R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2013, 04:29 AM   #901
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

deejay555, that is really a setting that you want to test on the track. In general though, if you are running on low bite tarmac I would go with the .5mm shims under the arms. This will allow the car to roll more and should have more all around grip.
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:18 AM   #902
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA View Post
A more stood up rear shock gives more rear traction and less rotation in the turns.
Laid down shocks give more site bite so it seems to give more traction. Is this statement false then? I know in some cases, stood up shocks give more downforce so they give more traction. This is probably what you're talking about right?
What do you mean by "rotation"?
Old 07-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #903
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Laid down shocks give more site bite so it seems to give more traction. Is this statement false then? I know in some cases, stood up shocks give more downforce so they give more traction. This is probably what you're talking about right?
What do you mean by "rotation"?
Generally, laying down your shocks will free up/give less side bite in the rear end of the car.

Rotation is the slight, controlled drifting of the rear tires mid corner (on or off power) to corner exit (on power) that better points the car in the right direction for corner exit. Too little rotation is slow because you are too stuck. Too much is unstable and inconsistent. You want a balance of front steering and rear rotation to help the car turn efficiently.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #904
CA
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Generally, laying down your shocks will free up/give less side bite in the rear end of the car.

Rotation is the slight, controlled drifting of the rear tires mid corner (on or off power) to corner exit (on power) that better points the car in the right direction for corner exit. Too little rotation is slow because you are too stuck. Too much is unstable and inconsistent. You want a balance of front steering and rear rotation to help the car turn efficiently.
Correct Sir!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #905
Tech Regular

The cornering speed of this chassis on carpet really surprises me. How can such a flexible chassis work so well in high grip conditions - it seems to spit in the face of traditional thinking.
DavidNERODease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #906
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNERODease View Post
The cornering speed of this chassis on carpet really surprises me. How can such a flexible chassis work so well in high grip conditions - it seems to spit in the face of traditional thinking.
I know what you mean. The chassis flex should dilute the effects of suspension changes but this is not the case. Add a 0.5mm shim under the front hub ball stud and you WILL get more steering. Lean in or stand up the shocks and you WILL free up or lock in that end of the car.

After running the Mi5 for a few weeks I really feel this car is pretty incredible. The cool thing is we are just scratching the surface. We will figure out better setups, Schumacher will continue to develop the platform, release new bits and it will go even faster.

The Mi5 is like a Formula 1 car and we are just starting the season...
Old 07-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #907
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Ditto Adrian

This car has got me excited about racing again

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #908
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

When you guys talk about high bite carpet is it "really" high bite. Is there a black groove in the carpet. I know that's not a 100% indication but I always think my local track gets high amounts of traction (at club races) then I go to the big races and get fooled My hopes are high for the MI5
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #909
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

DavidNERODease and I race at lousspeedway and hobbies. Along with Xrays Andrew Hardman. At lous we have such high grip that our regular racing surface is as high as the final rounds at the big races.ive been to. When we have a big race and the grip comes way up its unreal.
Howdy_beecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #910
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teacher View Post
When you guys talk about high bite carpet is it "really" high bite. Is there a black groove in the carpet. I know that's not a 100% indication but I always think my local track gets high amounts of traction (at club races) then I go to the big races and get fooled My hopes are high for the MI5
My track is usually med/high traction but traffic has increased lately as guy are hitting the track practicing for the IIC. We have a very dark grey groove now.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #911
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Very well said AdrianM about rotation. Perfectly described. I remember fondly times with the Axis 2 (yes im old) when the car was at its fastest was when you just turned slightly and it pivoted around perfectly yet felt stuck. Not sliding not understeering. Just responding to slight movements easily. Its a beautiful thing. Best I think I ever had a car setup and the track records went with it
Ozasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #912
Tech Regular

Just recived mi Mi5 kit today, but unforntantly Schumacher UK was out of 96T 64P spur gears, so I can't try it out before they are back in stock, and my back order is furfilled... Hope they are soon.

Regarding pre-threading the hub with tha grove screw, can anyone explaine me, what they mean by 'Is flush with the moulding' ?

And do you all use the 2000cst for the gear diff ? i have always used 1000cst for my rear gear diff in my BD5.

Do you all looktit the spur gears screws as explained in the manual, I have never done that on my other cars. ?
Shock Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #913
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock Tower View Post
Regarding pre-threading the hub with tha grove screw, can anyone explaine me, what they mean by 'Is flush with the moulding' ?
Only screw it in enough that the entire grub screw is inside the opening (ie flush with the bottom surface of the hub carrier (U4256)), no further. I think the pre-threading is mainly to make sure the alignment is perfect and you want the king pin to cut the last few threads when you install it to make sure the fit is tight.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #914
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

got my kit today and am enjoying this build. great fit and finish, parts are well sorted.breezing along,happy,happy,happy.....lol
beaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #915
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock Tower View Post
Just recived mi Mi5 kit today, but unforntantly Schumacher UK was out of 96T 64P spur gears, so I can't try it out before they are back in stock, and my back order is furfilled... Hope they are soon.

And do you all use the 2000cst for the gear diff ? i have always used 1000cst for my rear gear diff in my BD5.

Do you all looktit the spur gears screws as explained in the manual, I have never done that on my other cars. ?
I am using 2000cst (Durango) in the beautiful Mi5 diff and it seems perfect to me. I also used a small amount of the kit supplied locktite as instructed. Gotta trust Schumacher after such a brilliant creation.
DavidNERODease is offline   Reply With Quote