R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #2326
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What does the U4601 C/F Wishbone Strap Set do for the car as a tuning option? Has anyone tried them out? Thanks for any info.

Kenny
rckenny2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #2327
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckenny2000 View Post
What does the U4601 C/F Wishbone Strap Set do for the car as a tuning option? Has anyone tried them out? Thanks for any info.

Kenny
Yes, I have them on my evo. I would not drive my car without them. It seems like it stiffens the chassis up in the back a bit, and makes the steering more precise. I really like it.

Rich
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #2328
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop View Post
Yes, I have them on my evo. I would not drive my car without them. It seems like it stiffens the chassis up in the back a bit, and makes the steering more precise. I really like it.

Rich
I'm not understanding where the fit on the car, am I missing the boat? Where do they go?

Destiny, Xenon-USA, Genesis, MMR, On-Road Only!
BardSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #2329
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardSmith View Post
I'm not understanding where the fit on the car, am I missing the boat? Where do they go?
the front one fits in front of the front transmission housing...the other 2 fit in front and in back of the rear transmission housing...
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #2330
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The wishbone straps help in a couple of ways, but more then anything they help to stiffen the car up a little more.
I like to think of using the straps in a similar way to using one-piece and two-piece suspension blocks on other cars (Yok, Tam, Xgay etc), and is another tuning option.
Personally, I am only running the FF and RR strap, not the RF one. Seems to help tie the rear end a little more.

HiH
Ed
Old 07-23-2014, 02:42 AM   #2331
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcopbdcop View Post
the front one fits in front of the front transmission housing...the other 2 fit in front and in back of the rear transmission housing...
Can you provide photos please?

Old 07-23-2014, 05:30 AM   #2332
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardSmith View Post
Can you provide photos please?
Can see the rear straps in these photos (look to the counter sunk screw above the arm pivots).
Attached Thumbnails
Schumacher Mi5-mid-strap.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-rear-strap.jpg  
Old 07-23-2014, 05:58 AM   #2333
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Can see the rear straps in these photos (look to the counter sunk screw above the arm pivots).
Yes, got it thanks for doing that. It's kinda like the wildthing brace.

Like this...

Old 07-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #2334
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thank you for the info everyone, I'll give those a shot. I mainly run on asphalt 21.5. I really like the new blinky motor mount with the 44 tooth spur and the 1.5 rear arms.
rckenny2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #2335
Tech Adept

Not been funny here. But why cut the suspension arms to get more flex. Then add straps to stiffen it up again
big paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #2336
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
Not been funny here. But why cut the suspension arms to get more flex. Then add straps to stiffen it up again
It's a different type of flex.
Cutting the arms affects how the overall grip level (generally improves it, even in high grip), whilst the straps tune the reaction of the car... plus as you can add and remove straps, but not glue cut arms back together, that is IMO, a better option.

Actually tested out straps vs no straps tonight. Even only using the FF and RR straps, there was a noticeable improvement in car reaction, and a smoother feeling with them on. With them off, car felt like it was slow to respond to inputs, and also pushed more on power. Was about 2/10ths slower with them off, and hair less consistent too. So they stay on my car now... simples

Anyway, bit of a quick fire blog post, detailing the first few outings with the evo (setups attached too)
http://www.thard.co.uk/mi5-evo-update/

Last edited by TryHard; 07-26-2014 at 09:13 AM.
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:32 AM   #2337
Tech Adept

I have to say the mi5 is a lot faster then the evo straight out of the box easy to setup ( even if you just can't setup a car the kit setup is brill ) the evo is leaving me a little puzzled how everyone is saying it's better, yes the solved slop issues and tried to improve little bits the but I can't see it yet and also I never brought half the extra bits I have had to and my evo still isn't as fast as the mi5 even in kit setup

Last edited by tcboy1983; 07-28-2014 at 03:45 AM.
tcboy1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:52 AM   #2338
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcboy1983 View Post
I have to say the mi5 is a lot faster then the evo straight out of the box easy to setup ( even if you just can't setup a car the kit setup is brill ) the evo is leaving me a little puzzled how everyone is saying it's better, yes the solved slop issues and tried to improve little bits the but I can't see it yet and also I never brought half the extra bits I have had to and my evo still isn't as fast as the mi5 even in kit setup
Are you running on a low grip track? The Mi5 Evo was, in my view, changed to provide slightly less grip so that, on higher grip tracks the car will go through the corners better and be easier to drive. If you are running low to medium grip then you could benefit from the grip generated by the original Mi5 so it still works better for you?
Old 07-28-2014, 04:10 AM   #2339
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcboy1983 View Post
the track was slow yesterday,i struggled in quali but found the pace by the finals,i could tell you were struggling when i lapped you,what problems have you got with it,i was under the impression that the evo was developed in mod for carpet/high grip
so the mi5 is more suited to amcc,i was talking to mike about the cut arms and why he doesnt use the straps,i thought he should try them
Old 07-28-2014, 04:24 AM   #2340
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

tcboy1983, what extra bits? With the Mi5evo you should have had to buy less in option parts.. With the new style camber adjustments you don't have to get all of the camber plates front and rear. Only things I can see a person needing are different arms to adjust toe...but the same amount of parts are needed from Mi5 to Mi5evo. This is the case with everything else on the car as well. Help me out what am I missing...
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote