Search

F201

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

Originally posted by Ooj
rc zombies

I have used the evo 3 heatsink as well but I have found that it cannot fit it on when the aluminium motor guard is installed. Do you have the same problem?
had that problem too... had the heatsink before the alloy motor guard... found out too late that the motor guard will block the heat sink... so i had to eighty-six the heat sink...
Old 05-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

Originally posted by GundamWZero
I may be outa my league, but I own a Kyosho F1. When I had her running she was fast! Unforuunately, once you get a pebble in the rear diff, it is all over! I would like to see what Tamyia has that is great or should I get the latest Kyosho F1 kit? Also, it has become a PITA to find bodies for the Kyosho F1, That is why I want a Tamyia F1.
does Kyosho have a new F1 kit out? last i heard of a Kyosho F1 chassis it was the Impress... the kit had a Monaco style rear wing...
Old 05-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys. I usually run TC, but love the realism of these F1 cars! A few of my racing friends and i were considering getting into this class of racing, but curious about a few things. We would not be going to TCS races, but would be racing indoors on carpet locally. Are there foam tires readily available, or would we be limited to the stock rubber tires? Are most of the hop-ups available through Tamiya, or other manufacturers? Can you run it with anything other than stick packs? (a thing i hated about my TA-03) The last Tamiya car i owned was a TA-03 front drive PRO chassis. It was the car that got me started in TC. The quality and fitment wasnt the greatest though. There was tons of slop in the steering, and i had to replace the diff/outdrive cups made of a cheap metal, on a regular basis. Getting them was a pain as well. I could assume that Tamiya has addressed these issues over the years, but their website shows they still sell cars with the TA-03 chassis! I guess if i drop that much coin on a chassis, i want it to meet my expectations. Can you guys give me some ideas as to what to expect when i open the box? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- DaveW
Old 05-13-2004, 05:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by Ooj
rc zombies

I have used the evo 3 heatsink as well but I have found that it cannot fit it on when the aluminium motor guard is installed. Do you have the same problem?
A better solution: Go to a bead/earring supply store and buy a pair of pliers that have round grips. These work great and they can be used on shock pistons as well.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

DaveW

The car can use standard sedan rims, so you can run your favorite tc foams. Honestly, I would suggest you stick with rubber tires. First off, you totally destroy the realism of the car by putting aero-dish tellow rims (or whatever) on the car. Also, the rubber tires squeal, even on carpet. Trust me, when other racers hear you guys squealing around the track, it will get their attention and hopefully get them excited to race the class. imo, Pit Shimizu medium compound works best on carpet. The Tamiya Type A's are a bot soft unless the track is really green. There are many manufacturers that make every imaginable hop-up for the car. 3Racing, Square, Tobee Craft, GPM and many other offer quality parts for the car, There is also a company called FPM that makes many very trick hop-ups. Check www.formula1-rc.com and you'll get a good idea what stuff is available for the car. The F201 has the customary Tamiya slop, but it's nothing a few properly placed shims and o-rings won't take care of. Also, it uses the same size ballcup/ball sizes as all of the other kits, so you can get the nice Evo3/415 ballcups that fit nicely with minimal slop. The kit outdrives are metal, but there are lightweight composite outdrives available that wear very well. I have nearly 3 years of racing on my "club" car and I have never replaced the composite outdrives since I installed them.

Honestly, the car is very capable right out of the box. The kit tires are worthless, so don't glue them up. I suggest Pit Shimizu tires for their excellent grip and wear characteristics. Also, get a set of the reinforced lower arms. The kit onesbreak pretty easily. I race the TCS races here on the West Coast and the fast F201 guys are not far off the GT1 (mod class) pace. It is a very fun class to race. If you try and make it into a sedan, I think you might be a bit disappointed. If you race in the spirit of the TCS class, I think you will have a blast racing the car. Good luck getting a class off the ground!

Originally posted by DaveW
Hey guys. I usually run TC, but love the realism of these F1 cars! A few of my racing friends and i were considering getting into this class of racing, but curious about a few things. We would not be going to TCS races, but would be racing indoors on carpet locally. Are there foam tires readily available, or would we be limited to the stock rubber tires? Are most of the hop-ups available through Tamiya, or other manufacturers? Can you run it with anything other than stick packs? (a thing i hated about my TA-03) The last Tamiya car i owned was a TA-03 front drive PRO chassis. It was the car that got me started in TC. The quality and fitment wasnt the greatest though. There was tons of slop in the steering, and i had to replace the diff/outdrive cups made of a cheap metal, on a regular basis. Getting them was a pain as well. I could assume that Tamiya has addressed these issues over the years, but their website shows they still sell cars with the TA-03 chassis! I guess if i drop that much coin on a chassis, i want it to meet my expectations. Can you guys give me some ideas as to what to expect when i open the box? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- DaveW
Old 05-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

3Racing lists a rim and foam tire in their parts list but no one has been able to get them yet.

As for the batteries...the aftermarket chassis also use stick packs but can be modified to work with side by side packs. None are setup for saddle packs though.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Guys, thanks so much for the replies. I agree on using TC foams runing the spirit of the car. The tire/wheel combo is one of the attracting factors. We have run rubber tires on carpet before, so that would be no issue. I guess i should have been more specific and asked if they make foams on those hot stock rims! I checked out the site you posted, but only briefly. It is in my favorites listing for when i have more time. The stick pack thing is a thorn in my side. But we could always get 2-4 good packs stick pack style just for this car. I have talked about this car with a few more friends, they are all very interested! (" When are we ordering???") I will be sure and post pics once we get the cars up and running! Again, thanks...

- DaveW
Old 05-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

I finally got to run my my car this past Sunday. It handled pretty good, rear end was way loose at first but got better with some spring changes, still needs more tuning but it was drivable. During the main I clipped a pipe clamp and pretty much ripped the whole front left suspension off the car. Broken lower arm (reinforced), upper arm, lightweight outdrive, pulled the pillow ball through the upright, bent the steering turnbuckle. The only thing not broken/bent was the shock pushrod and the CVD. I hope my LHS can get all the parts by this weekend.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by newracer
I finally got to run my my car this past Sunday. It handled pretty good, rear end was way loose at first but got better with some spring changes, still needs more tuning but it was drivable. During the main I clipped a pipe clamp and pretty much ripped the whole front left suspension off the car. Broken lower arm (reinforced), upper arm, lightweight outdrive, pulled the pillow ball through the upright, bent the steering turnbuckle. The only thing not broken/bent was the shock pushrod and the CVD. I hope my LHS can get all the parts by this weekend.
Clipped the pipe" Sounds like you tried to re-arrange it...
I have yet to break the re re-enforced arm.. but I have bent over 20 the the pillow balls. Check the gear housing, you might have sheared one of them and have to replace it...
Old 05-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Once you have a few race days under your belt, you'll find a setup that works well for you. Try running a bit more rear toe-in, maybe 3 degrees. That will tame the rearend down quite a bit. I find that the rearend like to be set up really stiff. I usually run either olive Tamiya springs or Cross gold in the rear with minimum leverage on the adjustable rocker arms. The car also likes a lot of camber since the roll center is fairly high. Don't be afraid to use as much as 5 degrees of negative camber.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default New Chassis?

hey guys.. does anyone know of an aftermarket chassis that allows for the use of side by side packs? ive seen the 3Racing chassis.. but looking for something that extends out to support all 6 cells in a side by side formation.
Old 05-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

So far my tires look like they are wearing even so I think I'll leave my camber as is for now. I'll try more rear toe and I also plan on going to stiffer springs in the front and rear. I didn't change the fronts on race day due to limited time. I check for more damage as I take it apart.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default Reinforced arms loose?

I installed the reinforced lower arms a few weeks ago...and I just got around to getting it all set up. Still a little afraid to take it out...but that's another story.

Anyways...with the stock lowers, there was a little play, but with the beefy ones, there's a TON of slop in the lowers.

Did I do something wrong? I saw another on at the local P/L track -- same thing, reinforced arms and they were really sloppy.

I was thinking about trying to wedge the little split-ball deals apart a little bit to tighten them up.

Any clues or insight?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

That's normal for alot of slop in the reinforced lower arms. All you have to do now is take that slop out.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally posted by Neil Rabara
That's normal for alot of slop in the reinforced lower arms. All you have to do now is take that slop out.
Any suggestions? I was thinking about trying to wedge the pivot balls apart some more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.