R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #76
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi- View Post
The xi sport is a cheap version of the new soon to be released ultimate ?
The arms,hubs,nuckles,steering,bulkheads, all new and I'd assume the motor mount ( I might have one and ill check ) might be new to.
No the xi sport is a cheap version of the xi. Not the ultimate. The mount pictured is the xi version 2 mount. not for the ultimate.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #77
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I just finished building the XI Sport and I would have to say by far the worst part about it is the servo mount, im going to keep the same platform and upgrade to the aluminum steering and the aluminum servo mounts and drill the holes in the platform as if it were a XI or XI D.H.

I cant believe no one said anything about the Servo mounting but complained about the screws and bulkheads etc.....

IMHO the Servo mounting is junk.
Arsenal2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #78
Tech Initiate

If you can wait a little for more parts to be released, the XI Sport is compatible with the pink aluminum floating servo mount from the Ultimate. The new floating servo mount is going to be an awesome upgrade for the XI-Sport.

Just for the record, the XI Sport is more a budget version of the Ultimate than it is a budget version of the XI.

The XI Sport shares a large amount of its parts with the Ultimate, and very few parts with the XI.

I just did a very quick and dirty (and not complete) parts comparison on the 3racing website, and found the following:

These are the parts of the XI-Sport that are from Ultimate:

Steering Rack
Suspension Mounts
Bulkhead covers
Shock Towers
Floating Servo Mount
Front & Rear suspension arms
Front & Rear wheel hubs, and front steering knuckles
Battery Holder
Rear drive shafts of the Ultimate/D3

These are the parts that are from the XI-Sport, that only fit the XI-Sport, and no other model:

Chassis (both stock & carbon upgrade)
Upper Deck (both stock & carbon upgrade)
Motor Mount
38T Gear Diff (though based entirely on the 40T Ultimate Diff)
NOTE: The normal XI, uses the old Zero gear diff Version2.

The only parts that I could find that were directly compatible between the XI and XI-Sport were the aluminum buklheads, and probably some smaller parts, and maybe shocks.

Again, I probably missed a bunch of parts, but these were the main ones that I made a list of. As you can see, the XI-Sport is largely based on the Ultimate, and not the XI.
drdanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #79
Tech Initiate

The attached image, is a picture of the not yet released aluminum upgrade motor mount center bulkhead combo for the XI-Sport.

As you can see, the design of the motor mount has both options available to screw the motor on (whichever you prefer). Either using 2 opposing horizontal screws, or 2 screws diagonally, like the original mount and the Ultimate mount.
Attached Thumbnails
3 Racing Sakura XI Sport-image.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #80
Tech Addict

Any pics of the "floating" servo mount?

I'm curious as to exactly what you mean. There is no difference in the steering rack correct, just the servo mount?

By the way this is the steering I am talking about:
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...42&p_catid=327
I want to use this with the servo mounts that runs parallel with the body and not vertical the way the XI Sport is setup.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #81
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal2012 View Post
Any pics of the "floating" servo mount?

I'm curious as to exactly what you mean. There is no difference in the steering rack correct, just the servo mount?

By the way this is the steering I am talking about: LINK REMOVED
I want to use this with the servo mounts that runs parallel with the body and not vertical the way the XI Sport is setup.
Attached is a picture from the 3racing website, which shows the floating servo mount:

If you look at almost all of the current high end touring car offerings by all the top brands, the Xray T4, the TCXX, Yokomo BD7, Serpent S411, TOP Photon EX, all of this newest generation of touring cars favor a sideways mounted low profile servo, instead of the front to back mounted servo that the last generation of touring cars favored.

Also, currently, almost all of the top brand cars also favor a "Floating" servo mount. This means that the servo mount only connects to the chassis at one point near the centerline of the chassis, and "floats" the entire servo completely above the chassis. This design lets more of the chassis "flex" properly, and helps eliminate more chassis "tweak".

What does this all mean?

Mounting a low profile servo, side to side, saves a LOT of chassis space, and leaves more room for your ESC, receiver, and fans.

Mounting a low profile servo, side to side, using a floating servo mount, is currently the BEST way possible, to mount a servo.

I guess a similar comparison is this. In the old touring car days, all motors were oriented front to back, and this was fine, until it wasn't, and they realized that this induced an undesirable rolling torque movement, and they struggled to eliminate as much longitudinal rotation forces as possible. Thus the invention of belt driven cars and sideways oriented motors.

Same thing with servo mounting. Floating the servo, in a side to side orientation, is the current best way, and the XI Sport is compatible with this upgrade, but the 3racing floating servo mount has not been released yet.

Is there a specific reason that you do not like mounting your servo side to side instead of front to back?

You stated "IMHO the Servo mounting is junk.", but I'm sure if you popped a new Savox SC-1251MG or Spektrum S6070 low profile servo in there, you'd think it was awesome to save that much room on your chassis. Mounting a standard servo front to back really cramps up a touring car chassis layout.
Attached Thumbnails
3 Racing Sakura XI Sport-sddd.jpg  
Old 08-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #82
Tech Addict

Would someone please let me now which ball diff will fit the XI S.

My second run with the car I hit a sewer hole the car goes airborn does some three sixties and when I run it again its making noise, whining.

I check it and sure enough the gear diff exploded, oil everywhere.

Needless to say I want the ball diff, please help!

Will the XI DH front alloy Ball Diff work on the Rear XI S?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #83
Tech Adept

Quote:
Would someone please let me now which ball diff will fit the XI S.

My second run with the car I hit a sewer hole the car goes airborn does some three sixties and when I run it again its making noise, whining.

I check it and sure enough the gear diff exploded, oil everywhere.

Needless to say I want the ball diff, please help!

Will the XI DH front alloy Ball Diff work on the Rear XI S?
I've got zero diff in the front of mine, so the xi and the zero etc should all fit.
Yogi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #84
Tech Addict

Quote:
I've got zero diff in the front of mine, so the xi and the zero etc should all fit.
I need a ...REAR... ball diff!

Is the front XI DH ball diff dimensions the same for the rear XI S, is this the only ball diff 3racing offers?
It is the only one I have seen, if not plmk part name/number.

Thanks,
Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #85
Tech Adept

Quote:
I need a ...REAR... ball diff!

Is the front XI DH ball diff dimensions the same for the rear XI S, is this the only ball diff 3racing offers?
It is the only one I have seen, if not plmk part name/number.

Thanks,
Front & rear is the same
do you realy want the ball diff ? I had ball diffs in my Cyclone and find it less hassles with the gear diff.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #86
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdanke View Post
Attached is a picture from the 3racing website, which shows the floating servo mount:

If you look at almost all of the current high end touring car offerings by all the top brands, the Xray T4, the TCXX, Yokomo BD7, Serpent S411, TOP Photon EX, all of this newest generation of touring cars favor a sideways mounted low profile servo, instead of the front to back mounted servo that the last generation of touring cars favored.

Also, currently, almost all of the top brand cars also favor a "Floating" servo mount. This means that the servo mount only connects to the chassis at one point near the centerline of the chassis, and "floats" the entire servo completely above the chassis. This design lets more of the chassis "flex" properly, and helps eliminate more chassis "tweak".

What does this all mean?

Mounting a low profile servo, side to side, saves a LOT of chassis space, and leaves more room for your ESC, receiver, and fans.

Mounting a low profile servo, side to side, using a floating servo mount, is currently the BEST way possible, to mount a servo.

I guess a similar comparison is this. In the old touring car days, all motors were oriented front to back, and this was fine, until it wasn't, and they realized that this induced an undesirable rolling torque movement, and they struggled to eliminate as much longitudinal rotation forces as possible. Thus the invention of belt driven cars and sideways oriented motors.

Same thing with servo mounting. Floating the servo, in a side to side orientation, is the current best way, and the XI Sport is compatible with this upgrade, but the 3racing floating servo mount has not been released yet.

Is there a specific reason that you do not like mounting your servo side to side instead of front to back?

You stated "IMHO the Servo mounting is junk.", but I'm sure if you popped a new Savox SC-1251MG or Spektrum S6070 low profile servo in there, you'd think it was awesome to save that much room on your chassis. Mounting a standard servo front to back really cramps up a touring car chassis layout.
I get what your saying, I guess what I meant by junk was that the servo post were not to my liking, I do not like how you only screw in one hole per side...

I do have the S6070 and the car is by all accounts phenomenal untill the rear gear diff exploded on me from a crash, car is still useable but the rear sounds like gears grinding, looks like all the diff oil came out.

I have to take it apart to find out the damage done and just when I finished it, haha no more street driving.

As far as floating servo mounts go I came across Team Magics and that is the one im hunting down for now, it is black and has four mount holes, very sweet.
I talked to amainhobbies and they are placing an order for it for me, I may have to modify the chassis hole a bit but otherwise it should go in fine, the TM one is more rectangular. Not sure when I will see that though....

Last edited by Arsenal2012; 08-05-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #87
Tech Addict

Quote:
Front & rear is the same
do you realy want the ball diff ? I had ball diffs in my Cyclone and find it less hassles with the gear diff.
I dont mind, ball or gear....

I just want ball diff incase I crash again I dont want the same thing to happen, I mean I cant even drive my car without it sounding like the gears are grinding and Im not sure whats wrong, all the diff oil came out so hopefully that is the only thing but from where and why, I now have to find out!

If I had a ball diff I wouldnt have to worry about oil, just less complication for me in the end especially if im going to be racing it will be easier to tune.

Does anyone know where I can get this ball diff...
http://www.3racing.hk/sakura-zero/en...atures_21.html
I cant find the name and when I search for it I cant find it, anyone?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #88
Tech Addict

Here is my car...

Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #89
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I dont mind, ball or gear....

I just want ball diff incase I crash again I dont want the same thing to happen, I mean I cant even drive my car without it sounding like the gears are grinding and Im not sure whats wrong, all the diff oil came out so hopefully that is the only thing but from where and why, I now have to find out!

If I had a ball diff I wouldnt have to worry about oil, just less complication for me in the end especially if im going to be racing it will be easier to tune.

Does anyone know where I can get this ball diff...
http://www.3racing.hk/sakura-zero/en...atures_21.html
I cant find the name and when I search for it I cant find it, anyone?
I have both, and I much prefer the low maintenance of the gear diff over the ball diff, I used to dislike gear diffs at first but after I worked out how to build them so they don't leak and are smooth to turn I come to like them. Even with the stick on diff covers, the ball diff starts to get gritty after a couple of race meets and then it's time to pull apart, clean and replace anything too worn out.

The only way you'll get a ball diff is by buying all the parts separately, even with 3 Racing's free shipping promo you'd still be looking at $45 to build a ball diff up.
For a little extra you can get 2 gear diffs, which you could have as handy spares.

Oh, and just to make things fun, the little plastic "cushions" that go with that ball diff are smaller than the size that 3 Racing use now, and are even harder to find.

Cheers
Rob.
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #90
Tech Adept

Looking at it.Maybe a tamiya 416 or similar diff might fit. A big maybe