Wiki Posts
Search

Sakura Zero S or the Spec-R S1

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Sakura Zero S or the Spec-R S1

Looking to get in to an on-road RCGT class and not looking to spend a bunch of money on a TC. Of the two cars listed which would be the preferred car?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Adept

I just went thru this same choice. It really is a toss up. get the one that the local guys are running or that your LHS carries parts for.

I wanted a gear diff up front, so I went with a Sakura zero s.

IF you get the Sakura, You need to get the vertical motor mount.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

The Spec-R S1 is the better of the two and does not need any upgrades.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by danny325is
I just went thru this same choice. It really is a toss up. get the one that the local guys are running or that your LHS carries parts for.

I wanted a gear diff up front, so I went with a Sakura zero s.

IF you get the Sakura, You need to get the vertical motor mount.
Problem is the local hobby shop stocks parts for the higher end TCs like Xray and AE but I'm not looking to drop $400 on a TC to run in the RCGT class which is why I'm looking at the above two cars. If I go with the Sakura I'll grab the motor mount, thanks for the tip.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by SteveM
The Spec-R S1 is the better of the two and does not need any upgrades.
Reading about both cars this seems to be the case, for the $20 price difference it seems the Spec-R might be the better choice. Is there anything you'd absolutely recommend getting for the Spec-R out of the box? It comes with threaded shocks correct?
Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have both and like using each depending on the race. I use the sakura in vta and the spec r for tc. about the only option you might want for the spec r is to get the sway bar kit and thats about it. But they both are good cars and drive about the same to me anyway. You can"t go wrong with either car it just comes down to what you want to spend really.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EricW
Reading about both cars this seems to be the case, for the $20 price difference it seems the Spec-R might be the better choice. Is there anything you'd absolutely recommend getting for the Spec-R out of the box? It comes with threaded shocks correct?
I had a Zero S as well and it was great, but needed far too many upgrades to be even with a box stock Spec-R S1. The fan mount is a neat extra as well.

The S1 has a front spool, threaded shocks and the motor mount has a third motor hole so when using large pinions you do not have to go through the spur to tighten the motor. I run one in 17.5 blinky as well as Canadian VTA which is 21.5 blinky. The car runs great in both classes.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:15 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Looking at the manual of the Spec-R car on page 19, there's an indication that a part isn't included. Is it the wheels or the Hex adapters they're talking about?

http://www.tqrcracing.com/forum/file...ion_Manual.pdf
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 PM
Tech Champion

Looking at the manual of the Spec-R car on page 19, there's an indication that a part isn't included. Is it the wheels or the Hex adapters they're talking about?

On page 19, the manual indicates that the servo tape, receiver, ESC and motor are not included.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

The wheels, it comes with hexes, they're just plastic. I'd recommend buying some alloy clamping ones as it's easy to ruin the plastic ones, and easy to lose the pins.

Good car out of the box, ton of upgrades if you so desire. Xray and Tamiya bits fit too, so there are other options. Things I'd really recommend would be alloy hexes as mentioned above, Tamiya ballcups and some flanged bearings for the layshaft. Few cheap upgrades that are worth it for sure.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by SteveM
On page 19, the manual indicates that the servo tape, receiver, ESC and motor are not included.
Hmm, on the link I listed page 19 is showing, what I believe to be, the hex adapters as not being included. You have to look at the printed page 19 in the manual not page 19 according to the PDF reader, they're a page off.

Might be easier to refer to step 36, battery installation page.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Fuzzi0n
The wheels, it comes with hexes, they're just plastic. I'd recommend buying some alloy clamping ones as it's easy to ruin the plastic ones, and easy to lose the pins.

Good car out of the box, ton of upgrades if you so desire. Xray and Tamiya bits fit too, so there are other options. Things I'd really recommend would be alloy hexes as mentioned above, Tamiya ballcups and some flanged bearings for the layshaft. Few cheap upgrades that are worth it for sure.
What size hex adapters for touring cars? Might as well add those to the cart while I'm sticking the kit in there. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Champion

Hmm, on the link I listed page 19 is showing, what I believe to be, the hex adapters as not being included. You have to look at the printed page 19 in the manual not page 19 according to the PDF reader, they're a page off.

Might be easier to refer to step 36, battery installation page.
Look closer....it is the tires and rims that are not included. Nobody sells a kit without even basic plastic hexes.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Bottom line....the S1 is the better sedan, period.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Appreciate the help guys, I'm going with the S1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.