R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #2401
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: LA/SGV SoCal
Posts: 296
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

JWick, where are you getting those Solaris wheels/tires?
greenpea76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #2402
Tech Rookie
 
JWick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Near Nürnberg - Germany
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpea76 View Post
JWick, where are you getting those Solaris wheels/tires?
I bought them at the german shop RC-KleinKram (also called T2Shop, because he was spezialised on Xray cars).

They are very good and constant and looks very cool with those wheels.
__________________
Schumacher Mi5evo - The Evolution is there
Team CS-Electronic/Schumacher Racing-Cars Germany

Mi5evo/LRP Flow Works/Sanwa RX-461/Savöx SC-1252MG/Boomerang 6000mAh 90C
JWick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #2403
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,173
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWick View Post
Thank you very much.



I will test it at the LRP-Challenge (18./19. 10.2014). I will also test an active rear suspension there. I inform you about the results

Here is a picture of the active suspension:
Attachment 1237588
And one about of my Mi5 Evo, which I repurpled
Attachment 1237592
And the matching bodywork
Attachment 1237593
I'd had a look at out fitting my evo with a reactive rear, but a couple of things to bare in mind with the setup you've gone with.

1) Rear lowershock position - It's a lot further in when using the front arms on the rear, which will dramatically alter the level of grip.
2) Rear roll bar - obviously using the front bar on the rear is needed to work with the front arms, but a shorter bar will behave stiffer than the standard longer one.

Not saying that the reactive rear won't be an interesting experiment, but you'll need to bare the above in mind when running it.

Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:18 AM   #2404
Tech Rookie
 
JWick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Near Nürnberg - Germany
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
I'd had a look at out fitting my evo with a reactive rear, but a couple of things to bare in mind with the setup you've gone with.

1) Rear lowershock position - It's a lot further in when using the front arms on the rear, which will dramatically alter the level of grip.
2) Rear roll bar - obviously using the front bar on the rear is needed to work with the front arms, but a shorter bar will behave stiffer than the standard longer one.

Not saying that the reactive rear won't be an interesting experiment, but you'll need to bare the above in mind when running it.

Ed
I find it great, that other persons build it and find the same "problems".
But there are easy ways to solve some of them.
1) Rear lowershock position - To adjust the ride height in the same range, you have to use other/lower spring plate. So I used them from my old HB TCX (#73510). They suit perfekt and you can easy set for example 4mm ride height.
1.2) Shock position - The biggest problem is, that the lower shock attachment ist much more inside the car and the shock has another angle, so that you have a complete different spring and shock transmission. I calculate a little bit and get a correction factor of 1.17. So your old spring hardness multiplied with 1.17 result in the spring hardness, which you have to use with an active suspension. Also you have to use harder oil. Concrete it means, if you use for example the Spec-R 2.5 Spring now you have to use the 2.9 Spring and instead of 350cSt oil you have to use 400cSt to have comparable values.
2) Rear roll bar - Here the same. To get nearly the same values, you have to use a correction factor of 1.26. So your old diameter divided by 1.26 result in your new diameter of the roll bar. So instead of the 3 point rear roll bar you have to use the 1 point front roll bar.

The biggest problem ist, that the roll center values also changed and
I have no desire to calculate that one too and i´m not 100% sure if my calculates are general right.

But we will see it next week and i will give you an detailed report
__________________
Schumacher Mi5evo - The Evolution is there
Team CS-Electronic/Schumacher Racing-Cars Germany

Mi5evo/LRP Flow Works/Sanwa RX-461/Savöx SC-1252MG/Boomerang 6000mAh 90C
JWick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #2405
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWick View Post
I find it great, that other persons build it and find the same "problems".
But there are easy ways to solve some of them.
1) Rear lowershock position - To adjust the ride height in the same range, you have to use other/lower spring plate. So I used them from my old HB TCX (#73510). They suit perfekt and you can easy set for example 4mm ride height.
1.2) Shock position - The biggest problem is, that the lower shock attachment ist much more inside the car and the shock has another angle, so that you have a complete different spring and shock transmission. I calculate a little bit and get a correction factor of 1.17. So your old spring hardness multiplied with 1.17 result in the spring hardness, which you have to use with an active suspension. Also you have to use harder oil. Concrete it means, if you use for example the Spec-R 2.5 Spring now you have to use the 2.9 Spring and instead of 350cSt oil you have to use 400cSt to have comparable values.
2) Rear roll bar - Here the same. To get nearly the same values, you have to use a correction factor of 1.26. So your old diameter divided by 1.26 result in your new diameter of the roll bar. So instead of the 3 point rear roll bar you have to use the 1 point front roll bar.

The biggest problem ist, that the roll center values also changed and
I have no desire to calculate that one too and i´m not 100% sure if my calculates are general right.

But we will see it next week and i will give you an detailed report
WOW
big paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #2406
Tech Regular
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Scotland
Posts: 456
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Try using RC Crew Chief - http://rccrewchief.wrightdesign.ca/ The Mi5-Evo has been modeled so you can swap out the various dimensions for front on to rear and have the program calculate the new values.
__________________
Swith Racing [www.swithracing.co.uk]
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:30 AM   #2407
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4
Default Mi5evo alloy chassis

anyone have any thoughts on alloy chassis on carpet?
Gino S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:04 AM   #2408
Tech Fanatic
 
cementsurfer86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: B-town, WA
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino S View Post
anyone have any thoughts on alloy chassis on carpet?
+1.
I'll be looking to pick one up as a tuning tool, but curious if anyone has had experience with it, seems like it would definitely help with high grip, such as our club.
__________________
Jesse Anderson / JROY386 / R_
theRACERunderground - "Budget Champions"
www.theracerunderground.blogspot.com
cementsurfer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #2409
Tech Regular
 
Racer X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 473
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

With the IIC going on this week in Vegas, I'm sure that something will be posted as several drivers are there and running the alloy chassis...stay tuned
__________________
Schumacher Mi6
Speed Passion Motors and ESCs
Integy
SpeedWorld Raceway Roseville CA.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #2410
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15
Default

[QUOTE=Gino S;13591703]anyone have any thoughts on alloy chassis on carpet?[/QUOTE:

We did test it to the 1st round of the Danish championship on a high grip Carpet track with Sorex 28. And this is one off the best things we have done to make the car even better on High grip tracks!
Schumacher Mi5-alloy-chassis.jpg-randers.jpgSchumacher Mi5-drcmu1-2014-randers.jpgSchumacher Mi5-car.jpg
__________________
Schumacher RcHouse Racing Team
Schumacher Mi6
www.rchouse.dk
KILDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #2411
Tech Master
 
roadkill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Max, North Dakota
Posts: 1,878
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to roadkill
Default

got a used mi5 last fri,with a bunch of rear arms in their marked bags,my ? is how do you tell the difference in the amount of tow,once you take them out of the bag?
thay all look the same to me.
__________________
need sponsor for upcoming dirt season.must be willing to throw lots of cash at off road cars.pm me and lets talk.
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:38 AM   #2412
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4
Default

[QUOTE=KILDK;13592732]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino S View Post
anyone have any thoughts on alloy chassis on carpet?[/QUOTE:

We did test it to the 1st round of the Danish championship on a high grip Carpet track with Sorex 28. And this is one off the best things we have done to make the car even better on High grip tracks!
Attachment 1239503Attachment 1239504Attachment 1239505
I seem to be finding that the alloy chassis develops under-steer on high grip, and rather surprisingly seems to work quite well on low grip as well. Have moved to 2.5 rear toe. Still under-steers.
Gino S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:12 AM   #2413
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denmark
Posts: 15
Default

[QUOTE=Gino S;13593687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILDK View Post

I seem to be finding that the alloy chassis develops under-steer on high grip, and rather surprisingly seems to work quite well on low grip as well. Have moved to 2.5 rear toe. Still under-steers.
We did have so much steering that we did use a geardiff with Ride45 in the front to make the car less agressiv in the steering, so maybe you have to make some set-up adjustments :-)
And we did also test the same set-up at our local very low-grip track and had the same very god experience as you
__________________
Schumacher RcHouse Racing Team
Schumacher Mi6
www.rchouse.dk
KILDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:32 AM   #2414
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 66
Default

@JWick: Car looks nice!
After reading your post it seems you are using the front Wishbones in the rear, which means that your ratio between wheel bump travel and damper travel is changed quite a lot. (damper and springs are moving less at same bump travel)
So if the ratio difference is at 1.26 (so 26% less movement), as you mentioned, you use 26% stiffer springs!
But the dampers not only move less, so damperforce is reduced by the changed ratio, also the SPEED!!! is changed. And as the speed nearly linearily effects the damping force the damper effect is reduced by the changed ratio in both ways.
Therefore you need to increase the damping effect by 1,26 * 1,26 = 1,59 (so you need 59 % more damping.) So i would recommend using about 550 cst oil. To get a) the same roll and heave stiffness and also the same roll and heave dampening.
I hope you can read my english ^^, coming from germany too.
Worst87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:56 AM   #2415
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4
Default

[QUOTE=KILDK;13593721]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino S View Post
We did have so much steering that we did use a geardiff with Ride45 in the front to make the car less agressiv in the steering, so maybe you have to make some set-up adjustments :-)
And we did also test the same set-up at our local very low-grip track and had the same very god experience as you
Thanks.

Did you also run the chassis braces? My car is so stiff with chassis braces and 2.5mm top decks - i'm wondering if this is over-kill?!
Gino S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:54 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0