R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #826
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3
Questions??

Can anyone confirm if the extra .3mm shims in the shocks compress the o-rings enough to stop the leeks altogether. Or if it is also worth changing o-rings, ie softer muchmore varients. Already using green slime. And yes the shocks are built correctly.

I HATE rebuilding shocks so often when i rarley need to change viscosity.

Thanks.
kartdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #827
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkless View Post
Same here, everything but the 2.5 degree wishbones since I haven't found them available anywhere yet. We are low-medium grip so the change might not be needed. I am short the 3 dink camber plate in the front, other than that it's an exact match. I will be swapping to the Schumacher springs (whatever rate is close to the Yokomo pink/blue) this weekend and see how things go. Hopefully I will have time to build up by second Mi5 and start getting some MOD practice in for IIC.
I was chatting with Martin Hofer and learned something about the springs. The Schumacher Green 16lb springs included in the kit essentially are HPI Silvers. Same steel, diameter, number of coils, production process, frequency, etc. There are awesome on asphalt.

Yokomo Pinks and Yokomo Blues are also both 16lb (or really close in reality) springs but they arrive at that rate differently from the Schumacher Greens and even each other. I know there are some spring charts out there that say different but Martin is adamant that they are incorrect. These are the ideal springs for carpet.

Yok Pinks are 16lb/6.5 coils/1.5mm wire (Stiff because of the wire diameter)

Yok Blues are 16lb/5.75 coils/1.4mm wire (Stiff because of the fewer coils).

Both are the same rate but they get there differently. When you drive an Mi5 with Green springs on carpet the car feel "On" the track. With the Yok springs the Mi5 feels "In" the track. Its hard to describe but there is a big difference in feel and how the car looks getting around the track. You get more side bite but it is less likely to traction roll with the Yok Springs.

This is why just about everyone (AE, Tam, Yok, HB, etc) runs HPI Silvers on asphalt and Yok Pink and Blues on carpet.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #828
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 292
Default

Additional question regarding extra shims in the shocks, what is the dimension to use, outer and inner dia. ?
Shock Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #829
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartdemon View Post
Can anyone confirm if the extra .3mm shims in the shocks compress the o-rings enough to stop the leeks altogether. Or if it is also worth changing o-rings, ie softer muchmore varients. Already using green slime. And yes the shocks are built correctly.

I HATE rebuilding shocks so often when i rarley need to change viscosity.

Thanks.
If you get a Tamiya or 3Racing 4mm shim kit you will get .1/.2/.3mm shims. Start with the .3mm's and if you need more add a .1mm

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=3217
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #830
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: oakdale,new york
Posts: 609
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

went to pick up my mi5 today but it wasn't there,bummer, i am itching to start the build. ordered some battery tape today,always used velcro but have had issues with the battery slipping out in my tc6 so i am going to try the tape. do you run it under the brackets and over the battery, how many layers?
beaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #831
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 745
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

I run it over the battery and one layer has been plenty....except I haven't had any real crashes yet.
__________________
John Barr
On-Road: VBC WildFireD08; VBC Lightning10; VBC Lightning12; VBC Lightning10-235mm
Off-Road: Not likely
Special thanks to EMRFactory and VBC Racing.
linkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #832
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,539
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I was chatting with Martin Hofer and learned something about the springs. The Schumacher Green 16lb springs included in the kit essentially are HPI Silvers. Same steel, diameter, number of coils, production process, frequency, etc. There are awesome on asphalt.

Yokomo Pinks and Yokomo Blues are also both 16lb (or really close in reality) springs but they arrive at that rate differently from the Schumacher Greens and even each other. I know there are some spring charts out there that say different but Martin is adamant that they are incorrect. These are the ideal springs for carpet.

Yok Pinks are 16lb/6.5 coils/1.5mm wire (Stiff because of the wire diameter)

Yok Blues are 16lb/5.75 coils/1.4mm wire (Stiff because of the fewer coils).

Both are the same rate but they get there differently. When you drive an Mi5 with Green springs on carpet the car feel "On" the track. With the Yok springs the Mi5 feels "In" the track. Its hard to describe but there is a big difference in feel and how the car looks getting around the track. You get more side bite but it is less likely to traction roll with the Yok Springs.

This is why just about everyone (AE, Tam, Yok, HB, etc) runs HPI Silvers on asphalt and Yok Pink and Blues on carpet.
Interesting about the Schumi Greens

+ about the difference with Yokomo springs, totally different feel to others
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #833
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 66
Default

does anyone know when the 2,5 rear arms will be in stock? They have been in back order since they were first up on the schumacher site.. I pre orderd them aswell with my local hobby shop when i orderd the kit, but he wont receive them either since they are not in stock. Has been nearly 2 months now..
JanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #834
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: oakdale,new york
Posts: 609
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

been trying to find what size body this beauty takes,190 or 200mm maybe im looking in the wrong place,tried the schumacher website and didn't see it,but i've been known not to see stuff thats right in front of me(senior moments)...thanks
beaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #835
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 745
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

It takes a 190mm body.
__________________
John Barr
On-Road: VBC WildFireD08; VBC Lightning10; VBC Lightning12; VBC Lightning10-235mm
Off-Road: Not likely
Special thanks to EMRFactory and VBC Racing.
linkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #836
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaven View Post
been trying to find what size body this beauty takes,190 or 200mm maybe im looking in the wrong place,tried the schumacher website and didn't see it,but i've been known not to see stuff thats right in front of me(senior moments)...thanks
it takes a 190 mm body. I like the Mazda Speed 6 body, it makes the car easier to drive. If you like a car that feels like it is more on edge, try the LTC.
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #837
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 515
Default

I also went with the shorty battery pack, and a smaller servo, and a lite-weight body. My car went from 1540 grams down to 1265 grams. It is well balanced with the speed-o behind the battery pack.
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #838
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 515
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
After a full day of testing on carpet I learned a few valuable lessons.

1. Martin's Hofer's Base Setup is an extremely good place to start. Don't skimp, get the parts you need to duplicate it exactly. I did and it was worth it.

2. The Yok Springs are crucial on carpet. The kit green springs are not good on carpet. I wanted to test the Schumacher Blue and Whites but I ran out of time.

3. Battery position makes a huge difference. With my batt in the rear the car was unstable on med grip carpet. In the Mid position the car became very smooth. This will allow me to put some of the rotation I took out with other settings back in.

4. If you change a setting on the Mi5 you will get exactly what you expect to get.

This was all with Jaco Blue tires, the kit motor position and a Protoform lite LTC-R mounted centered on the front wheel wells and with the rear wing overhanging ~8mm. I could get the Mi5 to be mellow and smooth or edgy and aggressive with the LTC-R so this will become my new standard body for all surfaces.

My lap times by the end of the day were competitive middle of the A-Main times. I am certain there is more speed in the car as I feel I made it too safe to drive by the end of the day. This is OK as this was my goal. I wanted to make sure I could get it to drive like a Caddy through conventional setup changes. Now I can make it more aggressive again and know I can get any balance I want.

Racing next Wednesday and looking forward to it.
Great stuff Adrian!
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #839
Tech Master
 
scott_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brisbane, Aus
Posts: 1,785
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to scott_g Send a message via Skype™ to scott_g
Default

Part nums for option parts:

U4311 - 3 dink link mount
U4295 - rear hub carrier arm set (2 pairs)
U4354 - 2.5 deg rear arm - left
U4358 - 2.5 deg rear arm - right

Not sure about current avail of 2.5 arms from Schue direct but we have had them in stock in Aus since the car was first released, still have a couple sets.
__________________
schumacher, speedpassion and more plus race blog at www.actionrc.com.au
twittering @ scottyg_rc
scott_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #840
Tech Elite
 
haywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,732
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_g View Post
Part nums for option parts:

U4311 - 3 dink link mount
U4295 - rear hub carrier arm set (2 pairs)
U4354 - 2.5 deg rear arm - left
U4358 - 2.5 deg rear arm - right

Not sure about current avail of 2.5 arms from Schue direct but we have had them in stock in Aus since the car was first released, still have a couple sets.
Thanks!
__________________
/ Roche Rapida 2015-2016 / Hobbywing / Team Scream / Rc Painting By Mikey / Ko Propo / MMR / Dri-Fit Mafia /
haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:32 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0