R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Which of these would you choose? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/725216-these-would-you-choose.html)

danielfromnz 04-25-2013 10:07 PM

Which of these would you choose?

I need your help!

I'm about to upgrade by broken Brushed motor in my stock tt01. I use it for drifting.

I've brought from RCMart before and I'm going to buy an engine combo from them. There are so many opinions on how many turns I'll need and what ESC is good.

If you've got a minute. Could you look at RCMarts website and check out their Combo » Motor / ESC section and let me know which you'd buy.

Primary use: racing around car parks with friends.

hyujmn 04-25-2013 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by danielfromnz (Post 12087754)
I need your help!

I'm about to upgrade by broken Brushed motor in my stock tt01. I use it for drifting.

I've brought from RCMart before and I'm going to buy an engine combo from them. There are so many opinions on how many turns I'll need and what ESC is good.

If you've got a minute. Could you look at RCMarts website and check out their Combo » Motor / ESC section and let me know which you'd buy.

Primary use: racing around car parks with friends.

http://www.rcmart.com/reventon-brush...Path=1100_1252

This is a pretty good deal on a brushless ESC and a 17.5 motor.

danielfromnz 04-25-2013 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by hyujmn (Post 12087801)

This is a pretty good deal on a brushless ESC and a 17.5 motor.

Cool. So you'd recommend a 17.5T engine. Do you know if it will have more or less speed than the Tamiya TZ engine I currently have? I found the TZ a little slow.

RogerDaShrubber 04-25-2013 11:00 PM

Hobbywing 10.5T combo, what most drifters use. This is about 2 times more powerful than your current brushed setup, it is $90 and is just about everything you need.

http://www.rcmart.com/cb0584-p-35726...Path=1100_1252

danielfromnz 04-25-2013 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber (Post 12087832)
Hobbywing 10.5T combo, what most drifters use. This is about 2 times more powerful than your current brushed setup, it is $90 and is just about everything you need.

"Just about everything" what else might I need?

I have a Hobby King HKGT2R receiver.
Will it run on a on a 5000mAh NiMH battery ok?

RogerDaShrubber 04-25-2013 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by danielfromnz (Post 12087855)
"Just about everything" what else might I need?

I have a Hobby King HKGT2R receiver.
Will it run on a on a 5000mAh NiMH battery ok?

You will need A battery connector and a solder iron to connect the wires up, this is standard on all brushless systems, yes it will run on a NiMh you will just have to use the program card to turn off the lipo cut off value. Or better yet, just upgrade to Lipo bateries and lipo charger at the same time.

danielfromnz 05-04-2013 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber (Post 12087883)
You will need A battery connector and a solder iron to connect the wires up, this is standard on all brushless systems, yes it will run on a NiMh you will just have to use the program card to turn off the lipo cut off value. Or better yet, just upgrade to Lipo bateries and lipo charger at the same time.

Hey guys,

I've got my new motor & ESC in the mail today. Pretty excited to get it going. Alas, after installation the motor clicks, chirps & jitters but doesn't run when i pull the trigger. It doesn't sound happy at all. Out of the car the motor spins but not very fast.

I went with the 10.5t & Hobbywing ESC.

The motor is sensored and the ESC is sensorless. Should it still run? I'm running a NiMh battery.

Any advice?

Dan

hyujmn 05-04-2013 07:22 AM

You should've gone with what I told you to get. That 80a ESC is meant for Off-Road vehicles and running 3s+ Lipos.

danielfromnz 05-04-2013 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by hyujmn (Post 12115784)
You should've gone with what I told you to get. That 80a ESC is meant for Off-Road vehicles and running 3s+ Lipos.

Damn. The other guy said that the 80a combo was what most Drifters use.

Any way to get it to work or do I need more gear?

Dan

hyujmn 05-04-2013 03:29 PM

Not really. You could always try and get a 3s lipo but that is a ton of power.

goots 05-04-2013 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by danielfromnz (Post 12116614)
Damn. The other guy said that the 80a combo was what most Drifters use.

Any way to get it to work or do I need more gear?

Dan

you're motor gearing and/or esc settings are off. I suggest you read the manual thoroughly and do your own testing on gearing

danielfromnz 05-04-2013 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by goots (Post 12116924)
you're motor gearing and/or esc settings are off. I suggest you read the manual thoroughly and do your own testing on gearing

Cool - I'll run through all the ESC settings today.

Qatmix 05-05-2013 12:21 AM

It will likely be your nicads. Charge them before testing. If they are old they just won't have the juice needed. If you need to replace it get one good lipo (hobbyking hard pack turnigy 5800) and it will be good.

The TT01 gearing is quite limited, so I doubt it's that.

danielfromnz 05-05-2013 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Qatmix (Post 12117853)
It will likely be your nicads. Charge them before testing. If they are old they just won't have the juice needed. If you need to replace it get one good lipo (hobbyking hard pack turnigy 5800) and it will be good.

The TT01 gearing is quite limited, so I doubt it's that.

It might be, I went around to a friends and tried his 2cell Lipo today and no luck. Fingers crossed it's the ESC settings (I'll have a play with them soon). A 2 cell lipo should have worked if it was the battery right?

DWS

fordsam 05-05-2013 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by danielfromnz (Post 12115497)
Hey guys,

The motor is sensored and the ESC is sensorless. Should it still run? I'm running a NiMh battery.

Any advice?

Dan

Hi, If what you have written here is correct then you will need to change the motor or the esc.

most sensored motors wont run on a sensorless esc