Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Radio Should I get new to touring cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

MT4 for me. Telemetry is nice, I use it. Also you feel very connected with the car. Very light at 450+ grams.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
What does it do (that you actually use) that the Futaba 4PL does not do?
Multi-point steering and throttle curves.

In regard to latency, I can't tell a difference from my 4PKS-R, M12, 4PL, EX-10 or pretty much any other radio for that matter. I feel that these latency numbers are nothing more than a marketing gimmick. It essentially creates a brand hierarchy based on humanly imperceptible nonsense.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Best bet is to try and hold the options and see what feels good to you. As pretty much every brand name radio today has all the bells and gadgets along with the reliability you need for RC (TC or otherwise), ergonomics and comfort are the true difference.
Just my 2 cents.
This, go hold them, see how they feel in your hands, can you brake comfortably, are the dual rate buttons in the right place to tune steering on the fly in race, do you have big clown hands and need different grips, or tiny midget hands that cannot reach everything. These are the things you need to sort out as it will spend 100's of hours in your hands.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Pulpetti - If you are looking in the $250 price range either the 4PL or MT-4 will work great. Expect to see a new 4PLS from Futaba soon though.

There is a noticeable difference in speed between the 4PL and 4PKRS IMO.

Originally Posted by MUDVAYNE
If you're going to spend that kind of money for a Futaba, go and get the KO Propo K.I.Y. I have one and love it!
4PL ~ $250
KO Propo K.I.Y. ~ $549

I don't think those are even comparable in price.

IMO the KO is awkward and unbalanced. Hence the reason they sell weights to add to the radio just to balance it. They should have spent more time in the design stages instead of trying to come up with the ugliest radio available.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have a 4PL and it has been great for me. Before the 4PL, I had a Spektrum DX3.0. Recently, a friend got the MT-4. After getting a chance to hold it, I like the feel better than the 4PL.

Get your hands on as many as you can before you buy. Comfort is important.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The Rest position on the POT for the wheel has skipped and when I turn right its only a quarter of a turn before i hit the stop and full range on the left. when I look at the exp screen It shows that its quarter to the right at rest

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
I have a hobby king, and I been using the heck out of it and not had a prob, what went wrong with yours??
Old 04-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Sorry, didn't mean to go nuts on my soap box. Its all good!
No Worries man! We all get fired up sometime when we are passionate about something. The important part here is that we provide objective feedback for new buyers to use on their own purchases.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wow Thanks guys for all the comments my LHS only stock Futaba 4PKS. I live in AUS in Adelaide and its hard to find these radio's. Most stock spektrum and by the sounds of it i should stay away from them. I Appreciate all the help Ill let you all know what I decided.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Odin544
Pulpetti - If you are looking in the $250 price range either the 4PL or MT-4 will work great. Expect to see a new 4PLS from Futaba soon though.

There is a noticeable difference in speed between the 4PL and 4PKRS IMO.

4PL ~ $250
KO Propo K.I.Y. ~ $549

I don't think those are even comparable in price.

IMO the KO is awkward and unbalanced. Hence the reason they sell weights to add to the radio just to balance it. They should have spent more time in the design stages instead of trying to come up with the ugliest radio available.
This radio looks amazing I think Ill wait for this one if it's not too expensive, Thanks for the heads up
Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spunkysandoval
When I decided to upgrade from my spektrum DX3r Pro it was because I was able to tell the difference in controling my car when I used a friends MT4 which has a faster response time than the DX3R pro (5.5ms as claimed by Spektrum). This was in offroad racing where vehicle control involves alot of control input from the driver to control the attitude of the vehicle over the dynamic surfaces variations that are found in offroad racing.
It's funny the things you notice, I never got used to the feel in hand of the DX3R-Pro, a fair few guys around me had the MT4, first time I picked one up it felt spot on, so I changed brands and got one purely because of comfort, then after using it felt it was faster and more responsive, it's a very good radio for the price.

Note if you want one in Australia, try Walter RC, or see if you local store can get one in.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

MT4 for me. It's my radio of choice. Has every feature I need and is at a great price point. Lightweight and easy to use.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
Both work great!
Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Tech Master

I've found Sanwas/Airtronics are much better for large-handed users. That only would be a reason to choose one if I had the cash to do so. I loved the 2.4Ghz KO that looked like a Mars, and considered buying it but after wrapping my fingers around one I understood this was not going to happen.

As for the latency, I've heard and read of several people who mysteriously got better in both contsistency and laptimes, after switching from a FM radio with 2.4GHz module to a 2.4GHz radio.

One of the best drivers 1/12 drivers I've met told me once that switching from one to the other he actually found himself removing much of the electronics aides he previously had to make his car driveable (servo speed, expo, etc).

Bottom line: speed does matter at least to some extent; however it's possible that under 10, or 5, or 3ms, it doesn't make any difference.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A frequency radio can match the latency of the M12. The frequency radios from 10 years ago have 90% of the bells and whistles of the modern ones. Something to consider.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:56 AM
Tech Regular

been using the 4pl for the last 2 years, great radio! have been racing for 20years and dont see the need for the high end radios, dont need all the functions.

switched to a mt4 now as i like the feeling a little better in the radio, the menus are a little better and there are alot more recievers to choose from. there is also a drop down to it from grid rc if you want that

both radios are good, just choose the one that feels best in your hand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.