F1 or Touring Car? Tough decision

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F1 or Touring Car? Tough decision

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Tech Adept

I was in a similar situation as you, coming back after a break and had the choice between going TC and F1. I went TC because it's what I knew and I'm used to the cars. F1 is a really interesting class, seems very popular in certain areas, less so near me in the UK. That said driving the cars on their own looks to be good fun too, and the fact that the car looks more scale than the TC's is quite cool.

I'd suggest that you go with TC, but don't blow a huge amount of money on a car. Something like a Spec-R R1 would be a good option, then you could go for an F1 chassis later on down the road. F1 seems to be cheaper, not only the chassis but the electronics too, but you can have a top performing TC for not much more if you look around. Also I'd expect TC to be more popular than F1, there are also a ton of TC classes, so if those get popular you could use the same car and run a different class.

Whatever you pick, enjoy it!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mxgregg
I plan on running norcal but I live in Brentwood so waiting for delta's new on road track. Im a rookie so get a tc and we can race together.
Cool! I'm there! Hope it's ready by summer!
Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Cool lets get out and burn some laps! Braaaaaap!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eddiemoney13
Excellent points here, thanks. I think will all the feedback I'm getting, I think I'll jump in to 17.5 blinky TC. Seems to make more sense for my situation. Funny that you mentioned the Spec-R car because I've been leaning towards either that or the Sakura Zero S to start off.
If I were to go the F1 route, I was pretty much sold on the F104 v2 pro.
I love TC, so I am a bit biased (was really trying not to be in my earlier post though).

I have owned and run the Sakura Zero, and while it is a solid beginners car, I would go with the Spec-R if I was doing it today. That being said, see what the track has parts support for, and almost (if not more) as important is what are others driving. Setup advice is worth gold in on-road, and having people who can help you set the car up, as well as what upgrades, changes, tweaks might be needed to make it work for you is worth more then almost anything. I have found that in offroad, if you are close, the car can still be amazingly fast. If your setup is way off, it's usually still driveable, just slower. In on-road, TC and pan car specifically, if your setup if off a little, its nearly undrivable. There is also a lot of things you can adjust, and a lot of different theories about how much they affect things.

Plus, if you buy a car that is already popular at the track, you may be able to drive other peoples cars to see how they feel, and you can setup to match.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck though and I think you wiull have fun in TC!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by geeunit1014
If you enjoy looking at your car, get an F1. If you enjoy actually driving your car, get a TC. Its that simple. Remember the golden R/C rule: The more real it looks, the worse it is.
Sorry, but I disagree with this statement. F1's are a blast to drive. I will say that a TC is easier to drive, which is why some feel that it's better. Some of the best races I've seen and been in have been in F1. Does this not look like fun?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZX3cPTQ2prY
Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
Old 04-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with Thunderbunny... I have both sedan and F1 cars... love them both, but if I had to just run one class it would be F1 without a doubt... The car demands throttle control and for me the satisfaction I get when I make a clean lap, or clean pass is far greater with the F1 then with the sedan...

Suck it up and get both
Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

When I think F1, I think fast in all aspects. Unfortunately, they are some of the slowest cars at the track. The scale looks of the F1s are amazing, too bad they don't have the speed to back up their appearance.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eddiemoney13
Cool! I'm there! Hope it's ready by summer!
I didnt know that Delta was building an on-road track. I live in Walnut Creek and would make the drive into Antioch for it...even though it is..Antioch.

Make sure to bring your F1s

Would be awesome if someone started a UF1 Norcal
Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

In Norcal, we have the RCFIA series. We had a successful season last year. This year it looks like they will be adding Delta as one of the venues. At the moment, we are closely following UF1 rules.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GryphunRacing
I didnt know that Delta was building an on-road track. I live in Walnut Creek and would make the drive into Antioch for it...even though it is..Antioch.

Make sure to bring your F1s

Would be awesome if someone started a UF1 Norcal
Yup. They still have the off-road hobby shop on the fairgrounds, but they also just took over a former car dealership building and will be opening up an indoor asphalt track.

If F1 takes off over there, I'll most likely get one too along with TC. I'm a lot closer to Antioch than Union City. I live in Benicia.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riketsu
LOL! But I'm sure that cat hates everything!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

I think it depends of the tracks in your area. If there are small indoor or asphalt tracks F1 180 rubbers maybe better than touring car, but on big asphalt tracks modified touring cars are better
Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

+ 1

Originally Posted by rokosam
I think it depends of the tracks in your area. If there are small indoor or asphalt tracks F1 180 rubbers maybe better than touring car, but on big asphalt tracks modified touring cars are better
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
Sorry, but I disagree with this statement. F1's are a blast to drive. I will say that a TC is easier to drive, which is why some feel that it's better. Some of the best races I've seen and been in have been in F1. Does this not look like fun?
If you think TC is easy to drive, its cause you dont have enough motor.. The best races ive seen have all been mod TC, ive never seen a F1 race that was as close or interesting as those ('08 worlds A3, '11 ROAR paved nats A1+A2 for example). I also find 17.5 TC more interesting, because you can run as a pack and run door to door and really race people hard. I dont think ive seen a F1 race where there were enough good cars for that to happen, that video included.

Lightfoot, you want a car that demands throttle control, run mod tc..

Originally Posted by Riketsu
grumpycat.jpg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.