R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #286
Tech Rookie

Thanks, I thought about picking up that full set of springs. It seems most in most of the pictures of various setups people have the collar all the way at the top of the shock body, even the press photos.

Is anyone using an XI Sport for VTA? If so, what's your ride hieght?
ZeeFlyingBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #287
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am using the 3 racing spring set, plus a pair of 7.5 springs (set only goes as soft as 6.5).

No problem making 5mm ride height in VTA.

What does your droop settings look like?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #288
Tech Apprentice

I just got my X1 Sport raced it last Saturday TQ and won at Rc Madness love the car.
carl jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #289
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by (0000000000) View Post
I am using the 3 racing spring set, plus a pair of 7.5 springs (set only goes as soft as 6.5).

No problem making 5mm ride height in VTA.

What does your droop settings look like?
I believe I'm at 3mm, which I think is a little high...are your "collars" all the way at the top of the shock body? I'll can snap some pics tomorrow ( not around the car right now ). If you down to 5 using "stock" springs ( i believe the set is the same 24/25mm as the kit springs ) I must be have something messed up.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #290
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeFlyingBrick View Post
I believe I'm at 3mm, which I think is a little high...are your "collars" all the way at the top of the shock body? I'll can snap some pics tomorrow ( not around the car right now ). If you down to 5 using "stock" springs ( i believe the set is the same 24/25mm as the kit springs ) I must be have something messed up.
I still can't seem to make this work, very confused. I'm stuck at about 7.5mm ride height in the back and the front is stuck at about 6...with the stock springs.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #291
Tech Fanatic

You shouldn't have a problem making 5mm with stock springs.

Something may have been built incorrectly.

How far into the shaft did you screw your shock ball ends? They should be screwed in all the way.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #292
Tech Addict

Decided to build a XI Sport, been racing for many years with AE but time to try something different, how can you say no to a price like this
Thinking VTA or USGT, will decide when its built.

Drilled out the shock caps and used RSD bladders and orings. Wanted to use RSD pistons but 3R uses a smaller then standard piston

Used some shims between piston and e-clip to eliminate the piston play on the shaft.

A little Green Slime goes a long way

My shock building jig
Attached Thumbnails
3 Racing Sakura XI Sport-dscn5387.jpg   3 Racing Sakura XI Sport-dscn5390.jpg   3 Racing Sakura XI Sport-dscn5393.jpg   3 Racing Sakura XI Sport-dscn5395.jpg   3 Racing Sakura XI Sport-dscn5399.jpg  

Check it out >>> www.RaceVTA.com <<<
moparSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:09 PM   #293
Tech Addict

Got most of the chassis built, happy with the build so far.
Attached Thumbnails
3 Racing Sakura XI Sport-dscn5401.jpg  

Old 04-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #294
Tech Addict

Quote:
My new built xi sits at 5.5mm ride height without any electronics installed with the stock springs and the shock collars all the way up, 4mm droop. 3rd hole in on top and outside hole on the arm.

Attached Thumbnails
3 Racing Sakura XI Sport-dscn5403.jpg  

Old 04-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #295
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hi guys, I recently bought 2 use Sakura XI and one of them is giving me an issue and I have no idea what it could be. When I turn about 35% or more left/right the whole car shakes and the belt goes crazy...the other one does not do it with the same exact wheel/tire so I don't think that's the issue. I have replace the swing shaft D44 and still the same issue. It only does it when the wheel are attached and I have disconnect it from the servo arm..I have also loose and tighten the belt and test it one wheel at time. It does not matter which wheel I turn...here is a video, thank you for the help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/31js9218fd...%20turning.mp4
bluem6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:35 PM   #296
Tech Fanatic

Belt seems to be really loose and flappy.

- check to see if both sides of the diff/spool are mounted in identical positions on bulkhead.
- check to see if steering linkage is binding with belt during turns
- are you running the stock spool? If so, check to make sure it was built correctly.
- might have to shim the dif/spool to sit correctly.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #297
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluem6 View Post
Hi guys, I recently bought 2 use Sakura XI and one of them is giving me an issue and I have no idea what it could be. When I turn about 35% or more left/right the whole car shakes and the belt goes crazy...the other one does not do it with the same exact wheel/tire so I don't think that's the issue. I have replace the swing shaft D44 and still the same issue. It only does it when the wheel are attached and I have disconnect it from the servo arm..I have also loose and tighten the belt and test it one wheel at time. It does not matter which wheel I turn...here is a video, thank you for the help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/31js9218fd...%20turning.mp4
is your front droop the same on both cars ??

Old 05-02-2014, 09:48 AM   #298
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparSRT View Post
My new built xi sits at 5.5mm ride height without any electronics installed with the stock springs and the shock collars all the way up, 4mm droop. 3rd hole in on top and outside hole on the arm.

Thanks for all the feedback on this guys....

So I'm about the same as the picture for my TC setup ( I'm running two XI sports...VTA and TC ). Because of the lower tire profile on the TC, I can get about the same ride height using stock springs as shown in the picture. With VTA, the tires have such a higher profile ( ie. I believe they have a larger overall diameter, but come to think of it I haven't actually measured ) that I can't get below about 8mm.

I actually "cut" some old springs down a couple mm, and that worked perfectly and got me down as low as I could want to go and I also grabbed some of the X-RAY 4S springs in 2.3 and 2.5. The xray springs measure 20mm in length, so they buy me the extra leeway as well. The 2.3 are pretty soft as well which is great for VTA and the track ( parking lot ) we're using. I'll try to snap some pics as I setup for racing on Sat.

Again, thanks for all the feedback. I just started racing and paying attention to setup several weeks ago so this is really great.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:53 AM   #299
Tech Rookie

I'm not an expert, but I recently noticed a similar problem closer to "full lock" then your seeing...probably about 60% or full throw and above. I figured it was the solid front axle combined with the CV joints ( alot of people seem to recommend the 3 racing SSK joints to remedy but I'm not 100% that this is the actual problem ).
Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #300
Tech Addict

Quote:
...With VTA, the tires have such a higher profile ( ie. I believe they have a larger overall diameter, but come to think of it I haven't actually measured ) that I can't get below about 8mm...
I think your doing something wrong, for vta with a car weighing around 1550g you should easily be below 5mm right height with the collars all the way up. If your stuck at 8mm then there is something wrong, find out what before cuting or using 20mm springs. My VTA tires are at 67mm, jaco blues are 62mm ... so thats a 2.5mm ride height difference at most.

With vta tires, battery, motor and servo mine sits at 5.5mm but still needs at least 350g of equipment and lead.

Attached Thumbnails
3 Racing Sakura XI Sport-dscn5453.jpg