Wiki Posts
Search

The future of the electric touring cars inspired by the past

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 04:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default The future of the electric touring cars inspired by the past

Is it my idea or touring cars nowadays have become:

-Impossibly demanding in tire terms for mere mortals (please count in that we have to practice also apart from the events)

-Extremely sensitive to drive if something is not right , even a small parameter , the car is not just slower, it is frustrating to drive (even Rheinards and Matsakuras pulling into the pits WTF?)

-Stagnant technologically/not versatile to cause several chassis layuts to work-most cars are almost the same apart from the shock set up of the Awesomatix. I know people will start saying the devil is in the details but they are all very very similar unlike electric off road where several layouts work making it much more interesting

-A class where money predominantly rules the game.Got no 400-500 euros for tires for a big event - you are out - talent doesnt go into play. That doesnt mean that people driving them are not talented, but i just cringe in front of the cost calculations of a normal non sponsored driver has to make to do a complete seasons of races, practice and some ETS events or a Euro for example.... People we are in the middle of a very bad financially period for the whole world! Are we realistic? Do we enjoy racing only with people of certain class and privilege that can afford it? And what about the others? A lot of us have families also...

Why not go back to the wide touring car layout that started it all anyway?

- Wider cars = much more lateral grip available /much less sensitive to tires & roll center migration

- Wider cars = more stable and easy to drive for the non skilled enough, more bumper to bumper racing with less sensitivity to small contact

- Someone could even use an electric buggy converted , much more versatile, possibly many more people would like to try it

- Foam tires - any width desired -max width that of a rear 2wd buggy rim
Number of tires that can be used in an event strictly controlled. Due to this tire freedom it will be much easier for an FF or RR chassis to be competitive with 4wd .More available grip - up to the driver to do what they want with it

I would love to hear your views in a polite and non high-eyebrowed - sponsor partial way