R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #421
Tech Rookie

Default 64 pitch

Quick question, I am new to brushless motors and was wondering if the following is true:
(Quoted from a hobby shop staffer):

"If you are running 17.5 motor, you need to change the spur and pinion to 64pitch. 48pitch is too big to make the right gearing.

64pitch 96t spur and 64pitch 48t pinion will give you the gearing at 4.00, which is good to start.

Internal gear ration of XI is 2.0

96 / 48 * 2 = 4.00 (Spur size / pinion size * internal gear ratio)"

Is this true ? And will the 64 pitch set up work with the car with pulley system, etc?

What motor size was the 48 pitch gearing set up for?

Thanks for your help. I am switching from Tamiya items and am not used to so many choices. Best
W
Willis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #422
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis99 View Post
Quick question, I am new to brushless motors and was wondering if the following is true:

"If you are running 17.5 motor, you need to change the spur and pinion to 64pitch. 48pitch is too big to make the right gearing.

64pitch 96t spur and 64pitch 48t pinion will give you the gearing at 4.00, which is good to start.

Is this true ? And will the 64 pitch set up work with the car with pulley system, etc?

W
Hey bud,

Yes this is true, I too would personally recommend you use 64 pitch gears as it's easier to achieve the specific gear ratio's some of us are after. The advice you were given is correct, and yes the gears will fit. You can buy them directly from 3racing which are guaranteed to fit.

The stock spur gear can be used for various different motors, I'd say the lowest gear ratio you could achieve would be 5.3 FDR , which can be used for boosted classes ect.

Here's everything you should need

http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=4511
http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=4555

Yokomo BD7 2016
Powered by Muchmore
Futaba 4PX
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #423
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks Billy, appreciate the reply and advice, I am looking forward to putting the kit together in a couple of weeks, I'll grab the parts from a source in the USA. What a kind forum!

Sas Efxharisto!
Willis99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #424
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis99 View Post

Thanks for your help. I am switching from Tamiya items and am not used to so many choices. Best
W
Well, it's mostly true. You do NOT need to use 64 pitch to get the correct gear ratio. Several companies (3racing, Integy, Robinson) make 48 pitch pinions with up to 41 teeth (Robinson goes to 47T but it's hard to get it installed in most cars). Spur gears are available with 60 or 55T, so getting a 4:1 FDR is no problem.

64 pitch gives you finer adjustments, but they are more fragile. If you're racing outdoors, 48 pitch might be a better choice.
Kevin Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #425
Tech Apprentice

Just wondering if the zero s sway bars and kit will fit on xi sport? I cant seem to find a definite answer about this. Thanks in advance..

I have the xi sport with a thunder power 21.5 and high torque rotor. 64 pitch geared to 3.25. Stock kit except for aluminum bulkheads and aluminum steering setup. It runs right up there with the high dollar cars.

Anyway thanks
ttsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #426
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsquirrel View Post
Just wondering if the zero s sway bars and kit will fit on xi sport? I cant seem to find a definite answer about this. Thanks in advance..

I have the xi sport with a thunder power 21.5 and high torque rotor. 64 pitch geared to 3.25. Stock kit except for aluminum bulkheads and aluminum steering setup. It runs right up there with the high dollar cars.

Anyway thanks
Unfortunately the Sakura Zero swaybars themselves will not fit in the XI sport or Ultimate chassis. You'll have to buy the upgraded kit, where the swaybars are the same front and rear:

http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=6586

Here I've found the bars, but I couldn't find the mounts

Yokomo BD7 2016