Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intellect Battery 3800

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Ray glad to hear that the 3800 are performing well for you we have had allot of great results and comments on the IB3800. The cool thing is that IB is working real hard on tweaking the cell and the last few batches have been the best ones yet.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Danny,

Keep up the great work. I ran mine last weekend and they were very very strong through the entire run. It seems like they are stronger on the 2nd run of the day.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 08-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Company Representative

What most of our racers have found is that the first run on a new pack isn't really showing the true potential of the pack. The second run is normally what you can expect.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I plan on purchasing some IB3800's from maxamps. Would anybody have good recommendations on how to setup an MRC 959 charger with these cells?

Thanks.

(and yes im a noob)
Old 08-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Danny, I see that you continuously improve the cells, how are we able to tell which "series" of cell we are recieving?
Nick
Old 08-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Company Representative

Does your charger have adjustable peak detection ? If so set it at .02(20mv) for the entire pack.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Danny,

Yes I can set it to 20mv. Thanks for the quick reply.

-J
Old 08-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by nrtv20
Danny, I see that you continuously improve the cells, how are we able to tell which "series" of cell we are recieving?
Nick

The first shipments of IB3800 were good but IB has been working hard to tweak the cells and provide slightly higher voltage. The last few batches have been a bit better so we change the minimum specs of our packs when we package them. The cell performance will be the same it's just that there are more higher voltage cells in the last few batches.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

I have been dead shorting 1 of my packs on a novak flatliner

went racing thurs eve took them of the tray 1 hour before i charge them
4 false peaks ltr it just about got to full charge (i think)

Q) how long should i take the batts of tray before charging ????

my other pack being looked after like i do my GP33`s went straight up to 4250 ish IR 27 P/v 9.214

trying to see if it`s worth doing the dead short thingy for IB`s only
never done it with GP 33`s (never found the need to)
Old 08-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
I have been dead shorting 1 of my packs on a novak flatliner

went racing thurs eve took them of the tray 1 hour before i charge them
4 false peaks ltr it just about got to full charge (i think)

Q) how long should i take the batts of tray before charging ????

my other pack being looked after like i do my GP33`s went straight up to 4250 ish IR 27 P/v 9.214

trying to see if it`s worth doing the dead short thingy for IB`s only
never done it with GP 33`s (never found the need to)
I was told by the matcher i got my packs from never to take IB cells down to 0v. I take them down to 5.4 volts. When i need to charge them again, i put them on my Integy Indi Booster tray for 2 minutes, take them off, then put them straight on the charger. I have never had a pack false peak. They always charge up past their capacty, and they are flaweless so far.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Company Representative

MR Jolly what kind of charger are you using ? We mostly use CE chargers and set the lockout on to prevent false peaks.

Rody if your not worried about the capacity of your packs deadshorting will improve the voltage curve for the first 370 seconds or so at 30 amps and will help keep the IR down. If runtime is imprtant in the type of racing youb do then your method is the way to go.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Dear Danny

Racing mod-touring, my LRP charger is set at 6 amps and 30mv as intstructed per you website when I first bought them they peaked out around 4200-4300mah and 9.2-9.4 volts.

1. I race them, discharge them on the Intergy 30amp tray, allow a cool down period.

2. Once they cooled down I put them on the Novak smart tray set at .9, charge them up gain and the number do get better, but over the course of a month a half they peak out around 3800-3900mah but the voltage has stayed the same.

3.I race once a week and i always but a full charge in them when done, I do not deadshort my cell. Is this normal for 3800's to peak out around 3800-3900mahs
Old 08-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Location: Tupperville, Ontario, CANADA - like tupperware but with a population of 450.

I am extremely happy with the performance of the IB3800's. I run mod touring and 19T. With a 8x1, I am able to make time and still have 60+ seconds on the pack after the run (30A discharge). There is a definite difference going from the GP3300's to the IB3800's. Can't say enough about these SMC packs. Oh and the new FK05 is pretty good too....
Old 08-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

DAwgmeat- your mistake is charging them all the way up for storage. Danny will have to comment on whether they will come back or not, but the reason for putting a little charge back in them for storage is to keep them from self-discharing (something all rechargable cells do) down to zero before the next charge. I believe SMC suggests putting 500 seconds @ 5 or 6 amps back in them for storage. I personally prefer to just leave them discharged (they will also regenerate some voltage and keep it until they self discharge again) and just cycle them if I'm not going to run them for more than 2 weeks.

Leaving any rechargable NiCad or NiMH batteries fully charged is a bad idea. When they stay in a state of fully charged they tend to want to stay fully charged. The opposite is true as well, this is why we discharge our cells; because a battery trained to want to stay discharged will release it's energy faster trying to get back to a state of discharge.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
MR Jolly what kind of charger are you using ? We mostly use CE chargers and set the lockout on to prevent false peaks.

Rody if your not worried about the capacity of your packs deadshorting will improve the voltage curve for the first 370 seconds or so at 30 amps and will help keep the IR down. If runtime is imprtant in the type of racing youb do then your method is the way to go.

i have a eagle cdc No i`m not replacing it )
never had a problem in 18 month`s of use i race2-3 times a week, by the way)
plenty of pratice of what to do & what not to do

since i am starting to bring these batts in for next year for customers, need to know if it`s worth dead shorting them for racing,since NOVAK FLATLINER has made much more safe with there board system to do this

i have 2 packs being tested
1 pack dead short
2nd pack normal (if there is a normal side) tray them down to .85-.090v

2nd pack no probs happy as larry

1st pack ,not a happy bunny, can`t do lock out jobbie coz there are alot of club racers out there that can`t afford a CE thingy charger or a charger with a lock out feature
these batts need to work on a every day charger lrp,eagle,apex,etc etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.