F201

Old 09-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

What is the parts number for the Lightweight diffs and upgrade prop shafts? I need to place an order .....
Old 09-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I am not sure what the part#s are but they are available at discount prices from both speedtech and formula1-rc.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Nova F1 Racer
Neil, which ESC did you use?

Thanks again
GT 7.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jackhammer74
Neil's Da Man , Thanks for the setup, when you offered your setup I figured it was a standard setup sheet, not a whole setup breakdown, awesome!! Thanks for sharing the knowledge dude.
No worries Jack. Hopefully the setup will work for you.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by over gear
thanks Neil!!
You're welcome.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys, I just recently joined this forum from the R/C motorcycles section, but seeing as how I am as much a Formula1 fan as a motogp fan I ordered a Ferrari kit just recently. I've been reading the past 50+ pages and also doing research on the other sites (I think I have 10 bookmarked) and getting very good info from you guys! Just a couple questions:

1) which front and rear aftermarket tires should I buy? Soft, Medium, or Hard? I run parking lot races at Hobbytown Newark.

2) I read that these items usually break: wings, gears, lower arms, upper arms, uprights, and pillow balls.
Exactly which gears break and which of the wings break - front+nose or rear wing?

3) I was told the setup from the manual is pretty good. Should I use that as my starting point, or the David Jun setup from Oct. 4, 2002? Of course the first things I must do are to replace the oil with 3000wt. diff oil, get new lower arms, remove the stab. plate, and loctite the diff screw.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally posted by grymg
Hi guys, I just recently joined this forum from the R/C motorcycles section, but seeing as how I am as much a Formula1 fan as a motogp fan I ordered a Ferrari kit just recently. I've been reading the past 50+ pages and also doing research on the other sites (I think I have 10 bookmarked) and getting very good info from you guys! Just a couple questions:

1) which front and rear aftermarket tires should I buy? Soft, Medium, or Hard? I run parking lot races at Hobbytown Newark.

2) I read that these items usually break: wings, gears, lower arms, upper arms, uprights, and pillow balls.
Exactly which gears break and which of the wings break - front+nose or rear wing?

3) I was told the setup from the manual is pretty good. Should I use that as my starting point, or the David Jun setup from Oct. 4, 2002? Of course the first things I must do are to replace the oil with 3000wt. diff oil, get new lower arms, remove the stab. plate, and loctite the diff screw.

Thanks!
Congratulations on joining our world of F1.

1st off I would ask the guys at the local track what tires they use, in general i would suggest running the Pit tires is the track allows for them with a 1 hard up front on all but verry high bite tracks.

When in comes to breakage you are most likely to bend pillow balls and break rear uprights so stock several of each. The new lower arms hold up well and will not break easily nor will the wings or gears. If the hobby shop where you will be racing does not stock a good supply of spares you will want to keep thease itmes on hand as well as a spare diff, suspension turnbuckles, and gearboxes. You will also want to keep an eye on your pinion and spur as they probably wear faster than you are used to.

For a staring setup I would start with the box setup with 60wt oil and 3 hole pistons (1 hole for high grip tracks) and gold springs front & rear. Set the shock length to give you about 4mm uptravel at both ends with a ride height about 1mm taller than the sedan guys run and tune from there.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

grymg

If you get a set of Pit Shimizu mediums and a set of their hards, you're good to go at H-town and RCCAR for any condition we encounter at those tracks. Sheldons has both compounds in stock.

Definitely get the reinforced lower arm set and an extra set of the pivot balls that connect the uprights to the suspension arms. The reinforced arms are much more durable and also allow the suspension to work since they don't flex as much as the stock arms.

I would say that Jun's setup is a good place to start. I would suggest that you get the Tamiya low friction damper piston set and run the 3 hole pistons with 50 weight oil and the kit plastic shock bodies (or 40 weight with the alum shock bodies) for H-town. That works well there and also at Speedring/RCCAR. Ask any of the F201 regulars and we'll help you get your car sorted out. BTW, we typically run 19T motors at RCCAR, H-town and Sheldons. If you check www.rcracing.com message board, there will be a thread discussing running some different motor if we are going to do that, but since RCCAR has a points series running 19T motors, we typically run those unless it's close to TCS, then we'll switch to stock motors.

See you out there.
Dave
Old 09-02-2004, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Dave is my F201 Hero!

Hopefully by the next HT race I will have a car going. I need to put a little fun back into my racing.Always soooooo serious!
Old 09-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

I personally think the Square's are the best aftermarket tires. Good rubber with a great roll out.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Keep in mind that Jun's setup was written long before many of the current hopups were made available. I started off with a combination of the two.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:16 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Question

I've heard that a lot of people are putting orange o-rings between the reinforced lower arms in order to reduce slop. Where to you put them?

1) Do you put them on the screwhead side of the ballnut (MD-2 in the manual)? If so, will it restrict the down travel of the lower arm?

2) Do you put the o-ring on the chassis side of the ballnut? If so, will it restrict the up travel of the lower arm.?

I really do not want to restrict the range of the motion of the arms, but would like to get rid of some of the slop that you get after you install the reinforced arms.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Question

Originally posted by Rugrat
I've heard that a lot of people are putting orange o-rings between the reinforced lower arms in order to reduce slop. Where to you put them?

1) Do you put them on the screwhead side of the ballnut (MD-2 in the manual)? If so, will it restrict the down travel of the lower arm?

2) Do you put the o-ring on the chassis side of the ballnut? If so, will it restrict the up travel of the lower arm.?

I really do not want to restrict the range of the motion of the arms, but would like to get rid of some of the slop that you get after you install the reinforced arms.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Some people pry open the ball nut to help reduce slop. I put the o-rings on the chassis side of the ball nut to reduce slop. The orange o-rings don't impeded the uptravel of the arm because the o-ring is soft. If you put the black o-rings in there, that will significantly affect the up travel of the arm because the o-ring is hard. Both o-rings reduce slop of the arm.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Thumbs up THANKS Neil!!!

Old 09-03-2004, 08:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the replies!! My F1 actually came in yesterday. I'm in good hands over here and on the f1rc forum. I'll be there at Sheldon's this weekend with my Pro2 but my F201 will still be in pieces by then. I dropped by Sheldon's after work yesterday (I work in Santa Clara) but no reinforced lower arms. So I can't run the F1 until I order them sometime online. That and Ride medium tires.
Attached Thumbnails F201-dsc01716a.jpg  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.