R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-20-2014, 07:20 AM   #2371
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
I have a few suggestions. First thing I would try is lowering the rear wishbones to a 0.5mm shim. This may or may not work, as I am personally preferring them raised, but that does also make the rear react quicker, which could be part of the aggressive issue. Try that first, and see how it feels before moving onto other settings.

Next things to try would be top decks brace, and rear hub plates. Doesn't mention it in the setup, but from chatting with Chris, he's mentioned that he always runs the forward brace. I've tested it on and off a few times, and prefer the car with it fitted, and then tune the flex with the top decks. Find the steering is too aggressive without the brace, far more consistent with it.
If you really want to lock down the rear, try the 2 groove rear hub plates. I've found these work well at some tracks, but not others (can become too slow to rotate through the middle)
Also, more front hub top shims. Try 1mm or even 1.5. I've pumped a few Setups into RC crew chief (Bob should have the 5evo model up soon), and 0 or 0.5mm on the top give negative camber gain, and wears the tyres funny too, IMO. Will also raise the roll centre in the front a little as well.
More Ackerman shims. I find putting more angle on the links (less shims) makes the car more aggressive on initial steering, but also takes away some mid corner. My personal preference ATM is for 2mm, seems to make the steering more linear all round, and helps to numb a little around centre.

Hope that gives some pointers to try out
Erm Yeah kinda lol , So start with Chris's set up and make the ammendments you said above? I have also cut the rear wishbones on my Evo but not the front.
hydrakermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #2372
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

i'm having an issue..i switched out spurs gears and now the whole assembly has side to side play...and ideas how i can fix this ? thanks
thefnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:34 PM   #2373
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrakermit View Post
Erm Yeah kinda lol , So start with Chris's set up and make the ammendments you said above? I have also cut the rear wishbones on my Evo but not the front.
I would cut the fronts too. Stiff up front can make the car aggressive as well, certainly in a lower traction condition.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #2374
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefnshow View Post
i'm having an issue..i switched out spurs gears and now the whole assembly has side to side play...and ideas how i can fix this ? thanks
First off, I'd check the bearings aren't knackered, then make sure the spur one is seated properly and not deforming the spur.
Then make sure the end cap is on right (Bearing over the layshaft correctly etc), and the layshaft is screwed in tight.
Some side to side play is acceptable, helps to keep it free, but you obivously don't want it moving around too much.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #2375
Tech Champion

Some musings from recent racing and testing

http://www.thard.co.uk/recent-exploits/
Old 08-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #2376
Tech Apprentice

Hello everyone,

A really quick question. Does anyone know if the alloy wishbone spacers (U4583, http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/New_Ca...evo/U4583.html) will fit the Mi5?

I know they fit the Evo, I'm hoping they will fit the original Mi5 as well.

Thanks in advance,

Tony.
tonybod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #2377
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybod View Post
Hello everyone,

A really quick question. Does anyone know if the alloy wishbone spacers (U4583, http://www.racing-cars.com/pp/New_Ca...evo/U4583.html) will fit the Mi5?

I know they fit the Evo, I'm hoping they will fit the original Mi5 as well.

Thanks in advance,

Tony.
I'm afraid they don't as the mounting points are spaced further apart on the evo
Racing-cars.com
MWarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:36 AM   #2378
Tech Apprentice

Default hello Ed , do u have a setup starting point for track in shanghai for EVo .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
I have a few suggestions. First thing I would try is lowering the rear wishbones to a 0.5mm shim. This may or may not work, as I am personally preferring them raised, but that does also make the rear react quicker, which could be part of the aggressive issue. Try that first, and see how it feels before moving onto other settings.

Next things to try would be top decks brace, and rear hub plates. Doesn't mention it in the setup, but from chatting with Chris, he's mentioned that he always runs the forward brace. I've tested it on and off a few times, and prefer the car with it fitted, and then tune the flex with the top decks. Find the steering is too aggressive without the brace, far more consistent with it.
If you really want to lock down the rear, try the 2 groove rear hub plates. I've found these work well at some tracks, but not others (can become too slow to rotate through the middle)
Also, more front hub top shims. Try 1mm or even 1.5. I've pumped a few Setups into RC crew chief (Bob should have the 5evo model up soon), and 0 or 0.5mm on the top give negative camber gain, and wears the tyres funny too, IMO. Will also raise the roll centre in the front a little as well.
More Ackerman shims. I find putting more angle on the links (less shims) makes the car more aggressive on initial steering, but also takes away some mid corner. My personal preference ATM is for 2mm, seems to make the steering more linear all round, and helps to numb a little around centre.

Hope that gives some pointers to try out
hello greetings ED still remember the Shanghai outdoor track. hope u can give a a starting point setup for 13.5.
thanks
oldnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #2379
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWarren View Post
I'm afraid they don't as the mounting points are spaced further apart on the evo
absolutely they don't fit the Mi5, only Mi5 evo
Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #2380
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnoob View Post
hello greetings ED still remember the Shanghai outdoor track. hope u can give a a starting point setup for 13.5.
thanks
I'd give this one a go to start with, although for Junti, lower ride height and less droop should be fine (say RH 5.2f/5.4r, and droop 5.5f/4.5r), unless it's got way more bumpy since I was last there... Can you believe that was almost three years ago!

http://www.thard.co.uk/wp-content/up...e-17Aug14-.pdf

HiH
Ed
Old 08-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #2381
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcboy1983 View Post
hi happy to say the mi5evo is getting there a race day were i got 5th on the grid and a 2nd and 3rd place before the rain and even in damp conditions it handle brill and a 2nd and 3rd place in the finals

this is what i settled on did have more to try but rain halted that i would say setup wise its 90% there just tweeking now many thanks for the idea and tryhard for the message i did try the setup but for me this one worked better but thanks for going out ur way to help

also i know this looks like a hard setup but it seems to work on the banked corner even in the wet i havent finished wanna try 2.5mm top deck and camber link arms (short long amount of washer under ball joint )

Attachment 1223870
Hi update on this setup ( good but lacked steering bit pushie)I tried a few things for the sicc round at aldershot
1.5 mm under rear inner ball studs ( instead of 1 mm ) but didn't seem to change in handling that much
I then tried long rear camber links which made the car very front end happy so too much of what I was looking for . I the went to medium camber link length which was stop on with some dialling in of the handsets steering speed and going bk to 1mm under the ball studs as I was doing ok for yet another day I left it alone
This saw me get into a final 9 th ( drivers infront were better then me no chance of beating ) and final places of 7 th and 9 th my fastest laps of each round were in the top 5-10 every time ( just me letting the overall down ) going to play with fron camber links and sway bars next setup 95% there now easier to push or defend now
Old 08-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #2382
Tech Adept

Also the other driver at my track with an mi5evo tried my setup and said it felt stable and easy to push no sign of bk end being loose in the sweeper now at full throttle before our cars were on half
Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #2383
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Selling my Mi-5 if anyone is interested, here is the ad:

Schumacher Mi5 with tons of extras and 2 custom bodies
igetbombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:47 AM   #2384
Tech Apprentice

Default Mi5 Evo on carpet

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has a base/good starting set up for running th Evo on carpet?

Thanks
hydrakermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:19 AM   #2385
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Hey - does anyone know if Chris G was using cut arms at the euro's?
His setup sheet doesn't say.

Thanks
Steve
Gtr r34 m-spec is offline   Reply With Quote