Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

Schumacher Mi5

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Aja Archibald, I only played with 3deg of toe yesterday. Hopefully the next time I go there will be a few more people to generate more grip...then I will play with the toe. 30 wt oil...hmmm...what springs? I've been trying to use the yokomo springs but I think they are to long, going to play with some others this week. I'll be at MRH Thurs and Sat from now till the IIC, so my hopes are to catch you there to compare notes Should be a good group of Schumacher guys rolling to the IIC.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Hi Iain,

I do have a draft evo build tip blog post on the go... Just need to find time to finish it off!
Also, I note your in Brisbane. Feel free to pop down to Logan tomorrow, we've got the 6hr enduro happening, and I'd be more than happy to help run you through any tips, and can have a look over the car too. Should be there from about 2ish till late.

Cheers
Ed
Awesome, thanks Ed. I'll be down there at some point.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The Teacher
Well I got my second practice day on the rug yesterday. Noticed a few things that I'm going to have to work on. First, like a few other guys who posted here I noticed the rear end of my car has started to wash out in switch backs and long fast corners. Tested most of the obvious things to fix this but ended up removing the rear sway bar and the rear top deck brace to fix the problem. I really don't feel this is the way to fix the problem but it worked and lap times dropped... Also noticed that my pistons/shocks allow a lot of "Blow by" which made my shocks feel like they have no dampening. I was using 40 and 37.5 wt oil with yok pink and blue springs. Maybe I built something wrong because they just don't feel right...
I am the person with sliding rear issue, the problem was solved by replace all breoken bearing, slightly heavier diff oil (3000) and 3mm top deck which is the most important change. The main reason for high speed cornering slide was the chassis has too much flex for high bite high speed. Adding top deck blace or using thicker top deck will stiff up the chassis so it wont overflex and unflex to destroy the rear traction.

Talk about building tips for evo, mine are the use of TRF diff plate grease at the button cap thread of the shock to prevent the button cap to come out during race, I did that to all my damper because it does happen. On top of that, be careful when inserting the pivot joint into the carbon lower arm, these pivot parts are directional, otherwise lower arm will bind to yhe crush stoper and bulkhead. The other things to be careful is the rear lower arm molding, if it is too tight while inserting the carbon arm, file off the carbon a little so that the carbon wont stress the plastic part to cause breakage, this destroy the rear molding and hub in my cars.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Oh Iain, not the schu! So disappointed.

Keith M.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by YOKOMOSHO
Oh Iain, not the schu! So disappointed.

Keith M.
Pfft, it's not like your running a yokomo! Plus I've run Schumacher's forever!!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mmmmm Yokomo. Or maybe xray, haven't owned one of them before. Maybe a change by years end.

Keith M.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by YOKOMOSHO
Mmmmm Yokomo. Or maybe xray, haven't owned one of them before. Maybe a change by years end.

Keith M.
Haha!! Then you can do your oldskool Yokomo call!

But you're off topic anyway!!
Old 07-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Tech Champion

Evo build tips blog post is up;

http://www.thard.co.uk/mi5evo/

Ed
Old 07-13-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Car Breaker, looking at what you did to resolve the problem I think we have different issues. When I went stiffer on setup the problem could be seen even more. When I took off the rear sway bar and rear brace the problem went away. I think there maybe something wrong, bent part or bad bearing or something....going over it to make sure everything is good.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The Teacher
Car Breaker, looking at what you did to resolve the problem I think we have different issues. When I went stiffer on setup the problem could be seen even more. When I took off the rear sway bar and rear brace the problem went away. I think there maybe something wrong, bent part or bad bearing or something....going over it to make sure everything is good.
I have check everything to ensure no broken parts on my car. It is that my local track does not like super soft chassis because of the rather high grip, Both my mi5 and evo prefer stiffer chassis and soft front end, If you have to go soft to be stable, I suspect that either you have you much front traction or too little rear if not any broken part in the rear.

I read your post again and notice that your shock doesnt sound right, better disassemble them completely to ensure everything is fine
Old 07-18-2014, 12:21 AM
Tech Master

Default Mini Mi5 continued

After testing the crude prototype, I decided to shorten the chassis by 47mm. Not only does it make the wheel base 210mm but also give perfect tightness of the 140t belt available from Schumacher.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1405666830
the chassis as shown in the picture are widen 2mm on each side because U have to move the battery outward by that amount to avoid battery hitting center pulley; a battery stopper was added at the spot too.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...1&d=1405667046
The rear battery holder was removed, instead, battery are hold using 2 tape and front battery holder in ARC R10 style. I file the slot at the edge of carbon to prevent breakage of the strip tapes
All electronics are mounted, Thanks to the genius design of Schumacher I have no problem fitting everything into the car, no need of smaller size esc. and plenty of space for the fan. even with 2mm extended the battery are still pretty far from the wheel. which is a plus compare to other big mini or 4wd mini with full size battery that has their battery right next to the rear wheel. this also ensure the centralization of weight for better handling.
test fit of the body, actually I have to cut small of the front foam and using different body post for the rear in order to fit the Focus st body, I am thinking of getting the Proline 2011 Camaro GS which is closer look to sedan and hopefully easier fit of body.
I am eager to test this baby in tract so I rush the painting. I am using 70 teeth spur and 31 pinion with 13.5t motor just to get a taste of it. plan to use a 10.5 or 8.5 turn after the car is properly setup. on a side note, A fellow reacer at my local tract using 6.5t turbo on his ARC R10 mini which as so fast and a little unstable to drive. I will not do that as I make this mini to drive slower than my touring yet have great handling. most importantly I can have some casual drive that wont hurt my battery so bad on hot summer (60 degree Celsius ground temp)
Attached Thumbnails Schumacher Mi5-imag0533.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-imag0544.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-imag0539.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-imag0543.jpg   Schumacher Mi5-imag0534.jpg  

Old 07-20-2014, 07:37 AM
Tech Addict

I bought the blinky motor mount for the evo, and tried to mount it on my MI-5. It mounted up on the bottom ok, but the top deck was in the way. Thats too bad. I would like to use it in my rcgt car.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Selling all my mi5 spares $150 pm me if interested. There's a lot and an unscratched 2mm stiff chassis in that bundle
Old 07-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TryHard
What's the rest of your setup? I had a similar problem a few months back at one particular track, turns out the rear was rolling too much, and 'dumping' it's grip. Going to 1mm shims under the rear lower arm balls solved the problem.

HiH
Ed
I did this as well as cutting the wishbone and the car broke away still but it's was just a controlled slide not ending with me face the wrong way , I then tried the 2.5 mm top deck and that has improved the rear 10 fold putting in fast laps but still not as planted as my mi5 round our banked sweeper
Old 07-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tcboy1983
I did this as well as cutting the wishbone and the car broke away still but it's was just a controlled slide not ending with me face the wrong way , I then tried the 2.5 mm top deck and that has improved the rear 10 fold putting in fast laps but still not as planted as my mi5 round our banked sweeper
The back end of my car was also quite loose. I placed a 1 mm shim b between the rear hub and the wheel, and changed the rear spring from the green to the blue. That locked the back end down for me very well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.