R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #196
Tech Initiate

Me too. But after ringing to place an order of parts I questioned them about the conversion and was told I need other parts for the car! Am still a bit confused but I guess they will clear this up. Getting more and more pumped I'm going to be torn each time I hit the track on which car to use!
Captain go slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #197
Tech Initiate

Sorry for the double post

Can't wait to see if the new diff and spool will fit in my mi4!
Old 04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #198
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain go slow View Post
They are indeed for the top deck! Just to let every one know aswell that will be getting the mi5 there is a little bit of confusion in regards to the mid motor assembly. You have to buy a conversion kit. I think Schumacher will clear this up. I spoke directly to Schumacher about this as I thought I would only have to buy just the belts to do the conversion!
Did they say what you needed... I had assumed just two different sized belts?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #199
Tech Initiate

They did it involves a new Lipo mount, belts and a new top deck.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #200
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Can't wait to see if the new diff and spool will fit in my mi4!
And new c-hubs/knuckles.

Actually, I'm quite curious if you could use the new camber link plates and swaybars on an Mi4/LP/CX.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #201
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
And new c-hubs/knuckles.

Actually, I'm quite curious if you could use the new camber link plates and swaybars on an Mi4/LP/CX.

-Mike
I'm guessing that the holes for the link plates will probably be different! And by the looks of it the sway bars are a different shape to the ones on the mi4.

And that's an intresting idea on the c hubs/knuckles.

From what I have been told the spec r geardiff will drop straight into the front of the mi5 without any worry of belt alignment!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #202
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Camber plates and roll bars could be fitted to a CXL (can't think why you'd want to!!).

Caster blocks / steering hubs - Yes I think this would fit the CXL, but I'm not sure if the Ackerman plates would line up properly with the CXL steering.

Gear diff, I think the new Mi5 one could be used in the front of the CX/CXL, but it won't fit the rear. This is the same reason that the older Spec R diff becomes the front diff for the Mi5.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #203
Tech Initiate

Is the spool in the mi5 considerably lighter than the one in the mi4 matt?

Last edited by Captain go slow; 04-25-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #204
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
They are indeed for the top deck! Just to let every one know aswell that will be getting the mi5 there is a little bit of confusion in regards to the mid motor assembly. You have to buy a conversion kit. I think Schumacher will clear this up. I spoke directly to Schumacher about this as I thought I would only have to buy just the belts to do the conversion!
If you compare pictures of the rear motor and mid motor cars the top deck is clearly a different shape on each car. I'm sure they could have easily designed it so you just had to flip the top deck around to convert it to mid, but Schumacher wouldn't be able to sell you a new top deck. In reality though designing it to use the same top deck parts for both styles would mean slightly compromising the rear motor design for an option that only a small number of people will try.
The manual lists the complete conversion kit as part number U4290, and also that the mid motor parts are the belts and the U4324 mid motor top deck. There are also the U4340 Mid belt lipo stops in carbon fibre, but they do look to just be carbon versions of the kit plastic stops and still use the same inner stops as the kit so I would say they weren't absolutely needed for the mid conversion.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #205
Tech Initiate

The mid motor layout is going to be where I'm starting with my kit.

I have also seen the video with chris Grainger saying you just have to move the mount forward.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #206
Tech Fanatic

I've also seen the video with Chris Grainger, and yes he does say you just need to swap the belts. Maybe the prototypes were designed that way, would seem a sensible decision as they would only have to hand make one top deck for each prototype, and before production the design was changed.

I saw the pictures on Schumachers website first, then watched the video. The first thing I did after that was look again at the pictures of the two chassis, and I came to the conclusion that what Chris Grainger said in the video was wrong.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #207
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Camber plates and roll bars could be fitted to a CXL (can't think why you'd want to!!).
I have an LP with long topdeck, and the swaybars are pretty annoying. The slop set screws don't stay put well in the aluminum, even with locktite. Plus it's harder to de-tweak the sways on the older car. So it'd be nice to run the new swaybars, even if I have to drill the arms and put balls in, or use CXL arms.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #208
Tech Regular

Quote:
They did it involves a new Lipo mount, belts and a new top deck.
It is now listed and is about 35 which is not too bad - I had noticed that the top deck was different but thought that it was just reversed. Definitely like the idea of this and running the mid motor mounted version indoors on carpet.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #209
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

grippagoat, yeah, in that case and you wanted to modify your LP then I can see why you might do that!

AFAIK the top decks are different on the production cars between rear and mid. At one point on the prototypes it was planned to use the same top decks, but that had to change and it wasn't really possible. The carbon battery holders for the mid are because you have to move the battery further out for the mid car - so they are basically longer than the kit plastic ones. Not 100% necessary, you can run without them. I haven't actually watched the video, mainly as I was about a 1m to Chris's left as he was filming it!

Spool weight, I'm not sure. I guess it might be a couple of grams lighter (max), but I'm not sure if it will fit in a CXL or not.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #210
Tech Addict

so, the biggest question is,,,,when do we get to actually put our hands on one?
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote