Wiki Posts
Search

Rayspeed Accord Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 03:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Soviet

The top guys use the same bodies probably due to a "group think" mentality. You show up...the super fast guy is using Body X and then everyone else does too...I've seen it happen all the time at the club / regional level, so why wouldn't it happen at the top as well???
Not so sure on that.... just have a look at the range of bodies used by the A-finalists at the recent LRP race....

Mazda's,
Ride/rayspeed accords
Yokomo/Ride/Excel Stratus's
Even saw a Tamiya B4 v2 in one of the pics....

Thats pretty varied (although the mazda I think was more popular with european racers, the accords/stratus' with the japenese)

Regards
Ed
Old 05-13-2005, 04:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Love both the Mazda 6 and Rayspeed Accord....
Sorry Soviet I disagree with you...
Read many articals and found you are wrong....
Even a slight variation in wing possition can casue a difference so if a slight variation can do that...A whole different body/wing design can yes make that big a difference.
You are correct that most people can only see a vary slight difference do to the fact that yes they do not know how to set up there cars.
But for those who are Anal about setup (yes I am now one of them) Who own the four digital scales just to make sure everything is perfect and I use calipers to check shock lenth...bla bla bla..You ge the point.

OK back to what I was going to post.
The Mazda 6 is one of the most user friendly bodies out becaus it can handle well under most conditions.
I like it fine, has a very well rounded feel.
The Rayspeed Accord has only a slight difference that it does give you more steering but also doesn't have as much rear downforce so the rear likes to come around if you don't have the car setup right.

Hope this helps,
Stephen <><
Old 05-13-2005, 05:17 AM
Tech Regular

Default rayspeed

I think the handling characteristics of the body feel different than say the Mazda 6 body. The wing is much smaller also which affects the flow of the body on the track. It is such a small difference though that I still run the Rayspeed and the Mazda 6.
Not to mention it's a very good looking body!
Old 05-13-2005, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by BigDogRacing
Oh wait, sorry, national events are only for people that use optimum body dynamics as a crutch for their inability to tune their suspension... and surely you wouldn't lower yourself to race with those idiots!!
Totally disagree,
My son had an Xray T1 FOC was going to give up racing because no matter what we did it handled like a bag of !*1*.

Changed from the BMW shell (not sure what make) to the Protoform Vectra, Hey Presto car handles great, any adjustment on the car now makes a difference.

Found this out once ar twice when helping other people.

So bodies do make a BIG difference
Old 05-13-2005, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

ok, so whos ever run a hpi super nitro, ok whos ever run the viper body, then switched to the bmw. no difference in handling there. and i don't care how good you are or how long you spend chassis tuning, you will never get the viper to work like the bmw.

but then again you have to read the quailifers in all of his posts.

its like if i say baseball players use drugs, then you say, no cause i know this guy and he plays base ball and he doesn't use drugs, then i say, i didn't say your friend used drugs, i said baseball players. then you say, not my friend, so not all, then i say, i never said all. then when six other guys jump in and prove me wrong, i say, why can't we all just go watch a game and have beer and get along, isn't that why we watch baseball.

just having fun here, no harm intended
Old 05-13-2005, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

Last year I ran a Protoform Mercedes and an HPI Skyline. I never could get a handle on the car running rubber tires on a former tennis court. This year I puleed out a BoLink Prelude and there was an incredible difference. I noticed the rear windows of the bodies I used last year extended back further towards the rear spoiler. The BoLink had more flat deck area infront of the spoiler (Protoform hard plastic). I have a Rayspeed Accord and Ride TSX that I have not pained yet. I noticed the rear window is similar to the BoLink Prelude and the front window is moved more forward, also the cab or "greenhouse" of the body is narrower. These aspects should allow more airflow to the rear wing and front windsheild moved forward should have more leverage on the rear to place more downforce on the front end.

If bodies do not make that much difference, how come Hara runns bodies other than the new HPI Stratus and why has Tamiya come out with the two B4 shells to cater to the racing customers that runTRF cars?
Old 05-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry for the typo, I have not PAINTED my new bodies; although setting up my new airbrush maybe a pain.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If you don't think bodies make a difference then you need to stick to club racing.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Dang David!!!, I was just throwing a few jabs, but you went straight for the KO!!!!LMAO

While that might not be the most tactful way to say it, there is some truth to DAvid's statement. However, NEVER should anyone feel they can't go to a big race to learn! It's the best place in the world to find great guys and learn more in one weekend than you will learn in 2 months of club racing!!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ok it was a little harsh, least I didn't put novice in there

Really though, bodies make a major difference. If you don't believe me then think of this. Why do Losi drivers run the Parma Alfa on carpet when Losi makes its own Alfa? Why do AE guys run it when Protoform makes their own?
Old 05-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The way you tune with different bodies to get optimum handling is to get a few different bodies together. Get the car setup and comfortable to drive with a body you know you like. Then do the back to back tests to get a feel for what each body does to the car and make notes of it. If the Ride body gives a little more steering than the Mazda, and the car seems to push a little with the Mazda, run the Ride. The differences between the top race bodies are not giant, but they're enough to get you a couple tenths a lap if you're racing at a highly competitive level. And at that level, that can be making the A and being in the C main. So yes body selection can be very important. It's used for fine tuning the car. Many times it's used to compensate for track conditions. If you know it's going to tighten up in the afternoon due to heat, run a body with a little more steering. Now the handling difference between one of the top competition bodies (Mazda, Ride, Stratus 3.0 etc...) and a "basher" body like many of the HPI and Tamiya bodies that are more geared toward scale realism is HUGE. I wonder SOVIET, what body do you currently run on your TC? If you're running a competition body, go try out one of the HPI RX8 bodies with the stock wing on it. See how much of a difference you feel.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by DavidAlford
If you don't think bodies make a difference then you need to stick to club racing.
I don't think we need wheels either....Tank treads may give more side-bite.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Jon Kerr
The way you tune with different bodies to get optimum handling is to get a few different bodies together. Get the car setup and comfortable to drive with a body you know you like. Then do the back to back tests to get a feel for what each body does to the car and make notes of it. If the Ride body gives a little more steering than the Mazda, and the car seems to push a little with the Mazda, run the Ride. The differences between the top race bodies are not giant, but they're enough to get you a couple tenths a lap if you're racing at a highly competitive level. And at that level, that can be making the A and being in the C main. So yes body selection can be very important. It's used for fine tuning the car. Many times it's used to compensate for track conditions. If you know it's going to tighten up in the afternoon due to heat, run a body with a little more steering. Now the handling difference between one of the top competition bodies (Mazda, Ride, Stratus 3.0 etc...) and a "basher" body like many of the HPI and Tamiya bodies that are more geared toward scale realism is HUGE. I wonder SOVIET, what body do you currently run on your TC? If you're running a competition body, go try out one of the HPI RX8 bodies with the stock wing on it. See how much of a difference you feel.
I run / ran a Mazda 6 for quite a while with the stock wing all the way aft.

On a BMI TC3...

I've currently got a new Caddy CTS I'm trying in addition to the Nemesis.

On an FK05 and TC4.

Last edited by Soviet; 05-13-2005 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Soviet:

When you run the Nemesis back to back with the Mazda how does the car handle different when the Nemesis shell is on (assuming setup is unchanged)

You will get less steering

Do the same with the Mazda and the Caddy:

You will get let steering/rotation comming out of the corner and the car feels a little more "stuck" to the track

Look for those traits next time you race and I bet you'll see them
Old 05-15-2005, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

will heres mine
Attached Thumbnails Rayspeed Accord Body-dsc02023.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.