Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Yea my point remains, unscrew the bolt in between your motor and speedo, dont need to unscrew it all the way, but when you do, it will allow that side to flex as far as the screw so its easier to get a driver in there.
aka the top deck brace, the two long planks which you are calling braces are the actual top deck, terminology confusion i know everyone calls things differently so that isnt a dig at you at all

but other than that, turn the pinion around, seems to be the most common practise.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Or simply get a 'hex-ball' driver....
Old 09-16-2013, 06:29 AM
pbr
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I bought the mi5 for my son, that has been racing or about a year and a half . The cars he runs are . 009 Xray in VTA ( he won the southern oval championship @ minnreg where we got a look at an Mi5) also ran the same car at village raceway for the Nats for 10 th place. He runs an 11 T3 xray and also a 6.1 for Touring cars.
He had his frist state race with the Mi5 on a 100x 50 asphalt road course. The car was built with all parts from kit as a mid motor car worked really well. Only changes made during the day was raising and lowering of shocks as temp changed.
The alloy screws were tested in practice and worked as designed . Car was repaired in minutes. Changing of the gears are a breeze compared to the x-ray.
Overall this is one tough car Very easy to work on Out of the field of over 30 cars He qualified 12th He was in a second to third-place battle When a bump and run occurred And the rack came loose from the steering In his B main ( will make sure to keep that checked) At 14 I thought that was not bad for his frist state race against some of the best racers in Florida . Also so far I have been pleased with the Parts availability And the speed that I received them in. Unlike the x-ray parts . In closing the only thing that I can say is Thank you Schumacher For a car that works Out-of-the-box And don't forget about the weekend warrior,
Old 09-16-2013, 10:34 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

..... In closing the only thing that I can say is Thank you Schumacher For a car that works Out-of-the-box And don't forget about the weekend warrior,
+1 for a great story Paul. .. we couldn't agree more. !
Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Couldnt agree more, i had some issues with my steering rack also but after 10 minutes of fiddling with the rear bearing it hasnt popped out since even after impacts! i just make sure its clean n good after each run.

Changing gears be it pinion or spur on the schumacher is just heavenly, that goes for the belts as well..all just so accessible and within reach!
Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

Wink pinion

but other than that, turn the pinion around, seems to be the most common practise.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I did.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

G884 DJC's are back in stock.. V2 pins and blocks in stock Friday 9/20
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-g884_w.jpg  
Old 09-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Tech Adept

A friend is parting with his two Mi5, one rear, another center motor mounting. Out of curiosity, I am getting one from him to try (and frankly to compare it against my Awesomatix, T4 and VBC D06), and I chose the center motor setup. Can I just adopt the rear motor setup sheets for the center motor setup? The track I run is high speed, high traction outdoor asphalt.

Also, as where I am located parts for this car is almost non-existent, any parts that I need to stock up? Is it true that the spec R gear diff (and its inner gears) compatible with the MI5?

Any tips appreciated.

And BTW, the friend said he was upset about the steering mechanics, it was way too much slop to his likings, so he just give up these cars to me for a steal...
Old 09-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i have some bodies reamed for the mi4, will it fit on the mi5?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by poochy
i have some bodies reamed for the mi4, will it fit on the mi5?
Yes, if you setup the rear body posts the same way (ie front or rear of shock tower). All my bodies are interchangeable.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:32 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pbr
I bought the mi5 for my son, that has been racing or about a year and a half . The cars he runs are . 009 Xray in VTA ( he won the southern oval championship @ minnreg where we got a look at an Mi5) also ran the same car at village raceway for the Nats for 10 th place. He runs an 11 T3 xray and also a 6.1 for Touring cars.
He had his frist state race with the Mi5 on a 100x 50 asphalt road course. The car was built with all parts from kit as a mid motor car worked really well. Only changes made during the day was raising and lowering of shocks as temp changed.
The alloy screws were tested in practice and worked as designed . Car was repaired in minutes. Changing of the gears are a breeze compared to the x-ray.
Overall this is one tough car Very easy to work on Out of the field of over 30 cars He qualified 12th He was in a second to third-place battle When a bump and run occurred And the rack came loose from the steering In his B main ( will make sure to keep that checked) At 14 I thought that was not bad for his frist state race against some of the best racers in Florida . Also so far I have been pleased with the Parts availability And the speed that I received them in. Unlike the x-ray parts . In closing the only thing that I can say is Thank you Schumacher For a car that works Out-of-the-box And don't forget about the weekend warrior,
pbr, glad to hear you made the purchase. The Southern Oval Nats was my first outing with the car and I was very pleased with it. I did re-learn a valuable lesson though....don't get complacent riding around and waiting to make a pass for the lead in the Main. It cost me - and he drove well.

This weekend it's off to Nashville to run it at the USVTA Southern Nats. I expect the car to work just as well.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by blackshark3
A friend is parting with his two Mi5, one rear, another center motor mounting. Out of curiosity, I am getting one from him to try (and frankly to compare it against my Awesomatix, T4 and VBC D06), and I chose the center motor setup. Can I just adopt the rear motor setup sheets for the center motor setup? The track I run is high speed, high traction outdoor asphalt.

Also, as where I am located parts for this car is almost non-existent, any parts that I need to stock up? Is it true that the spec R gear diff (and its inner gears) compatible with the MI5?

Any tips appreciated.

And BTW, the friend said he was upset about the steering mechanics, it was way too much slop to his likings, so he just give up these cars to me for a steal...
PM me your email...

..p
Old 09-19-2013, 03:12 AM
Tech Regular

I have no slop in my steering when the servo is turned on, takes up the slack so to speak
Old 09-19-2013, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PurcyP
I have no slop in my steering when the servo is turned on, takes up the slack so to speak
My steering rack is also stiff and tight, when the servo is turned on. But I got more sloop in my steering hubs than I hav had in any other car. Maybe something to do with the ballbearings ang kingpin setup. ?
Can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it......
Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Shock Tower
My steering rack is also stiff and tight, when the servo is turned on. But I got more sloop in my steering hubs than I hav had in any other car. Maybe something to do with the ballbearings ang kingpin setup. ?
Can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it......
We've been using .2-.3 mm brass motor shims with some success.. there will likely be a bit of fitting to ensure that it doesn't bind; should still fall under it's own weight. It will remove much of the 'back and forth' of the caster block... It's not a perfect solution, but should minimize most of it... hope it helps..

..p
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-2013-09-12-17.19.16.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.