Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Many questions...One place?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Many questions...One place?

Hi, im looking at getting into electric 1/10 on road (after spending a few years messing around with nitro) and i was just wondering if there is a site which has comprehensive answers to all the newb queations about motors, gear ratios, esc', batteries and chargers etc.? Hopefully so as to save many people from the hasstle of answering the same old questions!

Many thanks in advance

Chris
Old 05-21-2005, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

ehh...I think you found the right place! Ask away!
Old 05-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

http://www.actionrc.com.au/Section_1.htm - Get readin!
Old 05-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Ok, here it goes!

Im pretty dead set on getting a TC4 to race at (primeraly) the smallish club level in the stock 27T class. My first main question is about the esc, i know that most (if not all) esc will accept a stock motor so will there be any significant gain in performance with a high-end esc? would my money be better spent on a decent transmitter/reciever setup?
For betteries, from what ive read i believe that gp3300 are the best (legal) batteries. Would it be advisable to buy matched sets if i dont intend (for a few months) to buy an expensive charger and discharger?

I am fairly experienced with setting up cars as well as intermediate driving skills from my experience in nitro, so i shouldnt have too much trouble there. Its just the electronics side!

Basically im looking for a good 'beginners' setup to get me on my way while still being competative
Old 05-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Before everyone has their recomendations first tell us how much you are willing to spend.Thanks

Sean
Old 05-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Aside from the initial cost of the car ive got about £200-£250 to get started, i.e. motor, esc, charger, servo, batteries. Then ive got around £70-£100 per month to buy other stuff as i go along. So should i get the best esc and charger i can afford and upgrade the rest as i go along?
Old 05-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

always invest in the high end stuff now before buying mid end. Trust me jelousy will come in your first race when you see people with high end stuff. then you start wondering what to do with the stuff now.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Tech Initiate

I have that mentality as well, its just a question of what i dump all my money into first? At this level will i benefit more from an expencive esc or an expencive radio setup?
I like the look of the novak gt7 at £99
Ive read a lot of good stuff about the duratrax ice charger aswell.
In terms of transmitters, the 3PM is nice, or should i go for the more expencive MX-3 and get a cheaper esc?

Thanks for the help so far

Chris
Old 05-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

If your choosing between the 3PM and the MX-3...go for the 3PM. MX-3 sucks man!
Old 05-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Default 3pm

3pm all the way... Dan's right, i hear the mx-3 is a kinda glitchy, and the 3pm is spektrum compatible.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:05 AM
Tech Regular

I use Mx3s and like it just fine. Only case of the glitchies I ever had was caused by Big-T using faulty caps on one of their motors.

Buy a decent ESC now, don't cheap out on this item. Buying a cheap one + buying a better one later = more money.

If you do nitro as well... why not get a good radio that you can use for all your cars.

TC4.... well depending on your track layout, and your experience, may turn out to be an expensive first car...
Old 05-23-2005, 07:59 AM
Tech Initiate

just wondering why the tc4 would turn out to be an expensive car for a beginner? i found one for around £150, does it need much in the way of hopups to make it competitive at club level?
thanks

Chris
Old 05-23-2005, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

My first TC was a TC4. Bear in mind I run indoors on carpet with wooden boards...

I went through alot of parts, it is not the strongest car on the market by a long shot. If you have a pretty open track without hard things to run into the car will be great.

To make the car abit tougher.. I recommend the RPM NTC3 plastic bumper which will help protect the front arms. Keep spare arms, rear uprights and hub bearings as well.

I have since gone to a FK'05 and don't break parts anywhere near as often, though that can also be attributed to the experience I have gained. This makes the XRay a cheaper car to run on a daily basis in my experience.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Nice panther, what track u racing at. For a radio, feel a stick and pistol one an dfind out which you preffer, for stick, the sanwa gemini II is good or like 130quid. For pistol the new hot thing looks like the Spektrum DX3 for around 150quid. For esc, choose one u want, reverse or not? For a motor, maybe a monster stock. Finally, get a good charger to start I didnt and regret it.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Yeah, i expect to break a few parts along the way, tho i am fairly experienced with my nitro cars, there is nowhere to race in my area so im going electric. im going to be racing at Charnwood Racing Club- Leicester i think.
I saw the spectrum dx3 and im impressed with the features and the price, maby ill look into it a bit more.

Back the the esc tho, ive found the novak gt7 for £99 and they go for around $80 new on ebay. This is i good esc right? i like the look of the gtx as well but its an extra £50.

Also what is the general consensus on the duratrax ice charger?

Many thanks for all the patience of answering all my questions!

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.