R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #91
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
I have both, and I much prefer the low maintenance of the gear diff over the ball diff, I used to dislike gear diffs at first but after I worked out how to build them so they don't leak and are smooth to turn I come to like them. Even with the stick on diff covers, the ball diff starts to get gritty after a couple of race meets and then it's time to pull apart, clean and replace anything too worn out.

The only way you'll get a ball diff is by buying all the parts separately, even with 3 Racing's free shipping promo you'd still be looking at $45 to build a ball diff up.
For a little extra you can get 2 gear diffs, which you could have as handy spares.

Oh, and just to make things fun, the little plastic "cushions" that go with that ball diff are smaller than the size that 3 Racing use now, and are even harder to find.

Cheers
Rob.
plastic cushions are the same size. not a problem. only thing may be the particular mold that the parts came from. a nail file will fix things right up.

correct that the parts have to be bought individually. no kit is available.

true. a ball diff does require more cleaning. but it is more adjustable and you can make adjustments in less than a minute compared to keeping multiple diffs with different fluid weights and having to change the whole thing out. and the leaks of a gear diff. my Lord. I hope I never have a gear diff again. tried them all and they are a pain. if I had to do one again I would find a way to make the xray diff work. the ball diff is the best upgrade I ever did to my car.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #92
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

XI Sports spare parts have been arrived today.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...id=56&s_sort=3

FYI, Thanks.
http://www.tqrcracing.com
tq@tqrcracing.com
spring71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #93
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6376vette View Post
plastic cushions are the same size. not a problem. only thing may be the particular mold that the parts came from. a nail file will fix things right up.
The following picture begs to differ, the ball diff is from a Sakura Zero and the gear diff (no leaks ) is one that I have put together recently.

Cheers
Rob.
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #94
Tech Master

Lol. looks like 30 seconds with a flat file and problem solved. thanks for the pics. never had any issues myself. now I want to pull out all of my diffs (including the leaking gear diffs ) and compare. I am honestly surprised to see a difference.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 08-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #95
Tech Elite

Quote:
Lol. looks like 30 seconds with a flat file and problem solved. thanks for the pics. never had any issues myself. now I want to pull out all of my diffs (including the leaking gear diffs ) and compare. I am honestly surprised to see a difference.
As was I. At first I couldn't work out why I couldn't get the drive shaft into the ball diff, then after looking I could see why. Had some old Tamiya ones laying around which fitted in nicely.
The gear diff pictured has the lighter aluminum outdrives fitted, the ones that come with the Zero S have steel ones that don't use the plastic cushions.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #96
Tech Adept

Xi sport went well last night. Very consistant car.
As i expected the plastic is a little bit softer than the zero and i broke my first front arm in 5 years, my fault. So for me parts would be rear hubs and front arms and a diff for the front,maybe even a one-way. The arm broke just in front of the swaybar point, that seems to be the weakest spot. finished the night with the faster but more agresive zero s.
Yogi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #97
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring71 View Post
XI Sports spare parts have been arrived today.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...id=56&s_sort=3

FYI, Thanks.
I see no suspension arms yet ?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #98
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi- View Post
As i expected the plastic is a little bit softer than the zero and i broke my first front arm in 5 years, my fault. So for me parts would be rear hubs and front arms and a diff for the front,maybe even a one-way. The arm broke just in front of the swaybar point, that seems to be the weakest spot. finished the night with the faster but more agresive zero s.
FYI a one way will take away the brakes from the front wheels. a car can get loose on rear brakes only. not saying don't try one just throwing that out there.
Serpent S120 13.5
Old 08-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #99
Tech Adept

Quote:
FYI a one way will take away the brakes from the front wheels. a car can get loose on rear brakes only. not saying don't try one just throwing that out there.
Used a oneway for years in Silvercan.some guys had a centre one-way aswell.
Brakes arnt so much of a problem with foams on carpet, u can wash off speed very quickly.they still get a bit loose.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #100
Tech Elite

Quote:
I wonder if the arms will be the same on the Sakura Ultimate? or will you get harder/stronger arms with it?

If you're racing on carpet then you might want to consider a gear diff with 300,000 or 500,000 oil for the front. That's what I was using in my Zero on the weekend I was down there, it was giving me great entry speed into the corners and still had a lot of pull out of the turns.

For the price I'm still considering getting the XI Sport, but it may have to wait a little as I want to get my own F1 car first.
Appreciate the report and feedback.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:25 AM   #101
Tech Adept

Had a chance today to look at the car since tuesday night raceing. The arm has snapped directly across from the shock ball stud and the new style swaybar mount. On the plus side the xi and zero arms fit nicely,Will use them till parts turn up from 3 racing.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #102
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Had a chance today to look at the car since tuesday night raceing. The arm has snapped directly across from the shock ball stud and the new style swaybar mount. On the plus side the xi and zero arms fit nicely,Will use them till parts turn up from 3 racing.
I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the US, when you receive your parts, let us know how long it took to get here ordering directly from 3racing. Thanks!

I love that the floating servo mount is available now.

Also, the Sakura Ultimate is now available at a price of $299. Looks like an awesome car for the price.
drdanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #103
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdanke View Post
I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the US, when you receive your parts, let us know how long it took to get here ordering directly from 3racing. Thanks!

I love that the floating servo mount is available now.

Also, the Sakura Ultimate is now available at a price of $299. Looks like an awesome car for the price.
I'm in Australia. Parts from Hong Kong can be from 6 days to 3 weeks, depending on the size of the parcel.
This is the first time I've order of 3racing so will see.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #104
Tech Adept

Quote:
I'm in Australia. Parts from Hong Kong can be from 6 days to 3 weeks, depending on the size of the parcel.
This is the first time I've order of 3racing so will see.
10 Days Waiting for parts from 3racing still. didnt get much just a couple pair or arms and rear hubs I Bought some alloy Hexs from Ebay (via Hongkong ) Satarday last week and they turned up yesterday.

Pull Your Finger Out 3racing.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #105
Tech Master

Quote:
10 Days Waiting for parts from 3racing still. didnt get much just a couple pair or arms and rear hubs I Bought some alloy Hexs from Ebay (via Hongkong ) Satarday last week and they turned up yesterday.

Pull Your Finger Out 3racing.
Have you tracked it? Customs can hold up shipments. That's usually what happens when my orders take a while. Usual delivery is 6-8 business days from rc Mart.
Serpent S120 13.5