R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #271
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyzhang View Post
There are 2 concerns before I'm set on buying the ultimate.

1. Is the gear diff improved from the XI? I think the XI diff is very poorly produced and the internal drag is unacceptable. It is absolutely horrible compared to Tamiya's and I've fixed it by going to tamiya 416/ 417 gear diff and sanded down to reduce width a little, and switch to 37 pulley up front. If the new diff is not decent, I don't think there is another brand gear diff to replace that 40 tooth pulley.

2. Does the ultimate accept XI short shock tower? Do they have the same hole patter? I would like to have the ability to fit my low profile tamiya bodies and experience says the low profile tower will work. I don't want to lose that ability.

The all four of the diffs seem fine on both my XI's. The one you saw might have been built wrong.

Typically, the low profile Tamiya bodies will not work without a IFS chassis. If you try it out though, please let us know how it works out.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 AM   #272
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by (0000000000) View Post
The all four of the diffs seem fine on both my XI's. The one you saw might have been built wrong.

Typically, the low profile Tamiya bodies will not work without a IFS chassis. If you try it out though, please let us know how it works out.
Sorry I need to clarify I had the carbon and aluminum XI not the XI sports. Tamiya low profile bodies will work with XI with just a bit of shock tower grinding. 2007 nsx, Axio Corolla, March go go go will all work without problem. The XI 38T v2 gear diffs are not smooth at all and I'm a decent wrench I would say. The Tamiya diff is simply on another level and I think Xray, Associated, etc all have very good diffs. I know 3 racing went to a new diff and if it is any good, and the low profile shock tower fits. I'll buy one as my next car.
tobyzhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:20 AM   #273
Tech Initiate

Hey (0000000), or anyone else who can help...I read a few pages back that you used T4 C-hubs on your XI Sport. Did you have to do any modifications or were they a direct fit? Are they still holding up well to crashes? Any other T4 parts that fit the XI Sport, such as knuckles, rear hubs/uprights, etc? A buddy and I are new to TC and our first time out to the local carpet track we both broke a C-hub and knuckle on our cars. Obviously we need a lot more practice to cut down on the chance of breakage (lol), but I'm willing to give the T4 parts a try if they hold up better so I don't have to keep buying a bunch of replacement XI Sport parts.

Also, someone had mentioned boiling the stock parts. How has that been working out?
Associated SC5M
JPM398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #274
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM398 View Post
Hey (0000000), or anyone else who can help...I read a few pages back that you used T4 C-hubs on your XI Sport. Did you have to do any modifications or were they a direct fit? Are they still holding up well to crashes? Any other T4 parts that fit the XI Sport, such as knuckles, rear hubs/uprights, etc? A buddy and I are new to TC and our first time out to the local carpet track we both broke a C-hub and knuckle on our cars. Obviously we need a lot more practice to cut down on the chance of breakage (lol), but I'm willing to give the T4 parts a try if they hold up better so I don't have to keep buying a bunch of replacement XI Sport parts.

Also, someone had mentioned boiling the stock parts. How has that been working out?
Xray T4 C-hubs are a direct bolt on. Haven't had any issues since replacing them.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #275
Tech Initiate

Hi guys, two fast questions:
really has this car differential problems? If yes, what type of issues ?
can it handle a 4.5T? If not, what upgrades do I need?
maRRRco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #276
Tech Fanatic

Miholc seems to be doing fine with a 4.5. I've dropped a 10.5 into one of mine and had no diff issues. People I know who run this car, have had no diff issues.

Gear diffs are tried tested and true. People use the 3racing and SpecR diffs as replacements in their Tamiya and xrays. If there is something wrong with the diff, it was probably built incorrectly.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #277
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Xray T4 C-hubs are a direct bolt on. Haven't had any issues since replacing them.
Thanks! I'm going to give the T4 hubs a try.
Associated SC5M
JPM398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:13 AM   #278
Tech Fanatic

One pair of Xray hubs is the equivalent in price to roughly three or four pairs of Sakura hubs. So there is definitely some compromise.

I hit stuff less often, now that I have a good feel for the car. Plus reverting back to the original xi sport bumper really helped too.

Going forward, I'll be using my Sakura c hubs,as its hard to justify the cost of Xray hubs that are worth 1/4 of the entire kit.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:04 AM   #279
MD
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I don't know if they are any better, but you can get the graphite "C" hubs.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #280
Tech Rookie

Whats the largest pinion I can run on stock 85T spur?
I am going to run a castle 3800KV motor

What would be the ideal spur/pinion combination for nice speed runs with that motor?
Checkdalevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:36 AM   #281
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
....Plus reverting back to the original xi sport bumper really helped too......
Why did you revery back to the XI Sport bumper?

I went with the Tamiya bumper, it is so much better, thanks for that advice
tobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:12 AM   #282
Tech Fanatic

I had the tamiya bumper on originally.

I am finding that the stock Sakura xi bumper allows me to deflect more front hits, due to how long it is.

I believe the use of Xray and tamiya bumpers was necessary on the Sakura zero, because the original stock bumper in that kit was total junk. Because the new xi bumper seems to have corrected the issues, getting an aftermarket bumper is not as high of a priority.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:22 AM   #283
Tech Rookie

I built my xi sport tonight. Instructions were pretty good except for the turn buckles.
It would be nice if the example in the instructions were to scale like tamiya.

FYI... The biggest pinion on the stock spur is 33t. This was asked over and over. No one ever gave answer.

Took it out for a test spin and wow

I already feel like it's better then my tb-03 which is pretty hopped up
Checkdalevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #284
Tech Rookie

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on springs....I'm running two XI sports, one in 17.5 touring and the other in VTA.

Using 25mm springs ( kit springs are 25 as are the associated greens and a few others I've been using ) I'm having trouble getting the ride height I want, especially on the VTA with it's larger tire diameter.

For the touring setup, I have the collars *all* the way up and I'm just barely getting a ride height of about 6mm. With the VTA setup, I also have the collars all the way up and am looking at almost a full cm.

Does it sound like I'm doing something wrong...I believe the shocks are built out correctly? I'm thinking I need shorter springs, maybe 21mm ( which seems semi-common )? Anyone have any recommendations? Looking for soft to really soft ( mostly parking lot racing )...especially for the VTA with it's lighter grip.

Thanks!
ZeeFlyingBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #285
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeFlyingBrick View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on springs....I'm running two XI sports, one in 17.5 touring and the other in VTA.

Using 25mm springs ( kit springs are 25 as are the associated greens and a few others I've been using ) I'm having trouble getting the ride height I want, especially on the VTA with it's larger tire diameter.

For the touring setup, I have the collars *all* the way up and I'm just barely getting a ride height of about 6mm. With the VTA setup, I also have the collars all the way up and am looking at almost a full cm.

Does it sound like I'm doing something wrong...I believe the shocks are built out correctly? I'm thinking I need shorter springs, maybe 21mm ( which seems semi-common )? Anyone have any recommendations? Looking for soft to really soft ( mostly parking lot racing )...especially for the VTA with it's lighter grip.

Thanks!
The sakura spring kit is 24mm you might have some luck with that.
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote