Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree6Likes

Old 04-30-2015, 05:39 AM   #706
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason w View Post
The xi would be a good drift car if you change the tires and shock settings and to go back to road racing wouldn't be to hard. It's definitely a good platform to do both with.
Thanks. Can the ride height be adjusted high enough so that I can take it through a loose dirt field, like a baseball field?
drewbagel423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:40 AM   #707
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
I have a new steel gear diff coming for the rear diff. Should i change the gear ratio in the diff im going to put in the front?
I am not sure. I use the 3Racing diffs. The number of teeth on the diff is the same. The internal ratio is the same as the spool. It made the car easier to drive for me. Other racers like the spool in the front.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:44 AM   #708
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbagel423 View Post
Thanks. Can the ride height be adjusted high enough so that I can take it through a loose dirt field, like a baseball field?
Yeah. I do believe you can adjust it up enough and put some rally tires on it. it will do alot well but it really is a animal on the road.
jason w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:45 AM   #709
Tech Addict

Quote:
Yeah. I do believe you can adjust it up enough and put some rally tires on it. it will do alot well but it really is a animal on the road.
Hmm at first I was leaning towards a TT02. Now I'm kinda thinking a TC4 or the XI.

Are there any essential mods that need to be done right away? For instance the TT02 needs bearings and oil shocks.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:46 AM   #710
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD View Post
I am not sure. I use the 3Racing diffs. The number of teeth on the diff is the same. The internal ratio is the same as the spool. It made the car easier to drive for me. Other racers like the spool in the front.
I was talking about the bevel and spider gear inside of the diff. I have no problem going 1 to 1.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #711
Tech Adept

Quote:
Hmm at first I was leaning towards a TT02. Now I'm kinda thinking a TC4 or the XI.

Are there any essential mods that need to be done right away? For instance the TT02 needs bearings and oil shocks.
Well i would suggest a aluminum gear adapter and a second gear diff to put in place of the front spool since you want it to do a little bit of everything.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:58 AM   #712
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
I was talking about the bevel and spider gear inside of the diff. I have no problem going 1 to 1.
No, I don't think you need to change them.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:58 AM   #713
Tech Addict

Quote:
Well i would suggest a aluminum gear adapter and a second gear diff to put in place of the front spool since you want it to do a little bit of everything.
Something like this? It says it's for the Zero so I don't know if it will fit.
http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-alumin...=595_1419_1467

And for the 2nd gear diff, would I just buy the same one that's in the car already?
Old 04-30-2015, 06:59 AM   #714
Tech Adept

Quote:
Something like this? It says it's for the Zero so I don't know if it will fit.
http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-alumin...=595_1419_1467

And for the 2nd gear diff, would I just buy the same one that's in the car already?
Nah the part number is sak-xs304. And for the diffentials the rear diff will work for the front
Old 04-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #715
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Instead of a front one way. Would a rear gear diff fit for the front? Still have brakes but yet should carry more corner speed.
You will actually carry less corner speed with a standard rear diff in front, which has 2K oil. However, it will feel easier to drive and the diff will act as a shock absorber when you hit stuff (durability).
Old 04-30-2015, 07:26 AM   #716
Tech Master

Quote:
I have a new steel gear diff coming for the rear diff. Should i change the gear ratio in the diff im going to put in the front?
I would recommend to keep the diff at 38 teeth. It keeps your internal ratio at a simple 2.0.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:41 AM   #717
Tech Master

Quote:
The budget's a little tight so I'm trying to find something that can do a little of everything.
It would be ideal to get a specific car for each purpose. But like you said, budget is tight.

If you want an all purpose car and the recommended parts, here is what I recommend.

- rally tires
- rally body
- drift tires
- drift body
- onroad tires
- onroad body
- body posts
- kimbrough servo saver

Pretty simple, as it seems your intention isn't to race the vehicle, but just to have some good old fun.

You're going to break stuff (we all do). When that time comes, you will need:
- arms
- hubs
- belts
- knuckles

To save yourself a bit of a headache, just buy a pair of xi kits. It will still be cheaper than a TC4 and a TT02.

As the sakura is essentially a clone of TRF and Xray cars, you're getting a modern chassis, as opposed to a chassis that is limited by design (tt02) and a chassis that is limited by age (the TC4 was released over 12 years ago).

Its like going to buy a computer, and deciding between a Coleco, a pentium III, and a new modern notebook.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #718
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by (0000000000) View Post
It would be ideal to get a specific car for each purpose. But like you said, budget is tight.

If you want an all purpose car and the recommended parts, here is what I recommend.

- rally tires
- rally body
- drift tires
- drift body
- onroad tires
- onroad body
- body posts
- kimbrough servo saver

Pretty simple, as it seems your intention isn't to race the vehicle, but just to have some good old fun.

- arms
- hubs
- belts
- knuckles

To save yourself a bit of a headache, just buy a pair of xi kits. It will still be cheaper than a TC4 and a TT02.

As the sakura is essentially a clone of TRF and Xray cars, you're getting a modern chassis, as opposed to a chassis that is limited by design (tt02) and a chassis that is limited by age (the TC4 was released over 12 years ago).

Its like going to buy a computer, and deciding between a Coleco, a pentium III, and a new modern notebook.
If you really want to deck it out and make it almost bullet proof get the yeah racing aluminum performance upgrade.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #719
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by (0000000000) View Post

- rally tires
- rally body
- drift tires
- drift body
- onroad tires
- onroad body
- body posts
- kimbrough servo saver

- arms
- hubs
- belts
- knuckles

Any reason I couldn't use the same body for onroad & drift?

A friend of mine is saying the TC4 might be better because it's composite vs the XI which is plastic.

What's the best place to buy an XI in the US? I've found a TC4 kit for $150 shipped from Tower, while the cheapest I see the XI is ~$126 shipped from Integy.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #720
Tech Adept

Order it from amzon or rcmart 99 shiped to your door with in two weeks