Search

F201

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by psycho
revzalot

It kind of fizzled out. Initially, most of the F201 racers in the Bay Area were interested, but very few actually committed to race the series (pay an extra fee to race the series, which would pay for trophies, etc.) There are 10-12 regulars that race the class and typically some show up at most any venue in the Bay Area. RCCAR is racing 9/19 and we have a points series for F201. You should come out and race with us. It's too late in the season to have a shot a trophy, but you can see how we race and get ready for next season. We race with 19T motors. I hope to see you out there. You can check www.rccar.com for more details.
Psycho,

Thanks I'll check it out. I just built mine with a brushless and the car rocks! It handles great out of the box but a little on the fragile side. I've already tore the front lower sway strip. I've replaced it with a thin strip of carbon fiber and the handling dramatically improved. I really like how the folks at slcff1.com set up the league with track layouts similar to the actual F1 circuits.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm right here with you guys in the Bay Area and am curious about this f1 league. So what are all the fees? From what I've read there is a club fee, fees to race, and also a ROAR membership fee?
Old 09-06-2004, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by quantum
i've seen some people running williams body have the back end get loose -is that what you mean by 'aggressive'? (if so, its kind of strange considering that the back end of the body scoops up which you'd think would provide more downforce)

if you could generalize, what conditions would be best suited for each body?

thanks for the feedback.
Aggressive could mean many things. When I mean "aggressive, I am referring to the amount of steering the car has, or quite simply oversteer. There is so much of it that the rear end doesn't stay planted, hence the car getting loose. The rear scoops of the Williams are more asthenics than anything. There has been a long discussion regarding body aerodynamics, not on this thread though. It has concluded that for proper aero to work, the vehicle must be traveling at 50+ mph. The F201 will never reach that speed, if it does, it can't sustain it because the car will reach the end of the strait. In effect, the rear scoops will not work. What does work is drag, there is always drag at any speed. Since the front wing of the Williams is very large with more surface area, it will cause more drag in the forward portion of the car. This drag pushes down the front end of the car, that plus the added weight of the that wing compounds the effect. Some people have gotten it to work, I did, but I didn't achieve the same lap times as the other body/wing kit. Perhaps it may be better on tight tracks with superb traction. I wouldn't know though.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

Originally posted by Neil Rabara
Why?
After 9/11, formula one teams had some sort of tribute to the victims. but only ferrari had the most visible tribute: All red car devoid of decals and the nose and front wings were bare carbon fiber... in fact, the only visible sponsor markings were the ferrari badge on the nose, the bridgestone labels on the tires and the bbs markings on the rims.

after the italian GP, Jordan followed suit in the USGP in indy by putting a large US flag on the engine cover... other teams also put US flags on their cars after seeing the Jordan example.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

revzalot and grymg

I would really like to do a dedicated F201 series, but honestly, there's not enough people racing the car in this area and those that are don't have enough interest in racing a multi-venue series. This was tried with sedan earlier in the year and that series lost money. I am already out of pocket over $100 from trying to get the F201 series off the ground, so I'm less than inclined to spend more with the amount of interest that people had when I asked at the beginning of the year. I think the biggest problem is that we have many venues to race at in the Bay Area and people don't want to go to Fresno or Sacramento to race when they can just race here. Plus, RCCAR has a points series that everyone races at, so I think this further reduces the interest. Then, you add the series race fee, ROAR and the normal track race fee and people don't feel like they get a good value.

At RCCAR, here's how the fees go:
ROAR membership required $30 per year
Track race fee is $15 for the first class
RCCAR membership fee $25 (optional) This gets you in the points series and gives you a discount on the race fee. Also, many hobby shops in the area give you 5% discount for RCCAR membership. Most of the tracks in the bay area require ROAR membership or will be requiring it next season, so it's a good thing to have, plus, you can compete in ROAR events if you're so inclined. I hope to see you guys out there this month. Hobbytown in Newark is racing this Sat as well. I can't make it, but I'm sure guys will be there with F201s.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Tommi Makkinen
After 9/11, formula one teams had some sort of tribute to the victims. but only ferrari had the most visible tribute: All red car devoid of decals and the nose and front wings were bare carbon fiber... in fact, the only visible sponsor markings were the ferrari badge on the nose, the bridgestone labels on the tires and the bbs markings on the rims.

after the italian GP, Jordan followed suit in the USGP in indy by putting a large US flag on the engine cover... other teams also put US flags on their cars after seeing the Jordan example.
Wow, this happened a while ago. I wasn't into F1 at that time. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 09-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah, I remember that now, I think that was a pretty classy move by Ferrari.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by psycho
revzalot and grymg
At RCCAR, here's how the fees go:
ROAR membership required $30 per year
Track race fee is $15 for the first class
RCCAR membership fee $25 (optional) This gets you in the points series and gives you a discount on the race fee. Also, many hobby shops in the area give you 5% discount for RCCAR membership. Most of the tracks in the bay area require ROAR membership or will be requiring it next season, so it's a good thing to have, plus, you can compete in ROAR events if you're so inclined. I hope to see you guys out there this month. Hobbytown in Newark is racing this Sat as well. I can't make it, but I'm sure guys will be there with F201s.
Hot darnit! I'll stick to Sheldon's and HT races for now, until they require me to purchase a ROAR membership. Gotta use the money for stick pack batteries.

Thanks Psycho.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Hehe. Both of those tracks will likely start requiring ROAR membership next year. When a track joins ROAR, it gets insurance from ROAR, so it's a good deal for the track since the club affiliation fee is not much more than an individual member fee. If you're short on packs, most of the guys that race F201 and Mini have extra packs that you can borrow if you ask nicely. I run power pole connectors, but most guys run Deans.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I have two stick packs now but I need more if I plan to race. When I get my F201 ready I'll probably be racing just that class only, because I heard all of my spare time will be spent wrenching on the car! Well, not that extreme but I'll definitely have to pay attention to my setup in case it changes from heat to heat. Which can be brutal at times I'm sure with open wheelers.

Still have the kit sealed in plastic and waiting for my order to arrive from f1rc. Great deals there! At least the tires are cheaper. Got a set of the Pit hards as suggested by badboy. Also ordered the carbon brace set and reinforced lower arms in case I plan on doing a little crashing during practice.

Before I race I also need the following spare parts: gearbox, front wing, upper arms, pillow balls, uprights, turnbuckles, and an extra diff in case the kit one breaks.

Any further input is appreciated.

**whew**
Attached Thumbnails F201-dsc01716a.jpg  
Old 09-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

You also might want to look at getting light weight diff halves. The stock diffs loosen and/or break the diff screw.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

The F201 concours winner at the nats! A Sauber never looked so good!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You also might want to look at getting light weight diff halves. The stock diffs loosen and/or break the diff screw.
You won't want to have a look at getting them!!! What a waste of time!!! YOU'LL JUST WANT TO STEAL THE DAMN THINGS STRAIGHT AWAY, and noone would be the wiser.

Honestly, the Lightweight diffs and the reinforced arms are NECCESSITIES!!! Also, don't use the stabilizer bar either, this just weakens the reinforced arms, and its also a hindrense on the car.

As far as spare parts goes, I would get gearbox casings, uprights, pillow balls and that's about it really. I have never broken a front wing or reinforced arm yet, and we race with very strong timber walls with super stock motors. Aside from those things, you should be right unless something unpredictable happens. I broke a thrust bearing the other week, not good but my LHS had some in stock. I almost had a heart attack!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Wow, this happened a while ago. I wasn't into F1 at that time. Thanks for the clarification.
No problemo bro... if you got any F-1 history questions, just ask me...hehehe
Old 09-08-2004, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

The F201 concours winner at the nats! A Sauber never looked so good!

Sweet Bodywork! who's the owner? is he Dave Berger?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.