R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   How should I clean my acer bearings? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/73232-how-should-i-clean-my-acer-bearings.html)

rcnewb2004 05-24-2005 07:17 AM

How should I clean my acer bearings?

I race outside in parking lots, so crap gets into my bearings, its to the point now where there is crap all along the edges between the plastic shield and the steel housing and I want to clean out my bearings.

I have a jewlery cleaner thingy and want to use it on my bearings, however, I am thinking:

1. should i take off the plastic shielding from both sides of the bearings?
2. should I take off the plastic shielding from one side?
3. should i not take off the plastic shieldings?

when I dump my bearings into my jewlery cleaner.

I tried using the "bearing cleaner" made by RPM that I bought on the acerracing website but it has proved to be pretty ineffective against the amount of dirt and rocks that I am currently getting stuck in my bearings.

Also, if I should take off the plastic shielding, does anyone have any sites w/ some pictorial instructions on how to remove the plastic shielding from these acer (polyamide (pardon the spelling if it is incorrect)) bearing covers?

THis is my first time with ceramics and I am afraid to bust the covers.

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

COLEKO 05-24-2005 07:34 AM

With my Acer bearings ive used the Integy bearing cleaner with good results with out taking of the seals. But lately ive been using a water bottle with motor cleaner inside to shake the crud out and works good with the seals on.

Mr. Shookie 05-24-2005 07:43 AM

I use the RPM Bearing Blaster. It finishes where every thing else stops. It really gets all the gunk out of the bearings....In fact Acer suggest using it. It only cost like $8.95 retail so no reason to get. I also have th eintegy parts rattle is about what it should be called. I also use the Kawanda bearing shaker can that has a screen so you can pull out the bearing and not let it just sit in the dirty motor spray.
A very nice oil to use is the Acer SIN oil. Also Boca has just released a bearing treatment that binds to the actual bearing. You soak them over night makes a very long lasting lubricant. I do this before a race day, so I don't have to worry about them all day.
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><

Qwiglee 05-24-2005 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004
I race outside in parking lots, so crap gets into my bearings, its to the point now where there is crap all along the edges between the plastic shield and the steel housing and I want to clean out my bearings.

I have a jewlery cleaner thingy and want to use it on my bearings, however, I am thinking:

1. should i take off the plastic shielding from both sides of the bearings?
2. should I take off the plastic shielding from one side?
3. should i not take off the plastic shieldings?

when I dump my bearings into my jewlery cleaner.

I tried using the "bearing cleaner" made by RPM that I bought on the acerracing website but it has proved to be pretty ineffective against the amount of dirt and rocks that I am currently getting stuck in my bearings.

Also, if I should take off the plastic shielding, does anyone have any sites w/ some pictorial instructions on how to remove the plastic shielding from these acer (polyamide (pardon the spelling if it is incorrect)) bearing covers?

THis is my first time with ceramics and I am afraid to bust the covers.

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

Whatever you do dont try and remove the seals or you will ruin them. The rubber seals are not meant to come off. Use the RPM bearing blaster. When you use it be sure and press down firmly on the top half because it actually pushes the center of the bearing (called the race) away from the outer wall of the bearing and opens a little gap in the seal for you to flush motor spray through the balls inside. Then use the Acer "sin" oil to relube them. You can just put drops of oil on the top of the rubber seals and it will soak into the bearings around the edges of the seals.

ChadCapece 05-24-2005 04:26 PM

I've had good luck with taking an exacto knife, and slipping it under the rubber shields. Make sure you enter between two balls in the race. Then just lift up, and the shield comes out. Same for the other side. Then spray out everything. Replace one side with the shield. Two drops of Trinity Royal Oil. Then put on the last shield. And now you have a smooth bearing. :tire:

S-T-R-l-K-E-R 05-24-2005 04:30 PM

funny thing. whenever i clean my acer bearings i use both rpm bearing cleaner after dipping em in the integy bath. the bearings come out nice and smooth.

rcnewb2004 05-24-2005 06:30 PM

THanks for all the great help guys.

I will try the bearing blaster again. (i find that sometimes brown crud is still stuck to the edges of the rubber seals (the edge between the metal outercasing and the rubber seal) after I used the bearing blaster. But then again, I think my motor spray running out might have caused the ineffectiveness of the rpm bearing blaster.

Thanks for the advice. I will not take off the rubber seals for I think my lack of skills w/ the xacto might cause damage to my bearings.

Patrick.

JRM 05-24-2005 07:41 PM

Bearing Blaster

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
I use the RPM Bearing Blaster. It finishes where every thing else stops. It really gets all the gunk out of the bearings....In fact Acer suggest using it.

Hands down the best "bang for the buck" rc tool I have ever owned. Highly recommended.

ChadCapece 05-24-2005 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by rcnewb2004

Thanks for the advice. I will not take off the rubber seals for I think my lack of skills w/ the xacto might cause damage to my bearings.

Patrick.

You won't damage the bearing, but the seal if anything. But it's all good as long as you get them clean :)