Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new car for a beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am a noob and both branches of advise worked out for me: everyone runs a T4 at my track. It's great because the fast guys can look at and/or wheel your car to make sure you're set up right. If you don't have that, you'll never know if it's you or the car. I have a TC4 for VTA and I don't think it can hang with a modern chassis in 17.5. Not sure it can hang in VTA frankly. I love the T4: it's beautiful, fun to drive, and I haven't broken it yet. And my name here isn't because I love drugs. It's because I am a noob and hit the walls frequently. So the car's continued operation is proof of its strength. It isn't cheap but neither is this hobby. So buckle down, drop a grand, and go racin'!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:21 PM
gom
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

like other said, see what other guys at your local track runs. get the same thing so you'll get lots of help. no matter how fast they are, they can't help you if you are running something no body runs. all modern chassis look the same, but they are all different.

never ever get a TC4. they are outdated and will not keep up. Also don't bother with any Tamiya TA or TB series. they are well designed but are not meant to compete with double deck chassis as well.

There are cheaper, faster and more update options out there like the spec-R and CSO.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gom
like other said, see what other guys at your local track runs. get the same thing so you'll get lots of help. no matter how fast they are, they can't help you if you are running something no body runs. all modern chassis look the same, but they are all different.

never ever get a TC4. they are outdated and will not keep up. Also don't bother with any Tamiya TA or TB series. they are well designed but are not meant to compete with double deck chassis as well.

There are cheaper, faster and more update options out there like the spec-R and CSO.
Im looking at getting the S1 (Spec R) at the end of next week if I cant find a used Xray or TC5 or something. The Spec R seems to be the best car for the price, the Schumacher Mi1 looks pretty good too, and amain has them in stock now.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The tc4 is the right beginner car, and can compete in all classes cheaply, specially with the release of the diggity design DL4 carbon fiber conversion kit for it...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Tech Champion

Sorry, it's called the DC4 LE conversion kit for the TC4 ..... Just the most versatile kit out there.....
Old 07-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Sorry, it's called the DC4 LE conversion kit for the TC4 ..... Just the most versatile kit out there.....
Why would you spend $150 on the TC4 club racer kit and then another $200 on the Diggity Designs conversion kit? You could buy three Spec-R S1 kits for the same price and have three better cars.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by SteveM
I disagree. The TC4 was junk when it was released years ago and is still junk today. The S1 is a much better sedan.
The TC4 Club Racer's pre-built chassis includes all of the features you would expect from Team Associated, and is ready to accept most 1:10 scale touring, VTA, and drift car bodies, and 1:10 wheels, tires and electronics.They are good for beginners but like me you'll soon wanna invest in bigger everything.... so make sure you can afford it.

Regards.
Andy.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:23 AM
Tech Champion

Newbies need availability and verstility.... The tc4 parts are everywhere and the tc4 can drive on any surface, prepared or not .... Most newbies are bashers first anyway, and will run on dirty surfaces most of the time...
Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

If the TC4 is a great car, why didn't Team Associated continue with that platform? Because belt driven cars are easier and better to drive. Even they went belt driven with the TC5, and every car after.

I drive an Xray T4 but advise to go with. A car that has support from the local track/racers. A new racer gets help from others that have the same car. It's that simple.