R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #481
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflat57 View Post
You are right about perfection being impossible, but missing a whole bag?? I can understand a part or two, but the whole bag??

And it take it (at) means @
I know exactly how you feel. Jusy know that Scumacher will make it right.

FYI, Schumacher weighs each bag and their complete kits on a counting scale as a quality check. Light bags and kits are usually spotted and corrected before they make it out of the production area. Be confident that this is a rare error.

Yup (at) is @. Just trying to stop any spam search bots from finding Marks email addy.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #482
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I know exactly how you feel. Jusy know that Scumacher will make it right.

FYI, Schumacher weighs each bag and their complete kits on a counting scale as a quality check. Light bags and kits are usually spotted and corrected before they make it out of the production area. Be confident that this is a rare error.

Yup (at) is @. Just trying to stop any spam search bots from finding Marks email addy.
Thank you so much. You kind of made me feel better. You didn't have to respond or post anything. I'm thankful you did.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #483
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutley001 View Post
Was a tight track indoors on carpet. Needed a bit more initial steering but carried a lot of corner speed and rotated well with a lot of exit steering. Looking forward to more work on it this week!
Pretty much mirrors the comments from the hot shoe local here putting his new MI5 thru its paces today

Car looks really good, tons of grip, lots of steering, even with kit setup, I know he made some adjustments throughout the day to improve on it more

I wasn't expecting the car to work THAT well on the rug

Nearly as quick as my BD7

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #484
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop View Post
thank you, I will give that a try
+1 here too I'm going to try this as well
machocave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #485
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozasis View Post
Hello all. Some of you may remember me from about 8 years ago. I drove for Schumacher all the way in Melbourne Australia. Well I just bought an Mi5 as the bug never left. Planning to perhaps race some 13.5. With kids its a little tougher to find time these days. This looks like a beautiful kit once again. I look forward to interacting with the community here again. Chris
Welcome back Chris! It's great meeting Schumacher Mi5 racers from around the world
Old 06-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #486
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkless View Post
Now that I've had time to eat and rest....results from today.

The Mi5 managed to match the speed of the S411 and was much easier to drive. Our track is low grip carpet as stated above and we have been trying everything to get more traction. The fastest lap on this layout is a 12.5 and I was able to get both cars down to 12.6.

The car is mostly built to the kit setup right now with the following exceptions:
All shims removed from below arm pivots for lowest roll center possible.
Yokomo pink springs on the front (slightly softer than the kit)
Serpent White springs on the rear (slightly softer than the Yokomo Pink)
Camber 1.0 degrees on all corners (leaning the tires in creates a lot of build up)
Paragon Ground Effects soaked long enough to dry out
5.5mm ground clearance front and back
5mm droop on all corners
diff fluid and oil from the kit
Geared at 43t pinion/96t spur

As I stated, the car is very easy to drive with fairly aggressive steering but still really balanced. The rear is just as locked in as the front. I need to find a few more tenths but to do it you have to run close to the boards in a few spots and they are very unforgiving.
Wow! That is great to hear and thanks for the awesome setup tips
Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #487
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
UPS says my car will be here Monday. Just in time for me to fly out of town for a week
OMG! This happens to me all time, and I thought I was the only one
Old 06-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #488
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpea76 View Post
Got mine done today. Picked it up from Speedtech last night.

1384 grams with regular rubber LTCR body. Stuck some old tires and wheels on for a quick run. 26mm wheels with 24mm inserts and Sweep 30e tires.

Built everything per manual specs. No rubbing, no leaking, no squeaks, and a no fuss build, but.... I had one button screw for the sway bar mount that came unthreaded. I have a few spare Ti ones around in the same size along with some old HPI Pro 2 purple bits. Liking the Reventon R and D3.5 17.5 combo too. Can't wait till Monday for some abuse.

Wow! Your build looks super awesome!
Old 06-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #489
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
First race with the Mi5 today... practice race day for stop #1 in the Northwest Asphalt Challenge next week. The car was good, but I wasn't overwhelmed. I ran basically the stock setup, with 1.5 camber front, and 2.0 rear. The car seemed pretty fast, with a LOT of on-power steering... but it wasn't nearly as easy to drive as my Tamiya 417x (that i have an entire season of experience with)... Ran brand new tires with a TON of grip in the main, and the car became quite a bit to manage... So for now, I have to reserve overall judgment until I get a couple more race days under my belt with the car. Potential seems high.

I have a few issues with the car though.

1.) My rear shocks are leaking a bit through the o-rings. Enough so that I wont be able to make a whole race day without a rebuild.

2.) All 4 corners (feels like the shocks) "tick" if I compress the arms quickly. If I compress slowly, they are smooth.

3.) My right rear arm seems to have a bit or a bind.. or a "tick" that is a bit different then the ones on the other corners. If I take the shock off the car, the arm feels 100% smooth.. and so does the shock. (each individually) It only happens when the shock is ON the car, but I can't tell where it is actually coming from. It almost looks like the inside of the suspension arm is rubbing up against the bulkhead... but you can't feel it with the shock off the car. I'm a little stumped.

4.) By my 5th battery pack, the bolt that goes up through the caster block, unscrewed it self a turn or two. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, but when THAT particular bolt comes out (even just a little bit) it introduces a TON of slop in your caster. So I could wobble my caster between something like 0 and 8 degrees. I didn't catch it till after the main... it was a handful to drive like that.

Hopefully I can get some of these bugs worked out before the big race next week.
I am sure you already know this but I'd suggest trying a step or two softer rear spring, leaning in the all the shocks or both.

Also, along with your change to 1.5deg camber in the front, going to a .5mm shim between the pivot ball and the top of the front hub or no shim will reduce camber gain and mellow out the steering.

You could also add 1mm shims to the arm pivot balls to raise the roll centers, reduce chassis roll and weight transfer.

Lots of possibilities!

Honestly, I think you have a good problem. I would rather have to work to make a car less aggressive than try and figure out how to make it more aggressive.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #490
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflat57 View Post
You are right about perfection being impossible, but missing a whole bag?? I can understand a part or two, but the whole bag??

And it take it (at) means @
I totally understand how upset you must be, as this happened to me with a different RC vendor, and their customer support really didn't seem to care at all--I ended up buying the missing parts myself to finish out the kit.

Unlike the other RC vendor, Schumacher is a great company and the people working there really do stand behind their product. I'd suggest sending them an email with your shipping address and contact info and they will get to you ASAP, here stateside there might be a 6 or 7 hour time difference.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #491
Tech Master

Whats the side to side flex like? Is it about the same as most tc's or softer
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #492
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by machocave View Post
here stateside there might be a 6 or 7 hour time difference.
Thanks for that info. I'm here checking my email every 15 minutes. Lol
Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #493
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
Softer. The car has mega flex.
Mi4cxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #494
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
I thought my 417x was flexy... compared to the Mi5 it feels like a 2x4. The Mi5 has tons of flex.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #495
Tech Adept

Any online stores with the alloy arm screws in stock? (U4236) They don't seem to be even listed with most of the stores carrying the Mi5 and Schumacher shows as out of stock.
cgroves is offline   Reply With Quote