Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Bringing back the Concourse Competition >

Bringing back the Concourse Competition

Bringing back the Concourse Competition

Old 10-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Ah, ok so you didnt have to run the interior with it?
That's right, the interior did not have to run on the track. Only the body had to be used during one race.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Thanks Proffesor. That is my spare Serpent Eryx 2.0 chassis. I ran the body during my 3rd qualifier on my Serpent Eryx 3.0 for it to count. You see there were no posted rules that said you must display your concourse body on a running chassis. There is a rule that says you must run your concourse body at least 1 lap during a race.
I never thought to setup a spare chassis for a concourse body. It obviously would allow someone to do more with the interior.

Where did you get the interior that you used?
Old 10-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For TCS races, you have to race the body entered in concourse
+1

I think this is a great class and one that should definitely have a come back. BUT the rules need to be re-written to avoid creating entries that are not actually driveable.

These are three rules I think should be a must for a concourse class and for entries to qualify:

1) Car must be legal to race in a class (other than concourse class), and must race in that class using the chassis and body as entered in concourse class.

2) You must have created the concourse entry yourself (no way of verifying this, but would rely on the honor system). -just like motor voodoo, there will be cheaters, but you'll have to live with yourself.

3) Cars are to be judged on various points related to creativity, realisticness, and craftsmanship all while being a viable race entrant.

------
Otherwise if it is a model building contest then I personally am not interested as these are two different hobbies and don't translate well. What is the point of building a "radio controlled car" that doesn't actually run.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I never thought to setup a spare chassis for a concourse body. It obviously would allow someone to do more with the interior.

Where did you get the interior that you used?
The interior came out of an Axial Wraith Crawler. I had to make some mods for it to fit inside the Audi R8. The driver figure is a Tamiya #54416 RC 4x4 Vehicle Driver Figure with a F1 driver helmet from my Ferrari F60 kit.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

WWJD34,

your entry looks beautiful,

yet it doesn't meet the ROAR rules, -did this competition not follow ROAR rules?
Not trying to sound snappy just genuinely curious.

(from ROAR rules)
13.3.3: Vehicles entered in this category must be operational, but do not have to be raced. Operational is defined as being able to operate under its own power and in full control from the transmitter, without direct connection or outside aid.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

I like what we do here, split the judging for pro vs individual entries. I also don't think that a non functional car should be allowed to be entered/win, you may have followed the rules with your IIC entry but it just seems bogus to have a model win an RC contest.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

The IIC Concourse Rules were pretty much left open except for the requirement that the body must be raced at least one time. I got the idea for a non-functioning display chassis from the winner of the 2005 HPI Challenge Concourse held in Austin, Texas. He had a fully detailed interior for a Dodge Stratus including a working stereo system, a driver figure with moving arms and head, windshield wipers that moved, even a Nitrous Bottle system with blinking LEDS. My IIC entry pales in comparison to the 2005 HPI Challenge Concourse winner.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

e1Rc, the IIC Concourse Rules did not follow the ROAR rules.

Last edited by wwddww34; 10-21-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Here are some better pics taken by Robert Dirla of all the Concourse Competition entries at the 2014 IIC:

This last pic shows the 3 finalists for the "Spec GT" class and the winner of the F1 class, the HSBC Jaguar F1.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

The audi and camaro seemed to be popular choices.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
non-functioning display chassis
Being a bit of a purist I believe that concourse cars should be required to run a heat race, not just the body, but as they are displayed....otherwise it's just a beauty contest for plastic surgeons, which in a way... it is. ...

It would also be nice to class the entrants in a 'paint' and 'decal' category to make special recognition of the expertise it takes to paint in the details.

BTW, the car looks great, no doubt.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OttoKrosse
Being a bit of a purist I believe that concourse cars should be required to run a heat race, not just the body, but as they are displayed....otherwise it's just a beauty contest for plastic surgeons, which in a way... it is. ...

It would also be nice to class the entrants in a 'paint' and 'decal' category to make special recognition of the expertise it takes to paint in the details.

BTW, the car looks great, no doubt.
Thanks OttoKrosse. I was informed that Scotty Ernst plans to implement more rules (like a functioning, drive-able chassis under the Concourse body) for the 2015 IIC Concourse. I don't know if he will class the entrants into 'paint' and 'decal' categories, but he may take it into consideration.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

I don't care that you used a separate chassis to display your body.
I'm more of a spectator in this and just admire the detail in concourse bodies.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Tech Champion

foul Pete
Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

this is a cool thread. i always shoot for accuracy & detail on my builds for racing or bashing. I love that with RC cars the focus is on the body for scale appearance, I honestly don't have the desire to build scale static models any more -- only because I build it then it sits there. I always find it ironic that one can put hours into making detailed suspension, engine & ancillaries but not one bit of it actually works!

It is also really gratifying to see a beautiful object racing around that I got to build. E.G. I've had many static Lancia/Ferrari/Porsche models over the years... but nothing compares to seeing a 1/10th Stratos clawing for grip after a big slide.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.