R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-28-2014, 04:37 AM   #2341
Tech Regular

Tried a friends mi5 evo on low traction carpet with box setup, im impressed!

its exactly what i wanted my old mi5 to be.
it feels right with less rear grip, its alot easier to drive in tight corners
Old 07-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #2342
Tech Addict

has anyone tested the new green springs on the evo vs the old green springs on the old 5?

On my tester, the new evo green springs tested out AT 18 LBS. The old green springs tested out at 16.9 lbs. I put the old green springs on my evo, and it was a lot better.
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #2343
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teacher View Post
tcboy1983, what extra bits? With the Mi5evo you should have had to buy less in option parts.. With the new style camber adjustments you don't have to get all of the camber plates front and rear. Only things I can see a person needing are different arms to adjust toe...but the same amount of parts are needed from Mi5 to Mi5evo. This is the case with everything else on the car as well. Help me out what am I missing...
The front top deck brace is the only thing I added to the mi5

So far I have brought brace again so don't count that
Both top decks
Spring
And now the wish bone braces

Have also got the blinky mount but that because I like the size of the 44t

I ran my mi5 and was as fast as ppl my level even shocking some of the top drivers at my track ( only for a few laps lol ) and put this in the middle of a finals

There are 3 mi5 evo's at our track and I have the quickest all three in the b final and all 3 of use can make the a at our track one one them is a much better driver then me . So it's not like I am the only one struggling with it
It just not as planted as the mi5 even with all the slope which didn't bother me as it just worked
Old 07-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #2344
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcboy1983 View Post
The front top deck brace is the only thing I added to the mi5

So far I have brought brace again so don't count that
Both top decks
Spring
And now the wish bone braces

Have also got the blinky mount but that because I like the size of the 44t

I ran my mi5 and was as fast as ppl my level even shocking some of the top drivers at my track ( only for a few laps lol ) and put this in the middle of a finals

There are 3 mi5 evo's at our track and I have the quickest all three in the b final and all 3 of use can make the a at our track one one them is a much better driver then me . So it's not like I am the only one struggling with it
It just not as planted as the mi5 even with all the slope which didn't bother me as it just worked
I know aldershot (raced there a few times), and I can comfortably say, that on a similar grip level, on a track with similar bumps, my evo was still comforatbly faster (by a good chunk too) than the Mi5. Caveats obviously that track/tyres/class are different to what your running, but my tests were done back to back between the two cars, on the same day, and the Mi5 was far better setup and prepared than the evo was, purely from having run it longer, and knowing it better!

Honestly sounds to me like you need to give the car more time, and start adapting it to your style. Don't be afraid to stray from the kit setup, they are not the be all and end all From memory, getting the shocks right is particularly important, especially for the banked sweeper and it's ripples.

Ed

Last edited by TryHard; 07-28-2014 at 04:00 PM.
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #2345
Tech Adept

I am not on kit setup as it's just undriveable round the track and have got the car going better but just shocked at how it's not as good as the mi5 and I even had less trouble getting other brand car going well round my track

I had a few friends down the track wanting to change to the evo after seeing my mi5 and let's say don't think they will be now, I am shore it's will be quick but just my first impression after a few days racing is of some of the lease fun I have had in years and I will post what I find that fixes my problem
Old 07-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #2346
Tech Champion

Quote:
I am not on kit setup as it's just undriveable round the track and have got the car going better but just shocked at how it's not as good as the mi5 and I even had less trouble getting other brand car going well round my track

I had a few friends down the track wanting to change to the evo after seeing my mi5 and let's say don't think they will be now, I am shore it's will be quick but just my first impression after a few days racing is of some of the lease fun I have had in years and I will post what I find that fixes my problem
Post your current setup, and we can try to offer some help and advice
Old 07-29-2014, 04:31 AM   #2347
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

tcboy1983, sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with the car. From what you have posted sounds like you are going the wrong way with the car. If you purchased the thicker top decks and the front chassis brace to use on the car but need more grip, that to me is going the wrong way....same with the arm braces. It is my understanding from testing that the thicker upper deck, front chassis brace and the arm braces take away chassis flex thus reducing mechanical grip. If I were you I woud go thin top deck 2mm, no arm braces front or rear, no front chassis brace and cut arms front and rear. I would try running no shims under the arms to get the car to roll more and I would start with med to long camber links. This will make the car react slower but should have better overall grip. Once you find the grip you need you can slowly start stiffening up the car. Don't give up on it, I think you just need more test and tune days
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 AM   #2348
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Has anyone run a Mi5 or evo on carpet with foams yet? If yes then what parts were need to stiffen it up, do you have a good base setup?
Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #2349
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teacher View Post
tcboy1983, sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with the car. From what you have posted sounds like you are going the wrong way with the car. If you purchased the thicker top decks and the front chassis brace to use on the car but need more grip, that to me is going the wrong way....same with the arm braces. It is my understanding from testing that the thicker upper deck, front chassis brace and the arm braces take away chassis flex thus reducing mechanical grip. If I were you I woud go thin top deck 2mm, no arm braces front or rear, no front chassis brace and cut arms front and rear. I would try running no shims under the arms to get the car to roll more and I would start with med to long camber links. This will make the car react slower but should have better overall grip. Once you find the grip you need you can slowly start stiffening up the car. Don't give up on it, I think you just need more test and tune days

I haven't given up its just a little down beat I will give you bits a go but when we fitted the top deck the grip improved on the rear but the 3 mm top deck with blue springs made the car feel slugish on the front end but was on rails for the banked corner were as going bk to the 2.5 mm top deck it started to brake away every time I got use to it and pushed hard on the banked corner

Had a top driver drive our cars and he said the had to much steering and flex was dumping rear end grip and spinning out on the batnked corner that why we tried the top decks first and cars we a lot better but no a car I can chase or defend with yet

I am not one of the guys that buy a car if it doesn't work straight away sell it and get another brand and all the advise I have had has helped ( and thanks for it )but just wanted to blow off a little steam and confusion with the car
Old 07-29-2014, 02:20 PM   #2350
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I haven't given up its just a little down beat I will give you bits a go but when we fitted the top deck the grip improved on the rear but the 3 mm top deck with blue springs made the car feel slugish on the front end but was on rails for the banked corner were as going bk to the 2.5 mm top deck it started to brake away every time I got use to it and pushed hard on the banked corner

Had a top driver drive our cars and he said the had to much steering and flex was dumping rear end grip and spinning out on the batnked corner that why we tried the top decks first and cars we a lot better but no a car I can chase or defend with yet

I am not one of the guys that buy a car if it doesn't work straight away sell it and get another brand and all the advise I have had has helped ( and thanks for it )but just wanted to blow off a little steam and confusion with the car
I tested my three new evos today, all for the first time! With Martin Hofers setup two of the cars 21.5 blinky and 13.5 boost was really good! My sons 13.5 boost was really crap! The 13.5 cars are identical
Then it was easy to find the error... Changing the tyres and giving it more EPA on steering was the solution!
Have you tested with new tyres or tyres that has proved good grip the same day?
Good luck!
Viking73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #2351
Tech Champion

Quote:

What does the rest of the setup look like? Blue springs sound too soft to me, hence the sluggish feeling. 2.5mm top decks seem to be the go to for most asphalt setups ATM, and I would bolt on the wishbone straps as well (which will help increase gain back a little stiffness).
Also, make sure rear shocks are in hole 4 (one from outside), and try raising the rear suspension balls only (1mm under the lower balls). All those things have helped improve my car in lower traction conditions.

HiH
Ed
Old 07-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #2352
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
What does the rest of the setup look like? Blue springs sound too soft to me, hence the sluggish feeling. 2.5mm top decks seem to be the go to for most asphalt setups ATM, and I would bolt on the wishbone straps as well (which will help increase gain back a little stiffness).
Also, make sure rear shocks are in hole 4 (one from outside), and try raising the rear suspension balls only (1mm under the lower balls). All those things have helped improve my car in lower traction conditions.

HiH
Ed
So stand the shocks up, I have 1 mm under rear wish bones ,do u mean you run no washers under the front wish bones or do u have .5mm washers?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #2353
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Quote:
So stand the shocks up, I have 1 mm under rear wish bones ,do u mean you run no washers under the front wish bones or do u have .5mm washers?
right, we run 13.5 boosted indoor carpet med to high grip,
i also on changing from mi5 to evo was struggling as was big paul on here, didnt seem any where near like the mi5 was.
played around a bit and i ended up with 350 shock oil all round,
kit diff oil, 5.25mm ride height all round droop 5 f 4 rear, 1.5 camber all round, no washers under wish bones all round (with washers added to bulkhead side camber links to maintain camber gain but lower the roll centre), cut front and rear wish bones, front shock position kit and rear middle or number 2 from bottom.
when we were struggling with rear end we followed some advise given pages back to stand up the shocks this proved to be the wrong direction, hole 2 for 1st few rounds as the grip comes up middle hole.... result was very fast very consistent all round easier to drive to that speed than the mi5. i am also thinking of trying the front and rear braces along with the alloy chassis before moving on to mid motor. the only time the car struggled last week was quick change of direction from right hand on power to left 180 degree bend on breaks snapped a little but lap times we on it maybe just the driver
nmsraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #2354
Tech Champion

Quote:
Yes, 0.5mm under the fronts, 1mm under the rears. That will raise the rear roll centre and help to stop it dumping the rear grip. Also helps to increase rear forward traction.
Regarding the rear shocks, I always used to run middle hole on the old car, but trying it on this one makes the rear too snappy, and hard to drive consistently, especially on lower grip. The evo, IMO, seems to prefer the rears being a bit more stood up.

Couple of other things worth playing with too.
Ackerman - don't be afraid of trying a lot more shims on te steering. With the kit shims, the links are quite angled, and it's something I'm not too keen on. I've played around a fair bit so far, and quite like 2.5mm of Ackerman shims (using the kit steering plates), which makes the arms almost straight. More angle increases initial reaction, and takes away some mid.
Droop - be aware that if your measuring droop on gauges, the evo needs to be set to about 0.5mm less droop than the Mi5. (Eg a setting of 5 on a Mi5 is the same as 5.5 on the evo). This is due to the outer wishbone plastics being 1mm smaller in diameter on the evo. On smooth(ish) asphalt, I'm running 5.5F/4.5R (5.2/5.4mm ride height), whilst bumpy tracks I'll go to 5/4 (5.8/6.0 RH). It's funny, but when I reset my droop last weekend and took out about 1mm all round, car became a lot more settled AND less effected by bumps...and also went 3/10ths faster.... Go figure

HiH
Ed
Old 08-01-2014, 02:05 AM   #2355
Tech Apprentice

after another intense practice session I'd like to share some impressions about setup, this is the beautiful new track in Florence (Italy) with recent new asphalt, very smooth and high grip (with sugar water):

the cut front wishbones in this track and in this condition are really bad, with cut wishbones the car had very strange reactions, a lot of understeer at high speed, and when the speed decreases suddenly appears oversteer while with original wishbones the car has more entry, center and corner exit, about one second per lap ....yes, I said one second

another test was about straps, I started with all straps mounted (FF - FR - RR) but the car was too stiff, the tires began to whistle (due to the increased stiffness), and the car slowed down...after few laps I removed the FR strap and only without this the car was really better, very fast and consistent

in attachment my final setup, with this I set the best lap of the practice session and the new track record for no timing 13.5
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SetupMi5evo_20140730.pdf (385.3 KB, 165 views)