R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #541
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozasis View Post
Just checking. Is it normal for front wheel hub bearings to sit out by about 1mm? Looks odd but I guess there is less chance for compression on the bearing
Yes, it's been like that since the Mi2. The hub is narrow so wheels dont rub. It allows you to run the really narrow wheel hexes with wheels that have a deep hex socket.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #542
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to scott_g Send a message via Skype™ to scott_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozasis View Post
Just checking. Is it normal for front wheel hub bearings to sit out by about 1mm? Looks odd but I guess there is less chance for compression on the bearing
That's normal Chris - the way it's designed.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #543
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ha thanks Adrian. Think the Mi2 was my last car damn!
Ozasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:23 AM   #544
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Hey Adrian are you going to do a step by step build on here like with the MI3? that was great write up
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #545
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Hey Adrian are you going to do a step by step build on here like with the MI3? that was great write up
I'll take some pics during assembly and if I run into anything worth clearing up i'll post it.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #546
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This car looks great. I'm still trying to figure out why the plates for the camber links need to be changed out? Multiple holes couldn't be drilled in some sort of offset pattern into one piece?
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #547
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
This car looks great. I'm still trying to figure out why the plates for the camber links need to be changed out? Multiple holes couldn't be drilled in some sort of offset pattern into one piece?
2 - 3mm holes spaced 1mm apart would be one oval hole. There would be no way to ensure the pivot ball location while tightening it. I think off setting the holes would yeild weird camber link angles and more change that one would want to make. Many of the camber mount options on other cars are not very useful.

The 4 dink plate makes the upper camber links longer for less camber change and more stability. This is best for asphalt and low grip carpet.

The 3 dink plate makes for a shorter link with more camber change and more aggressive handling. This is good for carpet and high grip conditions where the car can be pushed harder before it breaks away.

I run on carpet mostly but I will start with the kit carpet setup that calls for the 4 dink plate.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #548
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
The 4 dink plate makes the upper camber links longer for less camber change and more stability. This is best for asphalt and low grip carpet.

The 3 dink plate makes for a shorter link with more camber change and more aggressive handling. This is good for carpet and high grip conditions where the car can be pushed harder before it breaks away.
Huh. That's the opposite of my very tenuous understanding of camber links. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I always thought you want the longer camber links on carpet to calm the car down, and limit the peak grip (through camber loss) to avoid traction roll. And you'd use shorter camber links in lower grip to get more bite and response. That seemed to be the trend in the team driver setups for the Mi4, anyway.

I have much to try.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #549
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Huh. That's the opposite of my very tenuous understanding of camber links. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I always thought you want the longer camber links on carpet to calm the car down, and limit the peak grip (through camber loss) to avoid traction roll. And you'd use shorter camber links in lower grip to get more bite and response. That seemed to be the trend in the team driver setups for the Mi4, anyway.

I have much to try.

-Mike
Shorter links just seem to make cars faster and more responsive on carpet.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #550
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

In addition to response
Shorter links raise the roll center, for less chassis roll, and minimize grip roll
Sounds about right for hi grip tracks I think ?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #551
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
In addition to response
Shorter links raise the roll center, for less chassis roll, and minimize grip roll
Sounds about right for hi grip tracks I think ?
If the pivot points are on the original line of the link there is no roll center change. The shorter link would only change the rate at which camber is gained. Shorter links give faster camber gain without altering roll center.

You can try this out here: http://www.racingaspirations.com/sus...try-calculator

On carpet where grip is usually higher than on asphalt and where corners are sharper, faster camber gain can be better.

Like anything, this is a setting that has to be tested. It my not always be better.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #552
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Now thats a fun tool
Howdy_beecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #553
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I remembered to take photos of my build after step 5 or so. At some point I will put together a slide show or something for it. The only I encountered was pulling the threads out of one of the aluminum nuts in the pieces that attach the upper plates to the shock towers. I had a purple one here so I built it with that and will put a proper black one on when done. My build went quick becuase I had prepainted a pair of bodies and the electrics were from another TC so nothing more than new servo tape was needed. Of course, the mid motor kit is on the way so I'll probably tear everything apart and paint the edges of the chassis.
Special thanks to EMRFactory and VBC Racing.
linkless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #554
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
2 - 3mm holes spaced 1mm apart would be one oval hole. There would be no way to ensure the pivot ball location while tightening it. I think off setting the holes would yeild weird camber link angles and more change that one would want to make. Many of the camber mount options on other cars are not very useful.

I run on carpet mostly but I will start with the kit carpet setup that calls for the 4 dink plate.
I was thinking it was just because the plate is mounted on an angle. Moving the link mount from hole to hole would result in a height change as well as a link lenth change?
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #555
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some pics from my build

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=44b8e8c5f9
Ozasis is offline   Reply With Quote