell IB 3800's at 30amps with a T30? The 7 second discharge at 30 amps happens with all 5 packs we have.

I use a 30amp discharge with our GP3300 6 cells with no problems. I do not have any 6 cell IB 3800's to try a 30 amp discharge with.

Signed,
Dazed & Confused
The same thing has always happened on my Turbo35. I've never been able to fully utilze my cycle or discharge function because it never discharges correctly or it would give me the error: "Volts to High." I've always wanted to send it back, but it would cost me less to just sell this one and buy a Turbo35GFX.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Scott S
The same thing has always happened on my Turbo35. I've never been able to fully utilze my cycle or discharge function because it never discharges correctly or it would give me the error: "Volts to High." I've always wanted to send it back, but it would cost me less to just sell this one and buy a Turbo35GFX.
Read what Danny said just above. The only time I get the "Volts to high" is when I had the charger set on the wrong setting for the number of cells or wrong cutoff voltage.

You may be surprised how cheap it is to get these chargers repaired. CE has a very good service department. I had an old T30 updated with a backlight and a new case for something like $50.00 a couple of years ago.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott S
If you are getting the "volts to high" message when doing a cycle there is a couple things you can do.....1 is increase the delay time before it starts the discharge part of the cycle..so that the pack voltage can come down a little. The newer cells hold the voltage so much longer and higher that some of the 30/35's out there dont have the new software in them that will allow you to cycle 3300's and up. This works on some packs but not all. 2 is send it in like Ted said it was a 50 dollar upgrade when I had mine done last Feb. and now I can cycle all day long on my 35 if I needed to. I also had the a back light added at that time, but all you need is the new version of the firmware inside the machine and you will not get this message any more.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ted Flack
Read what Danny said just above. The only time I get the "Volts to high" is when I had the charger set on the wrong setting for the number of cells or wrong cutoff voltage.

You may be surprised how cheap it is to get these chargers repaired. CE has a very good service department. I had an old T30 updated with a backlight and a new case for something like $50.00 a couple of years ago.
Originally Posted by Kevin K
If you are getting the "volts to high" message when doing a cycle there is a couple things you can do.....1 is increase the delay time before it starts the discharge part of the cycle..so that the pack voltage can come down a little. The newer cells hold the voltage so much longer and higher that some of the 30/35's out there dont have the new software in them that will allow you to cycle 3300's and up. This works on some packs but not all. 2 is send it in like Ted said it was a 50 dollar upgrade when I had mine done last Feb. and now I can cycle all day long on my 35 if I needed to. I also had the a back light added at that time, but all you need is the new version of the firmware inside the machine and you will not get this message any more.

Gotcha, I'll try to increase the time between charge and discharge, but I know everything else is set correctly. I've even tried setting it on 7cell so it expects a higher voltage and it still didn't work.

Thanks fellas.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

Does anyone have discharge graphs of the GP3300's vs GP 3700's vs IB3600's vs IB3800's at the same discharge level?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 05:42 AM
Tech Regular

Default runtime

For the first time i cycle my packs, i never cycle my packs i just get the best numbers i can put it together and race, now for the first time i did and to find out that the numbers do not match, not even close, on the three packs i cycle the first pack runtime said 486 and after the cycle came back with 423 which to me is off, the second pack said 478 and came back with 420, and the third pack said 476 came back with 408, now this is how i set my turbo up charge at 6amp discharge at 30amp with 3.60 cutoff, these packs were 4cells with one cycle, now can someone tell me why such a big difference.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What brand were the packs? if you used 30 amp discharge, and the packs were matched at 35 amps, then of course there not goin to be the same.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Alex_kipper
What brand were the packs? if you used 30 amp discharge, and the packs were matched at 35 amps, then of course there not goin to be the same.
Then if it were 35amps and i did discharge at 30amps the runtime should be more, the packs i got from PMracing and they discharge at 30amps.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

First lesson DON'T CYCLE YOUR PACKS you're wasting some of the best runs.Just run the packs it doesn't matter if your #'s match the matchers #'s or not,there's just to many variables that can cause the packs to be different.I run pro-match packs also and I trust they know what there doing,they've been at this for quite some time.If you don't trust your matcher find another one.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Just see this discharge / equalize tray from Team Wave. Looks like it can help take down the voltage to .9V and hold it there :
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=91810&page=1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.