Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
To balance or not to balance that is the question (1/12) >

To balance or not to balance that is the question (1/12)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To balance or not to balance that is the question (1/12)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default To balance or not to balance that is the question (1/12)

I'm currently running a Kyosho Plasma Ra and I'm fairly new to this 1/12 game. For the longest time, I've been racing sedans, and I know a thing or two about chassis tweak and balance. However, 1/12 is a slightly different breed when it comes to chassis tweak and balance. I've combed through Mark Payne's website and followed everything to his instructions. However, there isn't a whole lot about pod balancing and the use of static weights.

Sooo, here we go. This is what I've done to attain rear pod balance.

I've detached the rear pod assembly and placed it on two balancing pins. The rear pod is "race ready" with motor, pinion gear and equally weighted tires.

When placed on the balancing pins the non-drive side was heavier. I thought this was rather strange, however, I placed 9 grams of weight on the motor side and this roughly corrected the overall pod balance. In addition to the pin setup, I placed two digital scales underneath the tires while the pod was still resting on the pins. I did this in order to get a 'visual reading' of what the weight balance was like for both sides. Yes, the tires are the same size diameter (to eliminate any errors) . The process is pretty simply, I would let the non-drive side tire rest on the scale and take its reading (2.2 grams), and I would do the same for the motor side (0.5 grams). Then I would add some weight to correct for this difference until both sides are reading equal values. The value for both sides came to 1.7 grams.

Does it make sense to add static weight to the rear pod to attain such balance?

Like I mentioned before, I am new to this 1/12 game, and it would be nice to know if all this work into balancing the pod is correct or completely wrong. For the experienced drivers, do you even balance the rear pods? What benefits will come of it?

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Some say yes, some say no. I'm in the yes, balance the pod camp but I don't get anal about it. As long as it is fairly close, you're good. You want the pod to be as light as possible since it is unsprung weight so you don't want tons of lead hanging off the back of it but if you can get it close without adding much, do it.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for your input (wingracer). Now, when it comes to static weight placement, where is the best location? Behind the axle of the pod or at the front near the pivot point/side springs?

Cheers.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I swear I have seen pics of Hara'c 1/12th years ago around teh time of the 2004 worlds, had a strip of lead under the rear axle.

Yes, unsprung weight etc etc, i understand the theory, but if it makes the car faster and hopefully without ruining consistency......
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

On my F1 car I just put 2 3mm spacers on the motor screws between the motor and the plate. It went from a few grams heavy on the gear side to nearly exact to a tenth of a gram.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Unsprung weight is an issue but wouldn't also adding weight on the rear pod be used as adding additional traction toward the rear and help with acceleration out of a corner?