Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R/C Tech LIVE at the 2005 Reedy Race of Champions @ Tamiya USA

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 06:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

exactly, which would make a multi-car race off in the case of a tie a great idea....
Old 05-30-2005, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tonyv
No, I think it's a valid point that clearly communicated rules are sufficient. We can argue the merits of each model but when you need tie breakers whatever you use will have it's drawbacks.
Absolutely correct. No system is perfect, so the important thing is that everybody knows the system beforehand.

The system in UK now has 2 finals, and if you have a draw - easily done as we saw in the very first round between Chris Grainger and Glen Doman who both had a win and a second, then the decider is TQ.

OK so everybody knows about it, but what if the guy that was 2nd on the grid won a much faster final, as was in fact the case. I would never have gone for TQ as a decider, but for the fastest race, which would be a better reflection that the fastest man won, especially when both races were also much faster than TQ. I am giving this as an example. Both happen to be friends of mine and I would have been equally glad whichever one of them won.

Which brings us back to our original discussion - what is best !
Old 05-30-2005, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tsuiyuen
who is TQ?
Well i fyou think about it Marc would be TQ if you were going off most laps in the fastest time.
Hara would be if you were going by fastest single lap.
Stephen <><
Over all it was a blast to watch and R/Clive is about as good as it gets without video...I think if everyone contibutes some $$$$RC scoring Pro and Brandon could maybe add a cool web cam next big race.
We will ahve ot wait and see.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Rock on Mr. Robinson....

Good job PW...11th aint to shabby for an old man....
Old 05-30-2005, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

sounds to me like if everyones favorite car won, there would be no arguing...... but what the results tell me is that in the right hands all of these cars are competitive with eachother, and that, i like.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

This is what racing at any level is all about, being skilled, proud , and competitive, so having the passion to say what you think, or make your points known, is just an extension of that, even as spectators, it doesnt make anyone right or wrong, or change the results, it was a great race, and exciting even after it was over and everyone was waiting to see who the "official" winner was.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone know where there are pictures from the event?

Thanks Boomer
Old 05-30-2005, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Theres about a million and one different combinations of how ties are broken in all the different qualifying, finals and "Reedy race" formats.

But I think if anything it just shows how closely matched Jilles & Craig were, I don't think anything can be taken away from the superb performance that both the drivers put in - separated after less than 0.4 of a second after two days of racing against [at least] 7 current and former IFMAR world champs really does speak for itself.

Having watched the Reedy Race here in the UK last year, I was amazed at how well the format appeared to work, it produced great racing, great entertainment and, in my opinion, it is the fairest way to race.

Yes one heat may have had slightly better track conditions than others - but think of the difference if this was FTQ [Rocket run] or even Round-by-round [qual points] qualifying - you will still get some people running on a faster track than others. At least in the Reedy format this doesnt matter until the very last tie-break decider.

It was a great weekend's racing to "watch" on the web - thanks to everyone who posted reports, pictures, and to the guys for getting RC Scoring Pro & Live RC broadcasting across the globe, it was great!

Oli
Old 05-30-2005, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The Reedy event is one of the events that makes RC fun if you enjoy following the Pro scene and have a favorite make and model of car. This is an all star event and just getting all of these drivers together is awsome. All of us can look at the results and be excited about the cars we drive at our local scenes. The Associated crew has to get some major boost from the win. Losi has the Mod class and the fact that Kinwald won a couple of the invite races is no small feat. Tamiya, Xray, Yokomo, HPI/HB, Corally and Schumacher all had fast drivers and fast cars. Looks like the field of sedans is wide open and a person is not crazy to choose which one they like and enjoy.

Looking forward to any and all pics that will be posted!

Jeff
Old 05-30-2005, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fjm9898
the tie goes to the guy that had the fastest overall race and Jilles was off by .393 (so i herd) which would suck to have run 8 races and lost by .4 seconds for the whole weekend
Yeah, but that makes for great racing!
Old 05-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Boomer
Does anyone know where there are pictures from the event?

Thanks Boomer
You guys get too spoiled when I attend a race

I didn't get to go to this one unfortunately..
Old 05-30-2005, 08:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

I think a main final like was done at carpet world cup would be great......

something like "the lord of the reedy race"....

the top 10 after 8 rounds making the main final, maybe three mains......

what do you guys think about it:

1 Craig Drescher
2 Jilles Groskamp
3 Atsushi Hara
4 Marc Rheinard
5 Masami Hirosaka
6 David Jun
7 David Spashett
8 Ralph Burch
9 Satoshi Maezumi
10 Andrew Moore

very exciting race, isn't it?
Old 05-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is some pics
http://www.rccarusa.com/
Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Old 05-30-2005, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Looks like it was good, hope to see some video about

and..

Stunning trophy girl
Old 05-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tonyv
..In my opinion in this race format times should be the last possible tie-breaker and throw away results should count first.
Agreed. The Reedy Race is about racing, not times. A driver with a big lead should not have to push for a fast time, he should be allowed to do what it takes to maintain his lead even if this means slowing down. He should not be penalized for that.

The tie breaking system was not totally clear in the driver's meeting. Most, including myself (and Jilles), were under the impression that if there was a tie in points the number of first, seconds, etc. wouold be used to break the tie. The problem is that we thought this included the throwouts.

BTW, there was also some conclusion about stop and go penalties and where they should be taken. I think all that is required to clear up confusion is a simple list of printed rules for the invitational drivers so everyone knows what is going on.

That said, Craig was fast from the first practice session and is a deserving winner.

The format creates the most exciting racing in the R/C world with the champion never decided until the last round of races. Sure some people have harder or easier races, but that is the nature of the event.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.